Lauderdale: Switcheroo City? >

Lauderdale: Switcheroo City?

Notices

Lauderdale: Switcheroo City?

Old 09-24-2003, 08:33 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lauderdale: Switcheroo City?

According to APBA rules, a divisional race may now be used to replace a low score on the Pro Tour. The reasoning behind it: Star power for the Divisionals.

It is possible that the Lauderdale Pro Grade Race can also be used to do the switcheroo.

Here's why: Ft. Lauderdale was originally a Divisional. Just recently, it has been upgraded to a Pro Grade Race. It sounds like it still is a Divisional also.

The Lauderdale race website http://www.racingreviewonline.com/ftlgranprix.htm expressly lists under "Points:"

APBA Offshore GMC Pro Grade National Series Points.
APBA Offshore Southeast Divisional Points Standings.

Meaning: If this is true and not one of the many typos, Randy Schleuss for instance could gain 106 or so points for first place in Lauderdale. And then he could swap the 48 points in Daytona for the 106 "divisional" points in Lauderdale. Net gain: 164 points, all in one race.

It sounds strange. But stranger things have happened. It definitely is worth looking into.

Last edited by Peconic; 09-25-2003 at 02:53 PM.
Old 09-25-2003, 02:52 PM
Registered

I've asked the powers that be. Haven't received an answer yet. Possible head-scratching?
Old 09-25-2003, 03:04 PM
Registered

BTW, the Fort Lauderdale Official Race Website says at http://www.racingreviewonline.com/riendl.htm :

"The Ft. Lauderdale race is an APBA divisional race, this is important to know because, in accordance to new APBA rules, divisional races may now be used to replace your lowest score on the pro tour (please refer to the 2003 APBA rule book). "

Last edited by Peconic; 09-25-2003 at 04:18 PM.
Old 09-25-2003, 07:02 PM
Registered

This just in from Michelle:

"OK - here's what I believe is accurate. This is now a Nat'l points race, so you get national points.
Because it's in the Southeast Division (like central, west and so on) you also get points for the Southeast Divisional Title, which includes all the Florida races, plus Savannah. Thats what it means. This cannot be a replacement race because it is now a Nat'l. "

No explanation yet why
http://www.racingreviewonline.com/riendl.htm says the Lauderdale race CAN be used as a replacement.

Investigating ...
Old 09-25-2003, 07:19 PM
Registered

Ever the gatehouse lawyer ... as long as the race is a "divisional event," the following should apply:

"C. Pro Series Dropped Race Make-Up Points / Divisional Race Participation –
In order to encourage more participation at Divisional events, APBA Offshore will offer Pro Series boats an opportunity to improve their total points accumulated for the year toward a Pro Series Championship by attending a Divisional event. A Pro Series boat may elect to drop their lowest score from any one (1) Pro Series race and make up those dropped points in accordance with the following procedure. Specifically, Pro Series points will be awarded to a team participating in a Divisional event according to its finishing position at that event. The points actually awarded shall be 100% of the total points assigned to that finishing position in accordance with the chart above, including points earned under paragraph B of this Rule. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a team may only apply the make-up points secured pursuant to this paragraph from a maximum of one divisional event. To be eligible to receive points under this sub-paragraph, a minimum of two legal boats in the class must start in the race in which the team is competing for points. Subject to this one race limitation, any make-up points received by a boat under this paragraph shall be added to the final total of Pro Series points earned by that boat only if that boat has elected to drop their lowest score for any one Pro Series race. (See also Section VIII, Rule 2, paragraph 3)"

"3. One Race Drop Rule – Notwithstanding any provision herein to the contrary, to arrive at the final points total for purposes of determining the national high points champion, each team shall be entitled to drop their lowest score race from its points total and replace those points with points from a Divisional event as outlined in Section VI, Rule 4, paragraph C. However, to be eligible to drop the lowest point race, the team must have registered for every event and all entry fees must have been paid. The purpose of this rule is to assist teams that may have fallen behind and thus virtually eliminated from the high points race due to a mechanical failure or some other unforeseen circumstance, and thus promote maximum attendance of teams at all events. Notwithstanding the foregoing, a team shall also be entitled to make up one race that it did not attend because of hardship provided that it sought and received written permission from APBA Offshore in accordance with Section VI, Rule 4, paragraph D. "
Old 09-26-2003, 12:27 PM
FtLaudGranPrix

Guys -
That Reindl press release has been up for many months, and much longer than the newer National Points status. It is being corrected.

