Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   General Racing Discussion (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-racing-discussion-194/)
-   -   In a Perfect World how would you set up the race classes? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/general-racing-discussion/197025-perfect-world-how-would-you-set-up-race-classes.html)

2 Trick Rick 10-10-2008 11:29 AM

In a Perfect World how would you set up the race classes?

In a perfect world and starting with a clean slate how would you like things changed, who you like more class? Maybe fewer classes?

Please no Neg. bashing just a positive discussion, you never know maybe we can accidentally find something that works for everyone.

DriverofDonzi 10-10-2008 11:51 AM

I would say.......put all different orgs (oss, sbi, opa) to become ONE org and race together....All same classes, no change...race for the rest of the season and determine who will win national champ and toward world champ. The reason is because of more competition, more fun, and you never know how many fans will attend to watch! :)

Chris

Wahoo ATV 10-10-2008 11:55 AM

SV and SCL only with a huge sponsor so you could actually break even racing.

audacity 10-10-2008 12:14 PM

PRO-TOUR only:
UNLIMITED-no rules
CAT-power-2-weight ratio
V-power-2-weight ratio
V-single-power-2-weight ratio
SS Cat
DONE---benchmark what they are doing outside North America...it's working so well, our boats are going there to race...hey, then they could come here and race too...what a concept!

KANTSTAYAWAY 10-10-2008 12:40 PM

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 2712178)
PRO-TOUR only:
UNLIMITED-no rules
CAT-power-2-weight ratio
V-power-2-weight ratio
V-single-power-2-weight ratio
SS Cat
DONE---benchmark what they are doing outside North America...it's working so well, our boats are going there to race...hey, then they could come here and race too...what a concept!

Since youre class seems to be catching on ,Where would you put the turbines .in unlimited or Cat ? or both ?

By PRO-TOUR do mean no entry classes on a pro tour weekend ?( p-class or whatever ea org calls it )

It would be nice to see ONE cat class , and ONE V class period .

I really liked the "supercat racing "concept . Go to the high profile existing sites ( help pay expenses ) I kinda hope that picks back up .

Any way you look at it less seems to be more . And as many people that want it , it just doesnt happen ?

P-class will always be around Theyre fun . I like 'em .

BlakeandBrock 10-10-2008 12:42 PM

In a perfect world... Blake and I would be racing a super stock boat.

audacity 10-10-2008 12:54 PM

unlimited is just that no rules...v or cat..4 or 6 engines...turbine...whatever!

cat-power-2-weight is just that...run whatever you want with the correct power-2-weight ratio...diesel, turbine, gas, alcohol..whatever...

PRO-Tour is just the above...the other orgs can do whatever their racers want.

audacity 10-10-2008 12:55 PM

Originally Posted by BlakeandBrock (Post 2712214)

get with it then!

when you guys coming to KW?

KANTSTAYAWAY 10-10-2008 02:01 PM

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 2712225)
PRO-Tour is just the above...the other orgs can do whatever their racers want.

Would the PRO-TOUR be a new entity ? I hope so . I hope its run by a source outside the racers themselves . An entity that would align the teams to their concept . With no input from outside sources once the plan is set .
Make a format that builds consumer confidence in boat manufacturer's . Along with credible engine builders . The good ones will survive the others will not .
Then you do not have to pick one source . The competitors will .

That is my perfect world any way .

MOBILEMERCMAN 10-10-2008 02:05 PM

Originally Posted by BlakeandBrock (Post 2712214)

Me too.

MOBILEMERCMAN 10-10-2008 02:13 PM

A reshuffle now would be trouble.

I like unlimited one class
Supercat 850 and 750 adjusted together
Super V power to weight
SS outboard
Svl

Every on else p Class

audacity 10-10-2008 02:20 PM

"Would the PRO-TOUR be a new entity ? I hope so ." DOESN'T MATTER!

"I hope its run by a source outside the racers themselves" BINGO

you put those classes in place and the rest will sort itself out. power-2-weight will solve many of the politics! we then, can focus on SAFETY! humm...kinda like europe.

audacity 10-10-2008 02:23 PM

"Supercat 850 and 750 adjusted together"...hard to do on the engine side of things...power curve is different...too many rules. make it power-2-weight and teams will evolve into what is working best...not, scrap everything and start over to do it again in a year!

