Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Cowes to Monte-Carlo Powerboat Grand Prix - 2013. >

Cowes to Monte-Carlo Powerboat Grand Prix - 2013.

Notices

Cowes to Monte-Carlo Powerboat Grand Prix - 2013.

Old 12-20-2010, 01:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cowes to Monte-Carlo Powerboat Grand Prix - 2013.

I posted the following on the Classic section of the Forum but now realise that I should have posted it here instead.

It's Monte-Carlo or bust!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
It’s Monte Carlo or Bust! England to Monte-Carlo in June of 2013. 2,400 nautical miles off deepwater offshore powerboat racing. This is the longest and toughest offshore powerboat race in the world – bar none. Going through territorial waters of France, Spain, Portugal, British (Gibralter) and then running up through the Mediterranean Spanish and French Rivera’s for 700 miles to Monte Carlo.

This race has only happened once before in the history of powerboat racing – in 1972. So it is time to resurrect this great epic race once more and the team that is doing it is the same as ran the 1,400 mile Round Britain Race in 2008. Headed up by the man who likes to lay down the challenge to powerboat racers, Mike Lloyd and his two cohorts Peter Myles and Alan Goodwin. Mike likes to offer the adventure and the dream and this race provides both.

Open to any powerboat from 26ft to 50ft fitted with diesel or petrol, inboard or outboard 1 to 4 engines with a maximum of 27 litres (Outboards 22 litres) and with petrol power which have to be naturally aspirated – except for outboards. Legs between some of the Venues will be anything from 190 miles to over 300 so long range fuel tanks WILL be needed.

This is a race like no other. One to tell your grandchildren about and certainly one that your mates would never even contemplate, why? because you can’t even imagine how tough this race is for both crew and boat. It's a shredder!! Racing offshore in big seas for up to five hours every day in unknown waters – back to back with a rest day every four legs is only for the brave! Don't forget, Marathon racing in Europe means that when you leave port and until you reach your destination you are ON YOUR OWN and have to be self sufficient if problems occur. When you are 40/50 miles from land you have to be well prepared.

Having said that, such is the interest, within only three weeks 34 Race Teams have “committed” from Greece, Germany, Belgium, Italy, Ireland, Norway and Sweden plus of course many from the U.K. A truly International field but, no Americans - so far!

For more details or information on this epic adventure contact Mike Lloyd at: [email protected] or see the race developing on Facebook at: http://www.facebook.com/cowesmontecarlo2013 and at www.Boatmad.com -- web site: www.cowestomontecarlo.com

It’s - MONTE-CARLO OR BUST!
Old 12-20-2010, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I wish we could get racing like this off the ground in the US. Hell, I was glad to see even the tiny around LI race get off the ground this year, but even that proved to be too tough to complete for all but a back yard die-hard in an old 30' Sonic!

Maybe next year will be a little better, and I think it will be... as long as the forecast calls for less than two footers!
Old 01-05-2011, 11:46 AM
Registered

Latest info on the Race.

After only four weeks we now have 41 race teams wishing to take part in this great legendary race, and we still have two and half years before race day!!

11 nationalities are now involved with teams from Scotland, Ireland, England, Spain, Germany, Italy, Greece, the Balearics, Norway, Sweden and America.

2,400 nautical miles of deepwater offshore powerboat racing. This is the longest and toughest offshore powerboat race in the world – bar none. Going through territorial waters of four countries and then running up through the Mediterranean via the Côte d'Azur to Monte Carlo.

I don't think powerboat racing can get any better than this!
ML.
Old 01-05-2011, 01:22 PM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Who is the American team?

I think a great boat for this race would be the 51' Bladerunner(2005 RoundBritain winner). With triple diesels it would be a contender for sure.

Last edited by Catmando; 01-05-2011 at 01:33 PM.
Old 01-11-2011, 07:23 AM
British member!
VIP Member

Originally Posted by Catmando
Who is the American team?

I think a great boat for this race would be the 51' Bladerunner(2005 RoundBritain winner). With triple diesels it would be a contender for sure.
It's not a monohull so it's ineligible, and it broke a record rather than winning a race - the Round Britain race was in 2008. Hugo who was the main man behind the attempt is also behind the 2012 Round Britain race - should be a nice warm up to the Monte Carlo event!

If it's too loud you're too old!

BananaShark Racing

British Champions 2005!
Old 01-14-2011, 09:17 AM
Registered

PRESS RELEASE

Donzi Marine Enters Cowes-Monte Carlo Grand Prix Ocean Race

Washington, NC USA & London, England, January 7th, 2011 — The United States-based high performance fiberglass powerboat manufacturer Donzi Marine has committed to participate in the 2013 Cowes-Monte Carlo Grand Prix, becoming the first American entry in the 2,400 nautical mile ocean race.

