Notices

Benicia Report

Old 07-31-2004, 05:59 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Benicia Report

Not alot of boats, but there still should be plenty of close racing.

Here is the line-up

Supercat - Renegade

SCL - #39 Eliminator

F1
F1-11 Team Lavey Craft
F1-48 Flashwave
F1-22 Velocity
F1-007 Covey Racing

P3
P3(B)-9 Robb Storlee
P3-88 Bobby Griffith

P4/One Design
P4-99 Signs for Less Offshore

Now the bad news, the driver for P3-88 went into the water today ending his weekend. He is pretty beat up and the boat needs a little work.

During practice a tug went though the coarse putting out some huge rollers, they hit a roller, the boat tripped coming back down and he went out over the front. This boat is a 25' Warlock with a 575, and Bobby runs it on the edge. He and his navigator appear allright, they are getting checked out right now. This was to be his second event after winning P3 in Pittsburg last year.

What we lack in boats is being made up in spirit with plenty of good natured trash talking amoung the F1 and P4 boats. Tommorow we are going to have a single engine war between those five boats.

Rick
Old 08-02-2004, 09:57 AM
Registered

Default Re: Benicia Report

Here at the results for Sunday....

SC - 99 Renegade

SCL - 39 Eliminator

F1
1. F1-11 Team Lavey Craft
2. F1-48 Flashwave
3. F1-22 Team Velocity

One Design
1. 99 - Signs for Less

Now the bad news, it has often been said that the bat boats are impossible to flip. If that is the case, we did the impossible yesterday. On lap 4, while in turn 3, Tim and I, hooked the boat and flipped it. The good news is that all the safety equipment worked perfectly and we made it out without hardly a scratch (gotta love those canopies). When the flip happened we were leading all of the single engine boats which made us very very happy.

We would like to thank everyone who helped us out, the first boat on the scene was Team LaveyCraft, David was getting ready to jump out when he saw that both Tim and I had emerged. The Coast Guard and Pacific Dive and Rescue were awesome. They not only got to us, but saved out sinking boat. It is in the shop right now and needs to be totally rerigged, but it is in one piece (almost in one piece).

Other than that the race was uneventful, but spirited.

Tim and I will have to wait for another day to annoit ourselved F1 killers! We tried just a little to hard and it bit us! I have been told there are some pictures, I will post them when I get them.

best wishes,
Rick
Old 08-02-2004, 10:11 AM
Enjoy the show
VIP Member

Glad to hear you got out OK.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:19 AM
Registered

Rick and Tim were awesome out there. The One Design boat was kicking all the F1's butt. It's a fast boat. Of course the day before Rick was telling us how the bat boat won't flip over. He's always testing the "edge". This time he found it. Fortunately Tim and Rick were just fine. Safety training the day before had them prepared for such an event and the accident went without a hitch. We're looking forward to having them back on the course soon.

Jim

PS

Rick,

Now your boat HAS to go to P3.
Old 08-02-2004, 10:39 AM
Registered

One Design... we are legal based on the new rules.

Shana will not let me run P3, as then we will work to get another 8+ mph, and we saw what can happen at 80 yesterday.

With that being the case, we will be the first and only One Design boat on the west coast.

Thanks,
Rick
Old 08-02-2004, 11:13 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

Rick and Tim,

You gus are always out to do the impossible. Glad to hear all the safety items worked and everyone is ok. Are you sure you don't want that DPX?
Old 08-02-2004, 12:49 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jim was there and saw u guys go over,, he called me when u were upside down, Sure glad u had the lid...
sucks about the boat but hell that fine,,, if u walk away.. and can come back and play another day....
re bobby did he get cut up,, open face helmet??? couldnt be..
boy its a shame so few boats,,
wish i had the money to just ge a canopied boat,,
maybe for next season,,
what date is p- burg this year?
my wife would kill me if i did the same as last yr with the new boat.
u guys comin down for the big cat?
Old 08-02-2004, 01:16 PM
Registered

Jonas,

Actually Rick and Tim went over. Bobby just had his helmet smack on a hard hit in our boat causing a little nose scrape. No big deal. He's tough.

I can't make the Big Cat. Understand it's one hell of a poker run. Should be a blast for you guys. We'll be in Huntington Beach in 2 weeks and bacl to Pittsburg in September.

Jim
Old 08-02-2004, 01:39 PM
Registered

Chris,
I don't think the drive was the problem (although I could be wrong).

We were carving the turn (very hard) when the boat rolled up and over a good sized wake. Based on the angle of the boat during the turn, and the size of the wake the boat jumped and the angle of re-entry was a little to steep, and caught the wing.

It is strange how the wreck is coming back to me (slowly). When the wing caught, the boat corkscrewed into the water. When the boat went up the wake, the out-drive left the water, thus Tim could not steer the boat when the combined forces took us over.

We entered the turn at 80 mph and were right on the edge of the boat. I recall looking over right before we went over, thinking "Wow, this is how you carve a turn", then "WHAM" it was over.

Overall the F1's were faster in the straights, but we were turning so fast and able to carry so much speed we were able to get and hold a lead.

Hey, we wouldn't have been happy anyway until we did something we did not think we could do. Hopefully we learned something yesterday, but who knows, I am sure it will not be the last time we climb out of an upside down boat.

Jonas,
Thanks for the thoughts. We will count on you being in Pittsburg. We have decided to register the boat as One Design for the rest of the season, as we do not want to have to worry about "breaking out" since the boat runs right at the P4 upper limit, and we really do not want to add more speed to run P3.

This was we can race with the F1's and have some fun.

Jim,
Thank you for the kind words. Tim and I have worked very hard this offseason to run fast and I think we were doing a good job and learned a little more about the limits of the boat, but hey if you do not push them, you will never know them.

It was great having dinner with you and the Misses on Friday night. We will not be racing in Hunnington in two weeks, but plan to be in Pittsburg, Ventura and Key West. I want to take our time and ensure the boat is "right" prior to racing it and in two weeks we cannot re-rig the entire boat.

best wishes,
Rick