KANTSTAYAWAY 10-10-2008 03:04 PM

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 2712316)
"Would the PRO-TOUR be a new entity ? I hope so ." DOESN'T MATTER!

"I hope its run by a source outside the racers themselves" BINGO

you put those classes in place and the rest will sort itself out. power-2-weight will solve many of the politics! we then, can focus on SAFETY! humm...kinda like europe.

Joe , that concept never seems to be explained in its entirety to me ,or at least in a version that I
who DO NOT RACE totally get . As a well seasoned participant whom seems not be angered easily , Will you set it out here in an abc 123 type form ? Seriously , no games from me .

audacity 10-10-2008 03:14 PM

1hp to every 3.5kg for V class

would have to work something out for cat class.

here are the euro rules:

http://cms.p1.haymarketnetwork.com/d...2008_Rules.pdf

if nothing else we should incorporate this class into our racing. know that old race boats are being purchased to go overseas and winning races!

KANTSTAYAWAY 10-10-2008 03:32 PM

Thank you .

MANITIE 10-10-2008 03:33 PM

Pro Series-

Vee unlimited...build what ever you want experimental class
Cat unlimted....build what ever you want experimanetal class
SC- make engine rules and keep them with no hull changes for 4 years ( race exactly how the plesure version is within cabin
SV- make engine rules and keep them with no hull changes for 4 years ( race exactly how the plesure version is without cabin
SVL
SS- No hull changes for 4 years...

Pro-Am

P-Class
1 - 6

12 Class's ALL UNDER ONE BANNER WITH 100+ BOATS......

DareDevil 10-10-2008 03:35 PM

In a prfect world, i have my own jacht and watch the races . LOL:party-smiley-004:

skaterdave 10-10-2008 04:02 PM

big one

Originally Posted by daredevil (Post 2712399)
In a prfect world, i have my own jacht and watch the races . LOL:party-smiley-004:

scotty, maybe a 110 footer with some hotties

audacity 10-10-2008 04:09 PM

With 12 clases fan's can not tell who is racing who.

2 classes run in 1 series in Europe. An outside source can market this effectively.

JBS Racing has been working on REAL TIME VIDEO from the boat to shore for a year and a half. JBS Racing has spent a great deal of money on developing the technology. We are looking to advance the sport. This focus will put us on the cutting edge of marketing relationships between motor sports and Corporate America for racing seasons to come.

We will then cascade this technology to other teams. Starting with the UNLIMITED Class. JBS Racing will HELP bring offshore racing to the next level.

"4 years"...this will not work because manufactures are not on that page as each other or other racers. power-2-weight allows evolution (pun intended!) to take place in the class. NOT,,,, **** came out with a new engine. Everyone switch or go race another class. Even if you change the power-2-weight ratio EVERY year...you just have to change a few things and your still using the same stuff!

KANTSTAYAWAY 10-10-2008 04:18 PM

Originally Posted by MANITIE (Post 2712398)
Pro Series-

Vee unlimited...build what ever you want experimental class
Cat unlimted....build what ever you want experimanetal class
SC- make engine rules and keep them with no hull changes for 4 years ( race exactly how the plesure version is within cabin
SV- make engine rules and keep them with no hull changes for 4 years ( race exactly how the plesure version is without cabin
SVL
SS- No hull changes for 4 years...

Pro-Am

P-Class
1 - 6

12 Class's

Gino .......Thats kinda where it is now ,or it seems to be .
Thats just too much .

Each race would need the quantity and quality of OPA's best site , Popra's best site ,and Sbi's best site .
i don't see it . I could be wrong . It happens a lot .

however less classes in a pro-series , and the more the merrier in the " PRODUCTION " - 100-600 SERIES .

The whole dream ? really comes down to just,......... who runs what where ,when ? Cant all race at the same site every time .

2 Trick Rick 10-10-2008 04:22 PM

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 2712425)
With 12 clases fan's can not tell who is racing who.

I could see 12 classes working, Just race 6 classes Saturday (2 classes in each heat) and the Spec class Sunday.

I would like to see a Superstock Cat Light were the older cats or smaller cats could run with 200hp mercs. I would also like to see as a racer a course with right and left hand turns if possible.

MANITIE 10-10-2008 04:22 PM

P-Class runs on Sat 3 races....

