Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Honest reliable engine builders out there! >

Honest reliable engine builders out there!

Notices

Honest reliable engine builders out there!

Old 09-04-2006, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Honest reliable engine builders out there!

Just wondering if threre are any out there,after spending $4800.00, not including other misc expenses w/in the last year to have a simple 450 horse 454 mag rebuilt i only got 65 hours out of it , engine builder _LAM engines out of kenosha wisc. is not standing behind my motor, he is making every excuse up in the book. Am ready to piece meal mine out and buy a crate motor and throw that in over the winter.But i do have some good parts in it , so am torn if i should have it rebuilt , just leary as heck that i will get burned again, Just venting !
Old 09-04-2006, 07:55 PM
Registered

Default Re: Honest reliable engine builders out there!

I've used a company called R & R a few years ago in Addison for work on my camaro motor. His name is Skip and he is out at Blarneys every Thursday for the races.
Personally, I would probably change things up if I were you and could afford it. Sometimes problems just keep following the same motor for unexplained reasons.
Old 09-04-2006, 08:27 PM
Registered

Received 79 Likes on 23 Posts

AETCO in Waukegan. Do not experiment with car engine guys. There are big differences between boat and car engines.
Old 09-04-2006, 09:29 PM
Registered

I agree, but just so you know, when I say he is at Blarneys every Thursday, he's there because he is involved with one or more of the boats that race.
That's all I know about him.
Old 09-05-2006, 12:45 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Hey Pete, sorry to hear about your troubles again. What exactly happened??? I rebuilt the top end of my 454/425HP motor myself this summer. Had Bill at ateco do the heads for me. He did them, all new valves, springs, etc. got them back, I put it all back together, using the old timing chain(idiot). Ran it for an hour, timing chain jumped, bent every intake valve. I removed heads, brought them back to Bill, he installed new valves and had them ready for pickup in two days! Bill has been great! I been thru the top end of these motors a few times in the past. Call me, 312-907-9335 Joe
Old 09-06-2006, 10:17 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Pantera28-650HP
Check with Mark Smith about R&R. I think he had an issue.

Bill at Ateco is honest and builds a good engine. He's not the cheapest builder, but sometimes it isn't worht it to go cheap, especially with an engine!
No it was not R & R. The guy I used to use I think is out of business.

Stick with a boat engine guy and make sure he dynos everything. After meeting Bill at Ateco, he would be your best choice. Like all engine guys, allow for plenty of time. The engine should be in his hands by end of October for winter build. I would start at the dyno and then go for a tear down. You may have a minor issue. You have a basic stock motor which should give you at least 300 hours of operation.
Pics of my motors and maybe my next boat.

Mark
Attached Thumbnails Honest reliable engine builders out there!-imag1228.jpg   Honest reliable engine builders out there!-ocean-express-007-large-.jpg   Honest reliable engine builders out there!-ocean-express-006-large-.jpg  

Last edited by MarkSmith; 09-06-2006 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-06-2006, 10:31 PM
Registered

$4800 don't buy you much in the arena of High Performance.

Let me give some advice: If you are looking in the 400-500hp range, go stock and enjoy the boat. 500hp used. Do not follow my footsteps.
Old 09-07-2006, 05:56 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

Mark hit it on the head. I think having it dynoed after a rebuild is a must. It is important to have the correct a/f ratio, timing setup, etc etc which the motor will be totally set up right. A new motoe with a incorrect a/f ratio and or timing issue will seriously reduce the life of the motor!
Old 09-07-2006, 03:59 PM
Registered

nice pics mark missed you guys at to shootout this year
Old 09-08-2006, 02:21 AM
Registered

10 foot idess.???

Who knows.?

Baby is due Sept 19 c-section.

Quick Reply: Honest reliable engine builders out there!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.