With today’s announcement at the Tullett Prebon London International Boat Show, Donzi joins a growing, international field of Grand Prix entrants hailing from Belgium, Germany, Greece, Ireland, Italy, Norway, Sweden, and the United Kingdom.

Donzi announced plans to build an entirely new model to race in the event: a 43-foot, five-seat ocean racer showcasing their latest technology, and are currently reviewing the best propulsions options available for the challenge.

The Cowes-Monte Carlo Grand Prix will mark Donzi’s first return to factory-sponsored, factory supported offshore racing since 2002-2003, when Team Donzi’s 38’ ZR Competition models won APBA/UIM National Championships in both the Factory II and Super Vee classes in the United States.

The Donzi entry will be piloted by Daniel Cramphorn and Kim Collins, both of the U.K., who own and race the “Team 26” Donzi 38 ZR Competition in Europe’s Powerboat P1 motorsport series; and Donzi’s vice president of sales, Craig Barrie, a veteran of offshore racing both in the U.S. and abroad.

Craig Barrie stated, “The modern racing world has never seen an event like this, a grueling, open-ocean race that spans the United Kingdom, France, Spain, and Portugal, before crossing the Straights of Gibraltar and running up the Mediterranean Sea to Monte Carlo. We’ll put Donzi’s speed, strength, and reliability to the test on a global stage against an international field of competitors in a genuine ocean race. This is an unprecedented opportunity to showcase Donzi’s rough-water handling and performance, in a factory-built raceboat.”

Barrie added, “I’m particularly excited to join our friends Daniel Cramphorn and Kim Collins for this event, as they are two of the most talented and enthusiastic young racers in the offshore world, and also diehard, dedicated Donzi guys who together have owned five of our boats! This will be quite an adventure, and we will make quite a team.”

Daniel Cramphorn stated, “To be given the privilege of competing in a Donzi in what I’m sure will be the worlds greatest powerboat race is a good as it gets! Kim and I have always been big fans of the brand and are very aware of its illustrious racing history starting with the late, great founder Don Aronow. So we will be giving it everything in adding our own chapter to it! The race will obviously be the biggest challenge we’ve faced, but with the help of Craig’s experience and our great support crew there really is only one position we plan on being in when we cross the line in Monte Carlo.”

With its 2,400 Nautical miles of open ocean racing, the Cowes-Monte Carlo Grand Prix is being billed as the longest and toughest offshore powerboat race in the world. The June 2013 event will mark only the second time in history that this race has been held. For more information on the Cowes-Monte Carlo Grand Prix, visit www.cowestomontecarlo.com.

Team 26 Racing Accomplishments:
Won the Cowes – Poole - Cowes race in 2008.
Won of 6 out of the 10 P1 World Championship races in their debut season in 2009.
Won Race 1 at the SBI Key West World Championships in 2009.
World Speed Record Holders for a P1 Supersport Class boat set in November 2010.

About Donzi Marine: In business since 1964, Donzi Marine builds over 20 models of high performance fiberglass pleasure boats ranging from 16 to 43 feet. These include the ZR line of race-bred high performance boats, the tournament-proven ZF fishing series, the innovative ZFX line of performance center consoles, and the legendary Classic sport boats. In the past decade, Donzi race boats have won six assorted APBA/SBI/UIM National Championships, two APBA World Championships, and one P1 Powerboat World Championship. Visit Donzi’s website at www.donzimarine.com.

For more information on this story please contact Josh Stickles at 941.400.8494 or [email protected].
Old 01-14-2011, 05:25 PM
Registered

Received 482 Likes on 162 Posts

2,400 nautical miles wow!
Old 01-20-2011, 01:39 AM
Registered

The number of race teams on board now is at 45 from 12 nations!!

On the morning of Saturday June 8th 2013 we will have 50 of the finest powerboats in the world on the start line at Cowes in the U.K, 2,400 nautical miles ahead of them, 14 days visiting 11 cities in 4 countries with the jewel of Monte-Carlo the destination.

For powerboat racers it can't get any better than that - join us.

It's Monte-Carlo or bust!
ML.

Last edited by Mike Lloyd; 01-20-2011 at 01:41 AM.
Old 01-20-2011, 01:49 PM
Registered

What is the global budget for this race if I already have a boat, and just need a good engine work ?
Old 01-21-2011, 09:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Maelstrom TG38
What is the global budget for this race if I already have a boat, and just need a good engine work ?
Let me have your email address and engine HP - the cost of entry into the race is being worked out on HP - and I will work it out for you. My email address is
[email protected] Look forward to hearing from you.
ML.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.