1st race Class 5 and 6
2nd race Class 3 and 4
3rd race Class 1 and 2

Sundays race

1st race SS and SVL (Cat and vee class runnning easy to tell whos winning)
2nd race SV and SC ( A cat class and a vee class running at the same time...easy to tell whos winning in each class)
3rd race Vee Unlimited and Cat Unlimited ( a cat class and vee class running easy to tell whos winning)

We can never get rid of our open cockpit boats....they make up more then half of all race boats.....

SS should remain a class
SVL has 7 to 10 boats out there racing....
SC between 750's and 850's there are 8 to 10 boats...
Cat Unlimited ( beween turbine and piston there are 7+ boats)
Vee Unlimited ( there will be around 4 to 6 boats next year)

The reason I say no hull changes...look at what Reggie has done to SV...ever boat he built he made changes to it to make it faster and made the rest obsolete....now look at Factory race in 2000...you could race a new boat or a 4 year old boat and it was the same hull...each running the same speed...

You need to really look at this power to weight ratio thing...we took 7 vee hulls and ran the numbers....they don't match up even close...the older boats speed can not match the speed of todays boats....

2 Trick Rick 10-10-2008 04:30 PM

Originally Posted by MANITIE (Post 2712442)
P-Class runs on Sat 3 races....

1st race Class 5 and 6
2nd race Class 3 and 4
3rd race Class 1 and 2

Sundays race

1st race SS and SVL (Cat and vee class runnning easy to tell whos winning)
2nd race SV and SC ( A cat class and a vee class running at the same time...easy to tell whos winning in each class)
3rd race Vee Unlimited and Cat Unlimited ( a cat class and vee class running easy to tell whos winning)

Nice concept!

Another thing that would be nice would be a true entry level class. Maybe
Make it a trophy only class with a much cheaper yearly sign up fee, like $250
for any 2 races and 400 for the year. Really try and reach out to the guy with the
25 Baja, 28 Sunsation and so on, maybe even rent GPS units to help keep there
cost down.. try to get them hooked!!

KANTSTAYAWAY 10-10-2008 04:39 PM

Is a saturday sunday race format do,able at each site ?

In order to keep a true fan base ,YOU have to show up at every site ,every time .

Will youre format cover this ?

This thread is about " in a perfect world " which I assume means " mine or youres " .In that context are my questions and views .

audacity 10-10-2008 04:41 PM

Offshore racing is progressively boring after the first lap. AND I'm a racer. Do you think a fan would rather see a P5 boat vs. a Cat going 150+...PRO-SERIES PREREQUISITE, 1 Question only: Can you market that class globally?
P5=NO...SuperCat=YES...P5=local class...SuperCat=PRO-SERIES...

More racing w/less classes. Pracitce ,qualifying, heat races, finials. ALL effect race position for the next.

MANITIE 10-10-2008 04:46 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick (Post 2712445)
Nice concept!

Another thing that would be nice would be a true entry level class. Maybe
Make it a trophy only class with a much cheaper yearly sign up fee, like $250
for any 2 races and 400 for the year. Really try and reach out to the guy with the
25 Baja, 28 Sunsation and so on, maybe even rent GPS units to help keep there
cost down.. try to get them hooked!!

Hey Rick...

In 2000 the 24 Baja Outlaw raced in F1....and today could race in Class 6 if they wanted to give it a shot...and a 28 Sunsation use to race in P-5 in APBA in 2002....so today they could run in Class 5....you could do a try out period...1st race is $200 to race...if you return your $200 gose to your equipment fees and you then pay the balance.....

MANITIE 10-10-2008 04:48 PM

Originally Posted by KANTSTAYAWAY (Post 2712454)
Is a saturday sunday race format do,able at each site ?

In order to keep a true fan base ,YOU have to show up at every site ,every time .

Will youre format cover this ?

This thread is about " in a perfect world " which I assume means " mine or youres " .In that context are my questions and views .

Kantstayaway....this is the way the ABPA use to run there Org in 1999-2003....so it has been done and can be again...not all your P-Class racers can make ever race...the never did...but most of your Pro Series guys did....

MOBILEMERCMAN 10-10-2008 04:51 PM

Yes Gino,

Yes nice,
That could also work next season for joint races. I understand most sites want 2 days of racing.