Let me explain this again. For those of you who are newer to APBA Offshore Racing, each APBA sanctioned race series DIVISION gives a points scale for each race that you enter in their territory.

If you attend a National Race in a region, you are also issued points in that region on the Divisional Series Standings, i.e Central Division (GLSCS), West Division (POPRA) and Southeast, which encompasses all races within the Southeast Regioin as defined by the APBA rulebook. Southeast is Florida, Savannah. Corpus I think is in there when we race it. It does not, or should I say has not, included the Worlds.

You cannot double up points, or add one to the other, they are separate points for each Title Series.

I will see if Dee has a running total on the S.E. Division and get it posted, but in the meantime, I have taken that off the Reindl release.

Now, I need to finish up the rest of the details of the race.
This is crunch time, OK?

Old 09-26-2003, 12:28 PM
Registered

Comment from Michelle re: ""The Ft. Lauderdale race is an APBA divisional race, this is important to know because, in accordance to new APBA rules, divisional races may now be used to replace your lowest score on the pro tour (please refer to the 2003 APBA rule book). "

"Man are you keeping me busy ... that is an old release from before it became a national series event.
I am having that section taken out of their release.
thanks for letting me know."
Old 09-26-2003, 12:49 PM
Registered

So....Divisional points will be awarded for Divisional purposes but it's not a Divisional event....because it's now a National event....and National points will be awarded for Pro Series purposes....if it's not also a Divisional event how can Divisional points be awarded for Divisional standings?

This does not logically follow. What does, is what Peconic is getting at....and the "switheroo" should apply.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:20 PM
Registered

"RULE 2 – ELIGIBILITY FOR PRO SERIES AND DIVISIONAL POINTS

A. Pro Series Points – Except with respect to the Bonus Points awarded pursuant to Rule 4C, below, Only Pro Series designated and sanctioned races shall be eligible for the accumulation of Pro Series points towards a Pro Series championship.

B. Eligible Classes - Only Super Series Classes and Factory Series Classes shall be eligible to receive Pro-Series points when competing at a Pro-Series event.

C. Divisional Points - Except with respect to the Bonus Points awarded pursuant to Rule 4C, below, only Divisional points shall be awarded at Divisional races. Divisional points shall be awarded to all classes at Pro Series points. "

That is fairly clear. (Maybe except for the very last sentence. Should probably read "... awarded to all classes at Pro Series races. ")

Rulkes are rules.

The fact remains that as of this typing, the official Ft. Lauderdale Race site at http://www.racingreviewonline.com/riendl.htm still says that "the Ft. Lauderdale race is an APBA divisional race, this is important to know because, in accordance to new APBA rules, divisional races may now be used to replace your lowest score on the pro tour."

Whether that's an outdated press release or not: It is part of the official FTL race site, it is not an external link, it's one click away from the top level of the site.

Last edited by Peconic; 09-26-2003 at 01:25 PM.
Old 09-26-2003, 01:52 PM
FtLaudGranPrix

Bertie,
This is getting ludicrous. My webmaster is not available every second of the day.

If you have issues on this scoring issue, please take them directly to Dee Kimes via APBA, and clear up your questions with her directly, then come back and post them.

Maybe you can get Dee to post it herself.

This post, like that release, is old already, and you are further adding to the confusion.

Isn't it happy hour yet where you are?

Quick Reply: Lauderdale: Switcheroo City?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.