Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Grand Haven, MI exhaust... >

Grand Haven, MI exhaust...

Notices

Grand Haven, MI exhaust...

Old 01-25-2008, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Valeko is finishing up port work on my new heads. The machine shop was supposed to have my block, crank, etc back today, but you know how that is. It's a 4.5 stroke, 4.44 bore, 557" with ported Aluminum heads, matched medium rise single plain Aluminum intake, Flowed Holley 1050 Dominator, and Lightning Headers. It's going to be a nice piece. The engine will be All red and chrome, I am rerigging the engine compartment, repainting it, new battery boxes, all braided hoses. Finishing the few sections of the interior that were not done last year, redoing the seat backs in bright pearl white, putting on a blower scoop and redoing the sun pad. I am also adding a few new speakers and an amp.Grand Haven, MI exhaust...-dsc01704.jpg
Old 01-25-2008, 03:59 PM
Registered

What Power? 750?

Do you remember Jeff that had the yellow/orange/white 24' challenger back when you had the baja? He had 675hp with a bravo and it ran 82-85. I will guess yours should be close to 90. Assuming that volvo drive don't break...

Give a call!

See Ya!
Old 02-04-2008, 07:59 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Todd Hartigh
Alot of people with silent choice install a secondary switch (hidden...hint hint) that cuts the power to the dash switch. This will disable the silent choice to comply with MI law since silent choise is illegal to have.
I love it. Great suggestion. Regardless of what the officer does or has to say, they CANNOT perform the test. No test, no ticket for excessive noise. Maybe for an illegal exhaust, but at least you are still boating. I love Fxxxxxg with them, especially when they are fxxxxxg with us.
Old 02-04-2008, 08:35 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Nightlife1970
As others have said, would love to have more of you visit St.Joe and South Haven areas. Not a single problem down here. Got inspected by the CG at venitian and the only thing said about my exhaust was "Man that boat sounds sweet, what you got in it".
Now that statement by the CG makes you get all excited about having some really nice BIG BLOCKS in your boat. I am assuming that they are MORE concerned with boating safety issues. That is what saves lives. Not protecting some condo owners ears from bleeding.
Old 02-04-2008, 11:25 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by ROTAX454
Now that statement by the CG makes you get all excited about having some really nice BIG BLOCKS in your boat. I am assuming that they are MORE concerned with boating safety issues. That is what saves lives. Not protecting some condo owners ears from bleeding.
Yes the reason for the stop was because my stern light is not 360 degree. Something messed up in the lights and am getting that fixed, as the light on the windshield is supposed to light up as well. They checked for all the safty items I am supposed to have, and I did. Then wrote me a slip that said I am good to go for the rest of the year.

Very nice bunch of guys, and did the job they were supposed to do. Like I said the only mention of my exhaust was they loved the way it sounded. I checked the boat myself after that for sound levels. 109db at idle was alot more than I thought it would be. So I decided that wide open 4" out the back was a bit much, so am installing a set of mufflers this winter.
Old 02-05-2008, 08:20 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

I grew up in St. Joe and I still launch my boat down there on various weekends. As long as you're a "cool customer" they will not hassel you unless you provoke them. Same thing goes for South Haven.
Old 02-05-2008, 02:54 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by KAAMA
I grew up in St. Joe and I still launch my boat down there on various weekends. As long as you're a "cool customer" they will not hassel you unless you provoke them. Same thing goes for South Haven.
Thanks for the tips on where to launch/boat. Looks like we will be launching out of South Haven, especially when going over the Chi-Town.
Old 02-18-2008, 05:07 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I just read this thread for the first time and feel for you guys in MI. I'm from NY (Buffalo). I've been through this before, can't even begin to tell you all of the different occasions. A few years back Niagara county came up with a 0 tolerance policy. I just happened to be the individual they were going to make an example of. 13 tickets later I found myself in court. It made the news and the police reports. The best part is the boat wasn't even running, it was parked. I had walk away to get an ice cream cone and came back to find 4 police officers walking all over my boat, not to mention the off duty officers called in, coast guard, and the county sheriff, 11 of them total, wonderful use of tax dollars. I asked if i could help them and told the one rent a cop to get off my custom aluminum hood scoops. They were like a pack of wolves ready to attack. They had been planning this for some time they even had a guy there with a video camera. After 20 min. of bs they asked my to start the engines. My buddy pulled the kill switches under the dash and we proceeded with the testing. the motors never ran, they were furious, I had my boat towed back to my slip were they followed me and handed my 11 tickets. they still wrote me for loud exhaust, no hearing it and no test. Long story short, a lawyer from nearby read the article in the news, did the research and told me how the beat it. We went to court, they wanted to plea barging, we wanted a trial, they never expected that, they dropped everything except one ticket. I don't remember witch one. It happened several more times after that, pure BS. Kept on fighting it and haven't had a problem in a few years now. I will say they just about ruined the sport for me, taking the fun out of it by worrying witch corner they would be hiding around next. I'm not sure how the law reads out there but in NY there are many variables. When testing for 90 DBA law there must be certain barametric presure, wind speed, humidity level, surrounding walls, other boats within certain distances, etc. also the metering gun must be calebrated daily witch you can almost always count on not being done, they must put this in a log every time it is done, same goes for a radar gun on the highway patrol. If you wish to do a little research on your own and you stand and fight the odds are in your favor. Good luck with the fight guys, I hope you get things resolved soon so you don't have to endure the same BS that I did.
Old 02-21-2008, 11:53 AM
never trade luck for skil
Gold Member

Originally Posted by MidnightRider
I hope someone from Grand Haven is reading every sentence of these posts. All the local business' can thank their residents for chasing off a bunch of revenue. I realize that the Western Michigan Economy is so strong that the extra boating revenue in the summer does not matter ( sarcasm, small business is dying on the vine currently). There is a whole bunch of us that will not be going out there, they can take that town and shove it right up their a$$. There are plenty of fun places to go. I have spent alot of money out there over the years, no more. After my lawyer and I walked out of the court room ( my noise ticket was dismissed) I said good riddens.
All the residents huh?? I moved out here last year when I took over the management at the Wharf and have gone to bat many times for the go fast industry since that is part a big part of our business and I own one myself. Try not to be so judgemental about ALL the residents in Grand Haven and if that's your attitude then you will just make it even worse being out here!!
Old 02-24-2008, 06:32 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

slow down there cfisher. I'm sure that post was not meant for you but 9 times out of 10 it is the few residents that live along the water that complain and cause all of this nonsense and in my case as well. The man that was doing all the complaining is a gd hermit and contributes to our town as little as possible, his yard and home are a disaster. If people like that would spend a little more time looking at themselves and worrying less about what others are doing then we would all be a lot better off.

Quick Reply: Grand Haven, MI exhaust...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.