Notices

Mercury Or Sterling / Super Cats

Old 11-27-2004, 06:11 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: Mercury Or Sterling / Super Cats

Pat,

Were those the motors they had when the were implemented the penalty because of the BPM Drives(shaft drives)???
Old 11-27-2004, 08:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

True they did not win alot, it was always something small like a bad altenator or the tunnel tab braking, but they almost always lead the race. They were the only comptition for the Drambuie team. Just ask Drambuie.
Old 11-28-2004, 09:53 AM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts
Re: Mercury Or Sterling / Super Cats

Thats a drastic move for the Reliable team to switch boat manufacturers and engine programs,I know that Tom Abrams had Sterling power in his poker run boat/Skater 46 but that is a huge undertaking to just scrap the Skater and all of those Mercury motors,but I guess you will do what you have to do to win,I also heard a rumor that Matt Alcone is going to be coming out of retirement,has anyone else heard or can anyone verify that.
Old 11-28-2004, 10:23 AM
OSO Content Provider
Commercial Member

Received 49 Likes on 23 Posts

It's too bad those Sterlings weren't built as well in a particular Poker Run boat from Jersey... I guess every manufacturer has their good ones and some bad ones....

Digital Photography & Video one BYTE at a time !
Old 11-28-2004, 10:50 AM
Platinum Member

1Hyper1,

Have to agree with you there and it will be very interesting considering as long as I have been following Jerry's career he has always been in a Skater. MTI looked really strong in Key West this year. I think the Reliable boat is probably the fastest Skater out there right now. I would really like to see how it would have ran with Sterling power in it.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:31 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If Mike (Sterling) has no competition then the racing will suck. Obviously there are engine builders waiting for a chance to step up and take a shot.

Maybe Merc will wake up step up to the plate and start doing something about being beaten besides buying out the sport.

pat W
Old 11-28-2004, 11:44 AM
Platinum Member

Pat,

Have to agree with you one engine builders. I think the deciding factor comes down to dollars spent. Sterling showed that it has a competitive edge over the Mercury's. Tommy Bahama showed it had an edge with its old motor program but it lacked reliability. I think the way the state of the sport is, until it starts to gain more dollars for teams through sponsorship you will see teams going directly with a proven winner. I do hope Mercury puts some R&D into there racing engines to get then back to the top. I remember in the mid 90's when Mercury drafted the Recovery Racing Team to battle the Sterling powered boats. Back then it was Mercury vs Sterling but the odds were a little better. Guess time will tell. I wonder parts and equipment wise what it actually costs to build a competitive Supercat motor, by this I do not mean retail, I mean what it cost the engine builder before sale and profit.
Old 11-28-2004, 11:47 AM
www.weismann.net
Gold Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

DPT,

Those were the motors. TB finished second in the campionship and was given a 200 lb penalty for being a (trimax) shaft drive boat. They did not hand out a penalty for first place (Drambui)

The first race they switched they were running dead last and expired before the finish. Everyone has a bad day.

pat W
Old 11-29-2004, 09:59 AM
Charter Member #94
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by shifter
Maybe Merc will wake up step up to the plate and start doing something about being beaten besides buying out the sport.

pat W
He said it, I didn't...
Old 11-29-2004, 12:07 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

The origional Drambui boat did not have surface drives on it and that is why they probablly did not get penalized.

Quick Reply: Mercury Or Sterling / Super Cats

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.