SBI Possible Rule Change

Old 03-19-2004, 06:02 PM
LOBSTERBOY

That would be a good start !!

Old 03-19-2004, 07:13 PM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

SBI put out the welcome mat to OPA to race in Ket West this year BUT they both have Different Rules .

So how is it going to work ??????????

Mike
Old 03-19-2004, 07:40 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Thank for all the positive in-put guys. Reading your comments from the boats that are really involved in the class we are talking about,it looks like most of you are in favor of the 30 and under rule.

Thanks again for all your in-put.
We possible might take your suggestion and put up a poll also. (Good Idea)
Its great to get so much in-put from racers,hopefully this will help change Offshore Racing for the better.

Frank
"Koolhand"

Last edited by F1-00 Racing; 03-20-2004 at 05:59 AM.
Old 03-20-2004, 01:01 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Frank, I believe your communication skills need to be a lot better. You posted a thread that looked very much like an imminent rule change 3 weeks before the first race of the year. You never mentioned that it was just a fact finding mission. When you do something like that, you are inviting negative comments from racers that believe they are going to show up and told they can't race in the class they have chosen.
As for the unofficial pole, I read every post and it looks like a 50 -50 split on a rule change with some people feeling one way in one post and then another way in their next post. As for asking racers to vote on rules it will never work. It didn't in the old days with APBA and it won't work now. Every racer has a little bit of self interest at heart and will try to gain a slight advantage. The racing organization should make the rules far in advance of the season so all racers have time to conform.
I'm sorry that you feel that negative comments were posted but you brought it upon yourself with the ambigous way you posted the thread. Maybe you should have said that you were on a fact finding mission for next year and I'll bet you would have gotten some great feedback, probably a lot of it would have been positive.
Anyway let's all go out and race and make it a fun season since that is what our type of racing is all about.
Old 03-20-2004, 03:57 AM
Registered

frank-i think you should consider the comments from the racers involved in p class racing and disregard all the non racer comments and advice they give they ask more questions then the racers involved good luck to all involved
Old 03-20-2004, 06:47 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankie you know I ain't here to impress anyone. I stated my thoughts but I also said when we come down put me where you want. That's pretty simple! If you choose put me in P1, I'm gonna have a ball either way. It's not about the throphy but the friends and wild times we have. I ain't giving that up just to be in P4 so please relax, whatever is good for the sport. To the fans and teams Frankie feels that I spoke out of line and are reading this, forgive me, that was not my intention. Regards to all, Augie
Old 03-20-2004, 09:18 AM
VIP Member

Default Frank

If anyone has shown positive energy, it is Augie. I wont continue this except face to face! Smitty
Old 03-23-2004, 08:23 AM
Charter Member#350
Charter Member

Do I have a solution ? No.

My only comment is that after racing our Batboat last year in Sarasota, Ft.Lauderdale and St.Pete we realized we could not beat the Sonic or the Cigarette and decided to not go to the Worlds and waste our time.

In 2002 we did three races Texas, Bahamas and Key West and won all three and it was very close racing.
Attached Thumbnails SBI Possible Rule Change-keywest-2002-christiesp4-13-.jpg  

Last edited by Dr.Santiago; 03-23-2004 at 09:06 AM.
Old 03-23-2004, 10:52 AM
Registered

Thus the beauty of the sport.

The fact that a team that "dominated" in 2002 did not win in 2003 shows that P class racing is evolving.

But I am curious, what were your expectations? To come out run three races and win them over teams that raced every event? Now that may have worked in '02, but it was pretty clear that the racing in '03 was much more competitive.

Personally I do think our 24's can beat these bigger boats. We just need to continue to work to make them more competitive once again. Although if you ask the guys out west, the last thing they want is to make us more competitive.

Also, we "as performance class racers" need to commit and race, win or lose. The worst thing we can do is stop racing as soon as we "think" we cannot win. That kills boat count and really is not good for our sport.

Is it really racing if you only show up when you know you can win? Heck, I would rather be the "underdog" and come win.

Repeats after me.... "we can beat the big boats, we can beat the big boats".... repeat over and over again.

In the end we have three choices... 1) put our tails between our legs and quit (sorry not me) 2) buy a bigger boat and race "down" (also not for me) or 3) figure out a way to exploit their weakness and beat them.

#3 is my choice. Every boat has a weakness, figure out what it is, exploit it and win. You will not convince me that these big boats can out-turn ours. I will not buy it and do not believe it. So my suggestion is to spend more time practicing your turns, make the tighter and faster and beat them.

Tim and I spend hours every week working on this one part of our race. Anyone can make the boat go straight at 79.9, how many of us can turn the boat tight at 79.9?? That is where the races will be won and lost.

And let's not kid ourselves, all of our boats will run over 80 if properly set-up, so we are also guilty of "propping" down to P4 (although I would suspect most would agree that the P4 class was designed for boats like ours).

This post was not written to offend, just don't want to see anyone give up for the wrong reason.

Rick
Old 03-23-2004, 01:51 PM
Charter Member#350
Charter Member

ryoung99:

"The fact that a team that "dominated" in 2002 "

We did not "dominated" the class, we won all three races. It was not easy at all, we had to fight until the end and won by seconds.

"But I am curious, what were your expectations?"

In 2002 I was selling the Batboat and when the boat did not sell I needed 2 races to qualify for the Worlds.
My "expectetaions at that time was , of course, to WIN.

"Personally I do think our 24's can beat these bigger boats. We just need to continue to work to make them more competitive once again."

No way, we were runing 78-79 top and the only way is runing faster than 80mph and sand bagging. And no way I will do that, my boat was allways legal and I was proud to win without cheating.

"Also, we "as performance class racers" need to commit and race, win or lose. The worst thing we can do is stop racing as soon as we "think" we cannot win."

In 2001 we won some and lost some , BUT we allways new we had a chance to win. I do not mind losing as long as I know I stand a chance to win, that is the motivation to continue racing. We had NO chance to beat the Sonic or the Cigarette without cheating, period.
So why should I race, to do laps around and say I raced??

Quick Reply: SBI Possible Rule Change

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.