Notices

2004 Race Season

Old 10-15-2003, 05:31 PM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally posted by xtremeracingf1
So from what you have seen you think Merc,and APBA are leaning toward the 525's for next year.
Not exactly. As Bertel pointed out, Mercury RACING is leaning toward the 525 because that is the smallest power they offer with any future. The way they explained it, the HP500 is almost gone due to some ignition part that is supposedly no longer in production. Since Mercury Racing said they have nothing based on the 496 cubic inch motor, that leaves the 525, which cost more than some of the boats that are out there racing. The other problem is GM doesn't make the 502 block anymore, so where do these blocks come from?
On the other hand, I've heard some of the Factory racers talking about the 496, whether from Mother Mercury, GM Vortec, or Stewart-Stevenson. I've also heard whispers that the 496 seems to have the attention of APBA officials.
This is Purely speculation on my part, but between the blatant dis-interest shown by Mercury Racing, and the the obvious excitement and passion shown by the team owners and racing members of the APBA Factory Class teams, I can't see how anything other than the 496 platform wouldn't be an obvious choice.
As for the travel involved with APBA,
I hear ya there!
I guess the downside of being part of the big show is it certainly takes more commitment, time and investment. But when you look at what is at stake, and the rewards to be gained, it makes everything worth it.

Last edited by Gordo; 10-15-2003 at 06:23 PM.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:15 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

At the Factory Class meeting in Lauderdale, Mercury RACING was asked what their solution is to the changed F1/F2 requirements. Their reiterated that Mercury's solution of choice is the HP525.

They were asked to make another recommendation, given the changed parameters (1+1+1, races too fast etc.) They did not react overly enthusiastic to this request.
Old 10-15-2003, 06:17 PM
Registered

Originally posted by ScottB
The Kilo run Frank did was with a 500 EFI
Hush! If word gets around, F1 will be racing lawnmower engines next year.
Old 10-15-2003, 07:56 PM
Registered

Remember, galz & guyz:

The F1/F2 Meeting in St. Petersburg will now start 1 hour BEFORE the mandatory drivers meeting. Not after the drivers meeting as originally scheduled. Mark your Palm Pilots:

F1/F2 meeting: 1 engine, 1 drive, 1 weight
Friday, October 17th, 4pm, Vinoy Race HQ
Old 10-16-2003, 07:25 AM
Registered

And you are right, he shouldnt have a problem finding a driver, but drivers are a dime a dozen, good partners are hard to find.
a dime a dozen? Ouch
Old 10-16-2003, 09:29 AM
Offshore Addiction

Drivers are not a dime a dozen- not one that you can get committed for a whole race season... Trust us, we are lucky this year with having Scott.

Old 10-16-2003, 09:44 AM
xtremeracingf1

Al,

You are correct there,its not easy.You lucked out with Scott,not only is he a good guy,but he is a hell of a driver...

Frank
Koolhand

Old 10-20-2003, 07:34 PM
xtremeracingf1

Seat still open guys..I've spoke to a few people but still havent made a final decission yet.If you are interested let talk,and see if it can work for both of us.

Frank
Koolhand

Old 10-20-2003, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Guys I think you misconstrued me and I apologize. ie look at the F2 Pantera. Eric is an awesome driver and Jo is an awesome Throttleman, both national and world champions, but it didnt mesh due to different styles. Thats what I meant. Anyone can hopp into the drivers seat, but chemistry is the key.

It was great meeting you Al and Scott and I hope to see you guys again in the near future.
Old 10-21-2003, 06:21 AM
Offshore Addiction

It was great meeting you too, hopefully we will see you more and let me know about the motor....

Quick Reply: 2004 Race Season

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.