The Surveryor-Tom Benton(whatever)
57.14%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 14. You may not vote on this poll

You Pick the Jerk

Old 03-23-2008, 10:31 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default You Pick the Jerk

Mr. Telephone pole busted my drive on welcome back weekend and here are the sequence of events that led to this posting.

Sat Mar 1st: busted drive.
Monday: contacted insurance agent and file initial claim, started taking estimates to repair boat, agent calls to tell me a claims adjuster will contact me soon.

Tuesday: claims adjuster calls and we discuss my claim, adjuster tells me 'no problem writing a check for a complete new drive, transom, blah blah blah'. Adjuster says he willl call a marine surveyor. Review policy and the policy states verbatim "100% coverage with no depreciation, $500.00 deductible"

Wednesday:receive estimate from mechanic in the amount of $19,915. Marine Surveyor(Tom Benton) comes by take pictures and talks about the damage.

Thursday-Sunday: several conversation with Stretch the mechanic. Stretch indicates that Tom Benton wants to put re-built parts in the boat. I indicate phuck no, 100% no depreciation to me means NEW stuff. Not used, nor re-man, not rebuilt but brand phuckin new.

Monday Mar 10th: receive checks from Ins company $15,151. I call the Adjuster get voice mail.

Tuesday Mar 11: get ins Adjuster voice mail again

Wed Mar 12th: Ins Adjuster calls me back. I ask Adjuster whay the Ins checks are short by 5 large and adjuster tels me this is the price that the Surveyor() and Mechanic agreed upon. I inform the adjuster that no one ever talked to me about this and it's my boat not the surveyors etc. Adjuster tells me that he will make up the difference and pay more if it cost more.

Thursday-now: Spend time thinking about this situation, formulate my own opinions, and decide to have the boat brought back to my place and I am seriously considering doing the work myself.

Read this post and pick the jerk. the Adjuster, the Mechanic, Tom Benton.

Last edited by satisfactionII; 03-23-2008 at 10:35 AM.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:01 AM
Registered

I would need more info to vote. Either the boat can be fixed for $15,151 or not. I would take it to the shop and tell them to call me when its done and let me know ahead of time if new oem parts are not to be used. The quotes from the shop and the insurance company are just "estimates". The final cost will not be known till the parts are in and repairs are almost completed. Alot of times there is parts price increases, shipping charges, hidden damage or just things that do come or don't come with the assembly.
Old 03-23-2008, 11:25 AM
Registered

Received 16 Likes on 6 Posts

Are you concidering tring to do the work yourself to meet the 15 grand check or to save money?

You might concider - writing your insurance company a letter telling them that you are proceeding with the repairs, with this mechanic, and mechinic is being told to use all new parts per your understandingh of your policy. You are writing them this letter because adjuster said this and You got a check for that... You are understanding that the insurance company will pay any overages to repair boat to 100%.

(final paragragh) PLEASE INFORM YOU IN WRITING BY THIS TIME AND DATE IF YOU HAVE MISUNDERSTOOD YOUR POLICY ya, ya, ya.

Send certified to your agent and insurance company.

My 2 1/4 cents.

Good Luck Man!
Old 03-23-2008, 05:52 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Tom Benton is an ASS!!
Old 03-23-2008, 07:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Spine Tingler
Tom Benton is an ASS!!
I agree, but I was trying to be nice.

I'm not trying to save money or submit a dishonest claim(good karma is my rule). But its the principle of the fact.
1. It's my boat, I bought it, I insure it, I decide how it's going to be fixed.
2. The policy very clearly states that the boat is covered 100% on property damage with no depreciation. The Ins Co adjuster agrees with this.
3. This ain't my first rodeo nor my second, third or fourth. It is my first dealing with Benton and will be my last.

Therefore the surveyor is not going to dictate prices that reflect rebuilt or refurbished parts. The case is busted wide open in three places; at the top, in the middle and the lower end. The gimbal ring is shattered, the gimbal itself is busted, if I were to magnafluxed the transom plates there will be stress cracks. I have been around big iron before and after it's been stressed and hit real hard, there are always hidden internal cracks.

Stretch told me that Benton was trying to lowball this thing by saying it could be rebuilt with used cases and using the current internals. Stretch check the input shaft. Merc tolerances for this part is 4 thousandths. Mine after the telephone pole is out of round 70 thousandths. The upper gears were checked and show signs of stress according to the mechanic. Two of the prop blades are rolled over, the inside of the drive coupler spine groves are all over the engine compartment. This happened at about 55 mph and while not fast by any means did cause some serious drive damage. The drive bounced and broke hard enough to drive the cavitation plate into the underside of the swim platform gashing the platform 8".

Thanks for the responses, I was just venting and wanting to know other Grand Laker's thoughts about Mr. Benton. I have mine

Last edited by satisfactionII; 03-23-2008 at 08:21 PM.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:10 PM
Registered

He tried to do something similar to me a few years ago but my repairs we about 100K. We had an intersting meeting and then all of the sudden he changed his tune. Confront him directly and he'll buckle because he knows he's wrong.
Old 03-23-2008, 09:30 PM
Registered

Sounds like a great policy (no depreciation). Who is the company?
Old 03-23-2008, 09:35 PM
Registered

keep your assigned adjuster on your side - to the best extent that you can. it sounds like you and the adjuster are, at worst, in violent agreement. Request a different surveyor or ask the adjuster what the process is when the mechanic and the surveyor disagree on something. Does the surveyor warranty the work or the mechanic? If the surveyor is going to step up; then let him but my bet is he will fold like scotty said.
Old 03-23-2008, 10:58 PM
Registered

Hang in there pal.

1) Tom does not work for you. He is working for the INS co. If you were trying to buy a boat long distance sight unseen you would love Tom as he can find a rusty needle in a haystack. I know he can be a pain however I respect the honesty and knowledge he has.
2) If you call my secretary Kelly Tuesday – Friday 9-4pm she will give you another surveyor in Tulsa to call. Check with your adjuster as you may be paying his bill. I think his name is Harmon and the fee/travel will be $350-500. (my guess)
3) You are stuck with your adjuster (most likely) and if he said “if it runs more than the estimate he will pay” the only way this gets better is IN WRITING. (email works)
4) I can write a full retail estimate that should be of help. Please bring me the boat and the first estimate. I don’t know the mechanic you used however there are many other choices if needed. If you got the bid from Arrowhead or Marinemax your adjuster would have felt the full force of high labor rates.
5) I can’t do the work as I am fighting a big dollar INS claim now with the adjuster from hell! I lost the roof on 18,000 sq.ft. 12-6-2006 from the ice/snow/wind storm and not one dollar paid on this covered loss yet. I am working just one man in my service department and trying to survive/fight. I can’t offer repair at this level anytime soon. We are just providing simple preventive maintenance for now.
6) I am a Mercury dealer in good standing and you remember my prior offer on parts. Dealer cost plus shipping in a to-go-bag.
7) I will help all I can. Scott Ehrlich Island Marine 918-257-5300 www.islandmarine.biz we are at the entrance to Monkey Island across from Littlefield’s corner.
8) I feel your pain brother. We pay our insurance on time year after year and then when you need it the Dentist looks better.
Old 03-24-2008, 08:13 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Spine Tingler
Tom Benton is an ASS!!

I couldn't agree more. That guy needs to stay FAR away from go-fast boats and stick to cruisers or blow boats......

Quick Reply: You Pick the Jerk

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.