2 Trick Rick 10-10-2008 04:52 PM

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 2712457)
Offshore racing is progressively boring after the first lap. AND I'm a racer. Do you think a fan would rather see a P5 boat vs. a Cat going 150+...PRO-SERIES PREREQUISITE, 1 Question only: Can you market that class globally?

More racing w/less classes. Pracitce ,qualifying, heat races, finials. ALL effect race position for the next.

Thats why you would race 2 days, P classes Saturday and the Supercats, Super-V's and Turbine Sunday.

Maybe another way to keep races interesting is shorten the length so the boats dont have time to break away from each other. Than run a 2 race format like OSS (I think it was OSS) did this summer with the SVL.

MANITIE 10-10-2008 04:53 PM

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 2712457)

Joe...I agree...but to a point...

Of the 90+ race teams today....how many can afford to race in a Pro Series Class....
and lets remember....Is P-5 class marketable....YES...in 2000-2003 F1 was one of the biggest Offshore class and had the most TV time becasue of its marketabily......
Also look ever seas...they have over 23 boats in a HONDA Series running 27 foot open cockpit boats runnning 225 Honda O/B's with its own series....outside of Class 3...its there biggest class of Offshore racing over there....

MANITIE 10-10-2008 04:56 PM

Originally Posted by MOBILEMERCMAN (Post 2712466)
Yes Gino,

Yes nice,
That could also work next season for joint races. I understand most sites want 2 days of racing.

HOLY CRAPP JIM......DID YOU JUST AGREE WITH ME ON SOMETHING.....ITS GOING TO SNOW.....

2 Trick Rick 10-10-2008 05:01 PM

Originally Posted by MANITIE (Post 2712464)
Hey Rick...

In 2000 the 24 Baja Outlaw raced in F1....and today could race in Class 6 if they wanted to give it a shot...and a 28 Sunsation use to race in P-5 in APBA in 2002....so today they could run in Class 5....you could do a try out period...1st race is $200 to race...if you return your $200 gose to your equipment fees and you then pay the balance.....

I would like class 6 opened to 29ft and under, but a trophy only class with no purse.
Offer up 2 races seeing as it seems there are always 2 races close to each other like
St. Clair and Harrison, Ocean City and Cambridge, Pt and NY. This way a guy can
Really get a feel for racing.

And but opening up the size to 29 and under you open your possible market 28 sunsation,
25 Sunsation, 27 Fountains, 29 Fountains, 28 Velocities and so on.

Buy keeping the class as a Trophy you would help cut down on the Sandbaggers and bring out some newbies that after a year may step up to 5 and maybe even up again.

I guess that would be the closest thing to developing a “feeder class”

I'm not saying this is perfect, just putting it out there..

KANTSTAYAWAY 10-10-2008 05:08 PM

Originally Posted by MANITIE (Post 2712465)
Kantstayaway....this is the way the ABPA use to run there Org in 1999-2003....so it has been done and can be again...not all your P-Class racers can make ever race...the never did...but most of your Pro Series guys did....

OK I fell in love with youre sport at that very time . Probably why I am still pestering you all .

Never the less . The ' PRO SERIES " SUPER CAT - SUPER V SERIES " whatever you want to call it needs too have teams be responsible to show up at ALL events . That builds a fan base , which attracts sponsors .

however a major sponsor will not show up for a while . You need to prove youselves .
i,d be surprised if they could find youre current addresses .
That sounds really mean I know . I dont like saying it .but change is a daily event here .

A lot of great people in this sport right now .

So I guess " in a perfect world " .......you wouldnt have to listen to me . :ernaehrung004:

audacity 10-10-2008 05:10 PM

Originally Posted by MANITIE (Post 2712471)
Joe...I agree...but to a point...

Of the 90+ race teams today....how many can afford to race in a Pro Series Class....
and lets remember....Is P-5 class marketable....YES...in 2000-2003 F1 was one of the biggest Offshore class and had the most TV time becasue of its marketabily......
Also look ever seas...they have over 23 boats in a HONDA Series running 27 foot open cockpit boats runnning 225 Honda O/B's with its own series....outside of Class 3...its there biggest class of Offshore racing over there....

F1 IS NOT P5. F2 is NOT P2...those DAYS ARE OVER! NOT worth talking about. it's done, it failed the test of time... not coming back. POKER-RUN boats have more of a show. it's not going to take too many more people being killed and poker-run will be done!

marketable yesterday does not mean it's marketable today. The class you mentioned ARE NOT BEING marketed GLOBALLY. P1 in Europe is reaching out to new markets, such as China.

