Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
Great Race site, more than once? >

Great Race site, more than once?

Notices

Great Race site, more than once?

Old 11-19-2003, 06:35 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Great Race site, more than once?

Just a thought:

We race all over the country, and some sites are better than others. What do we as racer think about racing at the "good" sites more than once a year? Like OB...

Just wondering...
Old 11-19-2003, 07:29 AM
Registered

According to Miller, more than once helps establish a fan base.
Old 11-19-2003, 07:43 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Default My Thoughts Exactly

I had the same idea after we raced in OB. In fact I posted that it reminded me of the old St. Louis site for tunnel boats. Everybody went because it was THE place.

Great fan base and a natural marine stadium. If the promoters could pull it off, it would be great. A two race series in OB and two in KW would suit me . Special series trophies, points battle would get the fans into it as well.

SQ
Orders for 08' DVC hulls now being taken.
Old 11-19-2003, 11:52 AM
Registered

Dont know...I have a feeling the promoters are a bit numb after this last event. It probably didnt bring in the numbers $$$ that they expected.

OB is predominately a summer Vacation Spot. And the fan count just wasnt up to expectation. I think they may have lost some $$$ too.

This is Not based on facts or rumors. Just speculation on my part, as an observer.
Old 11-19-2003, 12:04 PM
Registered

Bruce,

My thoughts:

They (the promoters) spent a lot of money, thats for sure. However, the hotels sold rooms they otherwise would not have. The restaurants served meals they otherwise would not have. Live Bait has to still be counting the cash. West Marine had a good flow of racers. FloraBama reaped a good wad of cash. The show was good and the good people of Orange Beach enjoyed our company as we did theirs. This is a venue worth investing money in as it will be a bigger winner the more times we race there.

J
Old 11-19-2003, 12:46 PM
Registered

J....

Certainly a great venue..no doubt. And the promoters did one helluva job getting the event off, with all the recent weeks of events. Yes, im sure the local commerce benefitted largely from the event. But how did the promoters do? did they weather the storm of all the mahem from the prior weeks. Or did they take a bath. I dont expect an answer from them directly nor am I entitled to one. I am just curious as to how it all worked out in the whole picture.
Old 11-24-2003, 05:57 PM
Registered

Thank-you for your kind words.I just returned from Key West and had a good time there.We are different than some venues as we are a non -profit association and are doinging this for the love of our state and communities and the sport itself .I had a blast racing in front of my hometown and we had fun putting on the event.Our community faired well also.Unfortunately do to things that were beyond our control our charities took a hit.With that said,I still believe we're good for two races next year and I know that Billy Moore and the Nichols Offshore/Pier 57 team plan to run 8-10 races in 2004.We loved having you and look forward to next season.By the way,I hope Live Bait is still counting money so I don't have to give stock to Sterling. THANK-YOU ALL. GARY
Old 11-24-2003, 06:40 PM
Registered

Gary,

You were an absolute wonderful host and the people of your community were the most pleasant I've experienced... Hope to be back soon. Will definitely be one of the "can't miss" on my schedule! Hope you are still counting the money! Great job...
Old 11-29-2003, 09:56 AM
Registered

Gary, It was nothing but a pleasure to meet you in KW and to hear what you had to say with regards to the future of offshore. I didnt race your venue this year, only because of schedule conflicts. I have heard great things about your site and I certainly look forward to racing there next season.

Regards and Happy Holidays
Old 11-29-2003, 11:10 PM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

I had the pleasure of meeting Gary in Key West also. Offshore racing needs more people like Gary. An honest person with his heart in the right place.

Quick Reply: Great Race site, more than once?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.