Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Race Talk > General Racing Discussion
To Combined A-class, F-1, and single engine P-4? >

To Combined A-class, F-1, and single engine P-4?

Notices

To Combined A-class, F-1, and single engine P-4?

Old 12-29-2004, 10:17 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Re: To Combined A-class, F-1, and single engine P-4?

Originally Posted by 1waterboy1
Brian,
I also agree with you about Open Vee and Open Vee Light....it just does not seem like there is enough of a push to make it happen.As Bruce said, I dont think that the sanctioning
bodies have the desire to develop, implement and enforce a complex set of technical rules to address the multitude of hull and engine configurations that are currently racing in the P-Classes.I guess the bracket format is here to stay.
That's an easy problem to solve. Make A and B classes "bracket" classes. OVL runs a GPS, and has a top speed of "X" (80?). Similar with OV, top speed of "Y" (85? 90?). Tech inspections are a simple matter of safety items, and GPS installation. Just like current P-class inspections.

Some folks don't like being governed by a GPS, and that's where an elaborate tech process is necessary. An eloborate tech process also allows for "creative interpretation" of rules, protests, appeals, and good-ole-boy syndrome to set in. These issues are like parasites that suck the blood from our sport. GPS may not be perfect, but it's fair (all race teams face the same inaccuracies), and most of all, it's a CHEAP way to level classes. This might allow the sanctioning bodies to chase after bigger, better race sites and sponsors, and not have to deal with the bickering between race teams.

Back to Basics... just throwing ideas out there.

Brian
Old 12-29-2004, 10:31 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BRUCE SEROFF
Brian,

I like what you are saying. However that that would leave many smaller, slower P-5s on the trailer.

What I was actually saying in my post, was to bump up the bigger faster P-5 Single Vs (and twins under 28 feet), to P-4 max 80 mph. And then move all your existing P-4s up to P-3 with a 80 mph max, P-3s up to P-2 with 90 mph max, P-2s up to P-1 with 100 mph max and P-X over 100mph.
I hear ya, Bruce, but change will inevitably place someone "on the trailer".

Your example above puts P4 and P3 both at 80mph max. So if I change my numbers (and OSO handle, and uniforms, and email address, business cards, yada yada) to P3-33 (chit, that one's taken), you and I will still be running neck and neck.

Brian

Last edited by p4-33; 12-29-2004 at 10:38 AM.
Old 12-29-2004, 10:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree, we cant make everyone happy. And some boats may be left on the trailers. However, others may come on board to replace them.

I would like nothing more than to beef up my power to run 80 plus. I Have no problem with that. As long as I was running against boats of similar size and power.

I dont know if we were ever running neck and neck in the past. But rest assured, we would be, if the rules were changed I look forward to it.
Old 12-29-2004, 11:11 AM
Registered

I agree, we cant make everyone happy. And some boats may be left on the trailers. However, others may come on board to replace them.
Yup, that's the idea.

I would like nothing more than to beef up my power to run 80 plus. I Have no problem with that. As long as I was running against boats of similar size and power.
If we're running with a top speed, power doesn't mean as much as size. If a boat is capable of doing the max for it's class, then the smaller ones have advantage on flat stuff, and larger ones have it in the rough. I do agree there is a disparity between singles and twins. Twins bite harder after a launch, and accellerate faster out of the turns. This is why I'm suggesting a separation between the two.

My point is, there are so many different sizes of boats out there that teams want to race, and to group them by length only divides the classes further. It's a team's choice whether they want their advantage to be in the rough or on flat water. Top speed is just that, top speed. Exceed it and you're done for the day.

I dont know if we were ever running neck and neck in the past. But rest assured, we would be, if the rules were changed I look forward to it.
I don't think I've had the pleasure of running with you on the race course. Maybe we'll get that chance sometime soon.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 12-29-2004, 11:35 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by p4-33

I don't think I've had the pleasure of running with you on the race course. Maybe we'll get that chance sometime soon.

Cheers,
Brian
I look forward to it

Happy New Year
Old 12-29-2004, 03:21 PM
Registered

Guys

Benperfected(sprague) has been suggesting somthing very similar as far as old a and b classes, use prop pitch gear and max rpm with limiter. What I want to add to it is a competition director for each class. That person is responsible for making the racing close. Add some rpm to some take away a little from others, to make the racing competitive. You will have to find someone with integrity and all the racers in the class trust.

Mike Sadlon
Old 12-29-2004, 09:27 PM
RLW
~~~~
Charter Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Build boats for classes not classes for boats.
In other words, cut the class count in half.
OPA= 6 classes
OSS= 4 classes
SBI and APBA= too many classes
Old 12-29-2004, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by d-hlaw
Just go back to A and B class with similar motor restrictions.......
Amen
Old 12-29-2004, 09:52 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by d-hlaw
Just go back to A and B class with similar motor restrictions.......
A and B classes have died a similar death to what is happening with F1 and F2. Too many restrictions, and a difficult tech process. Even with set rules, much "creative interpretation" still happens.

That's the beauty of P-classes, the rules (and tech inspection) are simple. Go too fast and you get DQ'd. How much more parity do you need? Consolidating P-classes into single and twin classes would make for a LARGE competitive field.

Cheers,
Brian
Old 12-29-2004, 10:15 PM
LOOK AT THE LEAD NOW!!!!!
Platinum Member

I think you could bring back A & B class with the existing boats that are out there. A could be single engine V's and B could be twin engine V's all open cockpit. With all the canopied classes having Mercury or GM motor packages for its Super V classes and Cat Lite classes.

Here is an idea.
SuperCat = Canopied twin Merc 525 or Vortec powered **
SuperCat Outboard = Canopied twin Mercury Outboard, existing Stock class boats
Super V = Canopied twin Merc 525 or Vortec powered V bottoms **
Pro V = Canopied single Merc525 or Vortec powered V bottoms **
V Twin = Open cockpit twin engine V bottom
V Single = Open cockpit single engine V bottom

**= mandatory dry exhaust for these classes!!!!!!!

The V Twin & Single classes can easily compromise 75-80% of the P-class boats that are out there. These classes are motors built or bought from other vendors then the spec class suppliers. The spec class suppliers could still participate in these classes as well as long as there engine meets the spec of these classes. I think this could bring back A & B classes and combine them with F1 & F2 without having two more additional classes.

With the money that most P class racers have spent over the years they could have been racing a Super Series boat. If for some reason a class has no participation or light participation for two years the sanctioning body has the right to drop this class as long as the participants all have been well informed of this upcoming action.

Some may say why I think Supercat today should be dropped is very simple. The guys that spend the $$s in that class can afford to run the 525/vortec and by doing this it makes it more competitive and not a who has the most $$$s to spend scenario.

Just an an idea with a little opinion added and would like to see some constructive criticism on this topic.

Quick Reply: To Combined A-class, F-1, and single engine P-4?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.