"how many can afford to race in a Pro Series Class"....DING...it's PROFESSIONAL RACING.

audacity 10-10-2008 05:17 PM

PRO-Series=pay for the entire season up front or surcharge for preregistering during the season. NO at the race registration. It's how other forms of PROFESSIONAL RACING do it. Get your $hit together, if you consider yourself a pro. Ya can't run a true pro series with a bunch of maybe's and what-if's from any angle.

MANITIE 10-10-2008 05:23 PM

Originally Posted by audacity (Post 2712489)
PRO-Series=pay for the entire season up front or surcharge for preregistering during the season. NO at the race registration. It's how other forms of PROFESSIONAL RACING do it. Get your $hit together, if you consider yourself a pro. Ya can't run a true pro series with a bunch of maybe's and what-if's from any angle.

Not to seem like I'm being a smart @ss or something...but we did that in OPA....paid all fee's up front but we had no entree fee's all year....but I see what your saying in Org that have entree fee's....

MOBILEMERCMAN 10-10-2008 05:29 PM

Originally Posted by KANTSTAYAWAY (Post 2712484)
OK I fell in love with youre sport at that very time . Probably why I am still pestering you all .

Never the less . The ' PRO SERIES " SUPER CAT - SUPER V SERIES " whatever you want to call it needs too have teams be responsible to show up at ALL events . That builds a fan base , which attracts sponsors .

however a major sponsor will not show up for a while . You need to prove youselves .
i,d be surprised if they could find youre current addresses .
That sounds really mean I know . I dont like saying it .but change is a daily event here .

A lot of great people in this sport right now .

So I guess " in a perfect world " .......you wouldnt have to listen to me . :ernaehrung004:

I agree with you too.
The classes with committed full season racers are the show. It doesn't matter how many, but how many do every race. That is where the marketability comes in.

KANTSTAYAWAY 10-10-2008 05:53 PM

[QUOTE=audacity;2712425]

JBS Racing has been working on REAL TIME VIDEO from the boat to shore for a year and a half. JBS Racing has spent a great deal of money on developing the technology. We are looking to advance the sport. This focus will put us on the cutting edge of marketing relationships between motor sports and Corporate America for racing seasons to come.

We will then cascade this technology to other teams. Starting with the UNLIMITED Class. JBS Racing will HELP bring offshore racing to the next level.

"QUOTE]

I left this alone hoping some one else would do it .

The above is the original AMF format ..

While i wish the LLC. had survived . It did not . It died with a piece of me .
Neverthe less At a boat show in atlanta another guy picked up the ball and ran like hell .
He found a sponser and has been doing for four years What you are undertaking .
You should team up !

sbracing 10-10-2008 06:27 PM

Originally Posted by 2 Trick Rick (Post 2712481)
I would like class 6 opened to 29ft and under, but a trophy only class with no purse.
Offer up 2 races seeing as it seems there are always 2 races close to each other like
St. Clair and Harrison, Ocean City and Cambridge, Pt and NY. This way a guy can
Really get a feel for racing.

And but opening up the size to 29 and under you open your possible market 28 sunsation,
25 Sunsation, 27 Fountains, 29 Fountains, 28 Velocities and so on.

Buy keeping the class as a Trophy you would help cut down on the Sandbaggers and bring out some newbies that after a year may step up to 5 and maybe even up again.

I guess that would be the closest thing to developing a “feeder class”

I'm not saying this is perfect, just putting it out there..

We don't need a feeder class. If someone wants to race and
has the financial backing to do it, P class racing offers 6 classes for them to race in. Offering a trophy class won't
bring in any new racers. P class racing as OPA has set up
is working in my opinion.
The problem lies with the "Pro Classes" There are too many.
NASCAR has 1 premier class. NHRA has 4. Indycar has 1.
Grand am Rolex has 2.
To most casual fans a catamaran is a catamaran. Why then
is there more than 1 catamaran class? Turbine, Supercharged, 850, 750, 525 etc... Nothing against the teams
in these classes, but why not one class with one engine package? Same with supervee. Only need 1 class there.

In my opinion:
Supercat Class
Super Vee

Everyone else P Classes 1 - 6

Rich