2012 APBA Detroit Gold-Cup Races

Notices

2012 APBA Detroit Gold-Cup Races

Old 07-17-2012, 01:45 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default 2012 APBA Detroit Gold-Cup Races

I went to the 103rd Running of the APBA Detroit Gold-Cup Races this weekend. The weather was a little hot but still OK. There appeared to be a lot more spectators attending this year and there was some great racing. One boat flipped over on Saturday and two boats flipped over on Sunday. The most important thing was that no one was injured, just shaken up and the boats can always be fixed or rebuilt. Spirit of Qatar was the dominant boat to beat all weekend. Dave Villwock in Spirit of Qatar won the 2012 Gold-Cup Race and has won the last 5 Gold-Cups Races and has won 10 Gold-Cup Races making him the oldest winner of the Gold-Cup and the all time winningest driver with 67 title wins. Steve David in Miss O'BOY Oberto/Miss Madison gave Dave Villwoch his closest competition but he just didn't have enough to get the win but did a fantastic job driving, like all the other races did putting on a great show. To my surprise I saw the Fastest Man on Water "Ken Warby" a living legend and a hero of mine there with a flat bottom boat (FURY) Ken Warby's Motorsports doing some laps on Saturday with another racers who I didn't know. Last time I saw Mr. Warby was about 3-4 years ago at the Detroit Gold-Cup Races when John Haggin was there with the Miss Geico Race Team. Would of really like to have said hello to this man, who is still climbing into race boats that I would have trouble getting into and I'm much younger then him, a true racer and living legend. The P-1 Offshore Class was racing there along with some Vintage boats such as Miss Vernor's, Miss Budweiser an a few others. The F-18 Naval Fighter Jet put on a great show all weekend at 12:30 PM. It is one of the best shows and a real crowd pleaser and I don't care how many times you have seen it, each time is like your first, the speed and sound is just unbelievable. Finally I want to thank "all the racers, their crews, all of the great sponsors, all the Law Enforcement Patrol Boats, all the Medical/Safety Boats and all of the hundreds of Volunteer's that make this race happen every year for the last 103 years now. Thank You!
Old 07-17-2012, 01:56 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

cool
Old 07-18-2012, 01:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Missed it this year...... Sounds like it was a great show I heard my old friend Cal Phipps had engine issues and didn't make the show?????