Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
APBA,,How can we bring it back??? >

APBA,,How can we bring it back???

Notices

APBA,,How can we bring it back???

Old 09-07-2004, 07:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: APBA,,How can we bring it back???

Hello again,

My post was based on a few general concepts:

1) Less classes equate to more boats per class
2) Larger boat counts promote a larger race fan following
3) Fans find it easier to identify who's winning
4) More fans attract sponsors looking for product recognition by those fans
5) More sponsors build better, more prepared race teams
6) Better prepared teams attend more races, attract more fans (see #2)
7) More fans return to see their favorite teams, even travel to do so
8) Race promoters recognize more fans, attract and secure choice venues
9) Sanctioning bodies secure series sponsors, offer bigger prize purses
10) Bigger prize purses attract more race teams, thus more fans (see #2)

Looser tech requirements worked in Offshore A and B for many years. It might take some getting used to, but I don't think the nightmare would be all that bad. I believe that the very strict (and changing) tech requirements are what led to the departure of F1 and F2 teams.

Cockpit boats, for the most part, have consolidated into 4 classes. Why not do the same with us open boats, and figure out a way that we can put on a show like the Factory classes did a few years ago?

Good topic for Talkoffshore... and then some.

See ya,
Brian
Old 09-07-2004, 09:42 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you'll love this

there is no stepping stone in this motorsport...any fool can spend a mil on a 160mph boat and overnight they are deemed a professional racer! hell you don't even have to read the rule book!!!

seems offshore racing has always had the same problem...how to get new racers and MORE importantly, how to keep them....maybe it's in the demographic of people??? or maybe we should just give in to the idea of this is what offshore racing is and always will be??? but i think if you can make skateboarding a serious sport then we have a chance...don't we???

put P class back at a local level...race P class all you want but no national or world championship...no more building purpose built p-class boat to mop up on everyone...no more; i can not be competitive in a premier class so i'll take a 90+mph boat and make it a 80mph max boat, FOR WHATEVER REASON you may have. decide what the premier classes are and stick with it....contrary to what people think, innovation can still build you a 500hp engine...as they can also make a 500efi into a 525hp for very little $$....the APBA should be making the rules....NOT manufactures....wana race or watch from the sidelines while other manufactures take your market-share!??

NO signing up for pro license...you have to race one of a few boats at a local level and acquire so many points prior to applying for a professional offshore racing license. just like ANY other serious professional motorsport.
Old 09-07-2004, 09:59 PM
Registered

i agree with MM on the classes with the exception on SLV...no real money in it for a manufacture...there is for F2 manufacture.there needs to be war between manufactures...MX/SX,,auto racing,,,superbike, supersport...how about between OL and fountain???

what lead to the departure of F classes?...somewhere people got the idea they could race a pleasure boat on the weekends they were not hauling the wife and kids around. is any racing really like that???..sure, AMA supersport, NASCAR, SX/MX!LOL...it's all what you can go into your dealer showroom and buy right???LOL....just pay the $$ and your a pro.

Last edited by audacity; 09-07-2004 at 10:02 PM.
Old 09-07-2004, 10:21 PM
Registered

randy is on to something....shorter races...saturday=practice...REAL practice/testing with the course in place...sunday=2 races, maybe on two different courses...
Old 09-07-2004, 10:24 PM
Registered

Received 190 Likes on 76 Posts

Joe tell us what you really think. Don't hold back now!!!!!
MD
Old 09-07-2004, 10:28 PM
Registered

I also like the idea of having to put in your time at the local level before you step up to the national level. It should be something to aspire to and not a money issue that you can buy into.
MD
Old 09-07-2004, 10:42 PM
Registered

If you limit the national classes to SVL and up, you'll have what, 40 - 45 boats maybe on the east coast. Do a REAL national series across the country and you'll have 30 or less. How do you pay the bills and have TV and all the other good stuff we all want with a limited boat count? You might find splitting off a national series is just another way to make the pie smaller and less interesting to all. Really doesn't do much for unity.

J
Old 09-07-2004, 11:08 PM
Registered

Tuesday night's show is now available at www.talkoffshore.com in the archives.

Show featured Jeff Ayler, Jerry Gilbreath, Randy "Mad Dog" Schluess, Dan Dillon and Martin Sanborn talking about how to improve the sport of offshore racing.

Enjoy!

AC
Old 09-08-2004, 08:28 AM
Registered

Jim, 40-50 boats in 3 classes makes one hell of a show!
MD
Old 09-08-2004, 08:49 AM
Registered

...and what 3 classes woud that be?

J

Quick Reply: APBA,,How can we bring it back???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.