GLSCS 2005 Press Release

Notices

GLSCS 2005 Press Release

Old 01-11-2005, 12:04 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Re: GLSCS 2005 Press Release

Originally Posted by RLW
37' and 11,000 lbs does not belong in P-5 or P-4.
I will go back to my original statement. Build boats for classes not classes for boats.
If your boat doesn't fit into a particular class, build a boat to fit a particular class.
No offense.
That sums it up pretty well.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What's curious is that the 2004 GLSCS rules do not have a restriction on length. And I don't think there were any bigger boats running GLSCS last year. So what invoked this new rule? Was it my inquisition a few months back. When I contacted GLSCS and informed them that I was plannig on racing P5 with my 37' baja?
Hmmm...
Old 01-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

We had a similar issue, last year in OPA, with regard to a gentleman, who was putting together a 38 foot boat. The boat was not ready yet, but he was concerned that the power he was currently running, would not be competitive in P-4 and wanted to race P-5.

Our reponse to him was simple. If you are just looking to break into racing to see if you like it, Enter your boat in P-4. You most likely, will not win, unless everyone else breaks and you dont (very possible). However, you will get the feel for racing. At that point, you can decide if it is worth your time and money to put bigger power in your current boat, or look to buy a turn key race boat. The rules are not going to please everyone. But they cannot be constantly changed to accomadate boats.

There is no way, in my opinion, a 37 foot boat should be allowed in P-5 regardless of its top speed.

Some people may not have a problem with it, but I feel it should be left up to a vote of current P-5- race teams.

Good luck
Old 01-11-2005, 12:24 PM
Registered

P5 is supposed to be run what you brung. Not run what you brung as long as its the right size. I have no problem with a guy trying to get a taste of racing and bringing out his 37 ft pleasure boat for a go. If you build a boat to specifically race P5, youve got issues I race my 24 ft full cabin Pantera, drive and throttle myself, and take the family out to the Island when I am not racing. If I could afford to upgrade or build a boat to race only, it wouldn't be for P Class. I have no problem with any size boat racing in P5 as long as there not sandbagging.
I like the prop calcs that SBI uses combined with the GPS system of APBA and thats it.
Sincerely
"the Giant Killer"
Old 01-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

The rules are not made by the board of the GLSCS. THey are made by the racers. If the racers would like to race their 24' boat against an aircraft carrier that is fine. But I guarantee their will be one racer who disagrees with it. The rules are voted on by the races and will be for 2005. If we made a class for each boat that could not be competitive in a class or was between the limits of two classes we would then have double or triple the classes we currently have. The object is to make it fair and competitive for the majority to come and race. Our goal is to make our rule similar to other groups such as OPA, SBI or APBA and we are striving for that. The racers need to step up and voice their opinion now. Because if you wait until it is to late then it is your own fault.

Andrew Bloom
GLSCS Chairman
Old 01-11-2005, 12:36 PM
Registered

Scott,

I disagree

P-5 Size limits were put into place to keep it fair for the smaller boats. If you want to run the hell out of your 24 in big water, thats awesome. But how long will you continue to do it, if you knew you had no chance of winning against a 37 footer in big water?

I understand that its all about having fun. But some people take racing more seriously and care if they win. I assume your next reponse will be to step up to either P-4 or a super series class. My answer to you would be the same as your answer to others. I cant afford to step up right now. If I could, I would.

If 24 and 26 footers have a tough time against 28s. How do you think they would do aganst a 37?

I guarantee that Most, if not all P-5 teams would vote NO on a 37 running in P-5.

Before you know it all the P-4 boats will be stepping down to P-5. The line needs to be drawn somewhere and I believe it should remain as is.
Old 01-11-2005, 12:55 PM
Registered

With the APBA schedule, I think big water won't be much of an issue
Seeing where OPA races it is much more of an issue.
Trust me,I race to win every time out and I have much more of an issue with top speed, than size. I would vote yes to letting him race P5 assuming prop calcs were done coupled with GPS. When your talking about true top end speed being 70, I don't feel size matters unless it gets over 3 ft. Just my opinion.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:05 PM
Registered

Bruce,
I hear what you are saying. And I hope to god my boat runs 78 - 82 MPH in perfect water conditions. Then I could run P4, and everyone would be happy (everyone in P5). But it won't!!! It weights 11,000 # and it's 16 years old. I understand the competition thing, but what if everyone in P4 had a 34 foot boat, and I joined on with a 45 foot boat. Then the P4 guys would whine too.

One thing I do believe. I believe that GLSCS needs me a hell of a lot more than I need them.
If they keep turning away potential racers, there won't be any GLSCS to worry about.
GLSCS (or any racing association) should be welcoming new racers with open arms. Not posting red stickers on thier foreheads as they walk through the door.

Bottom line. When you vote, consider what you might be loosing, not what you will be gaining. Because I don't think the racing community can afford anymore losses. I guarantee you, if I join on with the GLSCS, there won't be any regrets. I won't be sandbagging, and I won't let anyone hate me for what I do. I will do my best to have fun, and make friends... I just want a chance to race.
Old 01-11-2005, 01:12 PM
Registered

With all said, I appreciate your input. And I , personally will take it into consideration when speaking with the rest of the fleet. I dont think anyone wants to send a race boat home, including myself. I also understand that boat count is low. But hopefully, that will improve as the season comes near.

stay tuned
Old 01-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Registered

If that last statement sounded harsh, I didn't mean it to. The point I wanted to get across is that I want to race, in an apropriate class, make friends, have fun, and experience the high point of my life. I don't want to steal the P5 class. That's not my intention.

And yes, I will qualify the boat running as fast as I can get it to go, but there's no way I am going to run a P4 class when the P5 boats are faster than me. It just doesn't make sense. Then I might as well just make a donation to the association and leave the boat at home. It sure won't do me any good to run around 10 MPH slower than everyone else. And it sure won't be very interresting for the fans.

But what woud be interresting for the fans, is to watch a 24' Panterra squash all over a 37' Baja. I would hate to be the victim, but either way the fans would love it!!!

Quick Reply: GLSCS 2005 Press Release

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.