A few Marathon suggestions.... >

A few Marathon suggestions....

Notices

A few Marathon suggestions....

Old 05-20-2004, 09:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default A few Marathon suggestions....

I first want to say that I had a great time in Marathon with the APBA. Seeing Steve David, Dee Kimes, Pops, Clay, Bob and the crew makes me feel among family. The event was very well run and the schedule was kept very tight. I did see some areas that needed improvement though and thought that I would toss out a few ideas (these are not APBA specific)

1. It was represented that the old 7 mile bridge would be open to the public yet it was closed to all but press and race control. I heard alot of spectators grumbling about the lack of access. I was even more disturbed to see that crew members and teams were not allowed out there either yet inmates on work release from the Monroe county jail really enjoyed the show from the bridge. That needs to be open next year. ( I did get out on the bridge but was forced to use my powers of deception!!)

2. The VIP viewing area was closed to all but those who were willing to pay the $175 to get in only to be charged for bottled water on top of that!! They even tried to make my wife pay $175 for our 3 year old!! She would have none of that!! The concept of viewing from a VIP area is good but as drivers/throttlemen we were not even allowed into that area unless we paid. I figured that the $7000 I spent to be there would be sufficient, but I guess not. My assumption was that it would really be a better VIP area if the VIP's got to be near and mingle with crews (driver/throttle at least). I didnt want the food just wanted to be able to see the course. Instead we stood around with the other crews peering through the fence like orphans trying to see our boats go by!! Maybe you should discount the VIP tickets for crews.

Anyone else make observations??
Old 05-21-2004, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Re: A few Marathon suggestions....

D-hlaw, I think the Army Corps of Engineers banned fans from the bridge and as far as the VIP section...I sure wouldn't pay for it.
I do have one other suggestion for ya.
STAY IN THE BOAT NEXT YEAR
Old 05-21-2004, 07:33 AM
Registered

But the water looked soo inviting........
Old 05-21-2004, 08:23 AM
Registered

Brett,

I overheard the announcers say they hope to have the bridge open to spectators next year???? Well, I think I remember hearing that last year too, so I wont hold my breath. Yeah, the $175 was BULL, We sat on the Seawall, right next to the VIP area, and brought our own cooler, and made the walk to the seven mile grille between races for Lunch, it was Just Fine. I Am Surprised they wanted to charge your family, Now that is BULL$HIT, without you guys out there, there would be no reason for a VIP area!!!!!
Old 05-21-2004, 08:38 AM
Charter Member #1093
Charter Member

Brett and other Friends,

Your comments are well taken. Jim Poplin and his staff are already working with the Marathon promoter to cure the problems from the 04 event. I'd give us a B+ for this year and we're striving for an A+ for the 05 event. In our books, our APBA racers are absolutely VIP's and we'll make certain you're treated as such for VIP areas, etc.
Both Corps of engineers and the DOT restricted access to the old 7 mile bridge, and we hope that is corrected by 05. Aside from that, every governmental unit from DNR, DOT, Corps of Engineers, Coast Guard, City of Marathon, County of Monroe etc. were exceptionally cooperative and forward looking to bigger and better events in the future. Our momentum is tangible, our core of loyal APBA racers continue to motivate and inspire Pop, Clay, David, Amy, Lenny, Don, Terry, Marty, Michelle, Mark, Paul, Bobby, Greg, Jeff and Josh, The Sorrentino's, Dee and the entire APBA Offshore staff to do their best to make certain you all have a great race and come back home to your families when the day is done. Hey, I'm havin' a ball too, you guys and gals are a hoot!

Steve David
Old 05-21-2004, 09:00 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

I had a great time as well. My only regret was that I was hoping to hook up with more OSO members to put a face behind the name. I went to all the events and Friday and Saturday nights and everybody looked alike.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:04 AM
Registered

I too was wondering about those convicts in the orange jumpsuits going right through onto the old bridge for a good view of the race (I suppose they were there for "trash pick up")
Old 05-21-2004, 09:15 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Do you guys where your OSO shirts to these events? I found Bill S and GDFTHA only becuase they wore OSO shirts.

The problem with the bridge is the rusted railings that may or may not hold the weight of hundreds of people leaning against them. They have funding in place to make substantial repairs to the bridge and if it can happen by next year's race, the bridge will be open to the public....so I was told by a town official.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:20 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Ron, I wore my shirt on Friday. Went to the wet pits, dry pits, hot pits, and not to mention the tiki bar @ the Sombrero. Noticed the Lucas team was there and some sort of Grady White thing going on.
Old 05-21-2004, 09:58 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Klaatu, were you @ the Sombrero?

Quick Reply: A few Marathon suggestions....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.