Air Tank questions for canopy >

Air Tank questions for canopy

Notices

Air Tank questions for canopy

Old 07-19-2010, 03:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Air Tank questions for canopy

i want to take the 4 large air bottles out of speedy and just put in some small self breathing air tanks in, i can loose a few hundred pounds by removing those large tanks in the sponsons

my question is what and where do i get those buddy tanks that have the regulator on the top by the valve
Old 07-19-2010, 03:35 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Wild
i want to take the 4 large air bottles out of speedy and just put in some small self breathing air tanks in, i can loose a few hundred pounds by removing those large tanks in the sponsons

my question is what and where do i get those buddy tanks that have the regulator on the top by the valve
You can get them at any scuba shop. They are called Spare Air.

http://www.spareair.com/
Old 07-19-2010, 04:32 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

Remember, if you get yourelf in a situation where yu actually need air... those little things will only do you any good if you are conscious enough and capable of grabbing them. If you or your buddy is actually stuck or is anything but completely calm cool and collected, you will blow thru that little spare air incredibly fast. Tank, valve, regulator and mounting should be under 45 lbs a tank for an 80. if there are 2 of you your only talking 2 tanks, less than 45 lbs a side. there is no need for 4 80's unless your on fulltime, 1 80 per person is basically overkill, (uunless your on full time air) but its one of those things where it's better to have too much air then not enough. If you find yourself in a situation where dont have enough, your basically out of options as far as rethinking the equation........
Old 07-19-2010, 05:29 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by phragle
Remember, if you get yourelf in a situation where yu actually need air... those little things will only do you any good if you are conscious enough and capable of grabbing them. If you or your buddy is actually stuck or is anything but completely calm cool and collected, you will blow thru that little spare air incredibly fast. Tank, valve, regulator and mounting should be under 45 lbs a tank for an 80. if there are 2 of you your only talking 2 tanks, less than 45 lbs a side. there is no need for 4 80's unless your on fulltime, 1 80 per person is basically overkill, (uunless your on full time air) but its one of those things where it's better to have too much air then not enough. If you find yourself in a situation where dont have enough, your basically out of options as far as rethinking the equation........
+1......I wouldn't race under a lid w/ anything less than full time air.
Old 07-19-2010, 06:31 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Great answers, thanks, I'm not racing just doing poker runs, not worried about flipping it , worried about someone else doing something stupid and hitting us, just want to be prepared . 525 boat, so I know I'm not going to win any races, spent some time with johnny T in the boat and he gave me tons of great advise should I end up upside down, I also want to take the dunk test when the races come to loto. I usually forget to turn the tanks on and off when I run, so I know having the spare air will be safer
Old 07-20-2010, 08:52 AM
Racer
Racer

If weight is the issue consider researching a carbon fiber tank.

Carbon fiber cylinders enjoy several advantages over the more commonly used scuba tanks.

Carbon fiber tanks can be filled to 4500 psi while most scuba tanks are only rated to 3000 psi. This higher pressure capability not only allows the carbon fiber tank to hold more useable air, but it also enables it to supply more fully-rated fills versus a regular scuba tank.
We compared an 88 cu. ft. carbon fiber tank to a regular scuba tank and found it supplied nine times the full fills of a scuba tank.

Carbon fiber tanks are available in several different sizes. The large 88 cu. ft. tank is 21 & 1/2" tall with an outer diameter of 6.9" in diameter. The small 17 cu. ft. tank is only 15.2" high and 3.8" in diameter.

Carbon fiber tanks weigh about one-third as much as a corresponding steel scuba tank. An empty 88 cu. ft. CF tank weighs about 12 & 1/2 pounds. An empty small bottle weighs about 6 pounds. That is quite a weight reduction when compared to a 35-40 pound scuba tank.

Carbon fiber tanks are easier to transport. Given their compact size and their lower weight, handling a carbon fiber tank is considerably easier.