Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Loud Exhaust Lake Erie Islands >

Loud Exhaust Lake Erie Islands

Notices

Loud Exhaust Lake Erie Islands

Old 05-28-2008, 10:53 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Del Isle is East Harbor. West Harbor is the next channel. Gem Beach, Crabby's etc..
Old 05-28-2008, 11:06 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Ohio law reads that any cut out or switchable muffler must be renderd inoperable. If you have them, they have to be fixed closed.
Old 05-28-2008, 02:28 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Ohio law reads that any cut out or switchable muffler must be renderd inoperable. If you have them, they have to be fixed closed.
Only if you get caught!
Old 05-28-2008, 02:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If your boat is relatively quiet, odds are they won't pull you over to see if your muffler system is switchable...
Old 05-28-2008, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default barney fife

about 10yrs. ago I was approached by a N.Y. state conservation officer on a jet ski while on lake ontario. he said my exhaust was too loud, and he had a complaint that I had "buzzed the shoreline". At this point he starts with the "i am going to proceed with a complete inspection of this vessel". My reply was that I don't know what he's talking about, esp. the accusation of "buzzing the shoreline". While he's asking me to produce my safety gear, a Coast Guard patrol boat pulls up. At this point I think, WTF did I do? The Coast Guard asks the conservation officer whats going on and he says HE has the situation in hand, that he recieved a call of a "loud boat buzzing the shoreline". The Coast Guard tells him that they observed me from the launch to the lake and at no time did I do anything illegal. At this point you can tell the conservation officer is pissed. He hands me my registration back and say's "if I had a decimeter I know I could cite you for loud exhaust". He then fires up the jet ski and leaves ! The Coasties said when they saw me pulled over by him they thought "I" might need help ! BARNEY FIFE and the single bullet in his shirt pocket is alive and well on a jet ski.......I have never had an issue with the Coast Guard, only the local water nazi's...
Old 05-28-2008, 05:00 PM
Registered

There are sportfishers ex:bertrams/hatteras' out there with exhaust that is louder than 90 db. Anything with a diesel in it is louder than 90 db. Just wonderin if anyone had any hookups around this area that could tell Crocket and Tubbs to lay off the GOFASTERS!!!!
Old 05-28-2008, 10:36 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by spazboz
Silent Choice is Illegal in Michigan
Actually, silent choice is not illegal if you have water injection and do not bypass the injection system. The catch is, you need to pass with only the water injection system on if you bypass the other muffler system.

R 281.1238 Mufflers; cut outs.
The exhaust of all internal combustion engines used on any waters of this state shall be muffled effectively by equipment so constructed and used as to muffle the noise of the exhaust of the engine in a reasonable manner. The use of cut outs, bypasses, or similar devices is prohibited, except for vessels competing in a boat race or regatta sanctioned by the department under sections 151 and 152 of the act. A modern device, underwater exhaust system or a system discharging cold water through the exhaust of an inboard engine, each of which is capable of muffling the noise of the exhaust of the engine in a reasonable manner, shall be considered as meeting the requirements of this rule.

As I said CC or Silent Choice are not illegal as long as the boat passes the test with it in the off position. This is covered quite well in the Grand Haven thread in this section.
Old 05-29-2008, 12:09 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Late last fall I idled 10 feet away from the Antrim County Sheriff without a single look. Stock 454's with no mufflers or silent choice. I have no idea how loud stock 454's are but northern Michigan was OK last year.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:02 PM
Registered

Default noise

Originally Posted by Horsepowercollector
There are sportfishers ex:bertrams/hatteras' out there with exhaust that is louder than 90 db. Anything with a diesel in it is louder than 90 db. Just wonderin if anyone had any hookups around this area that could tell Crocket and Tubbs to lay off the GOFASTERS!!!!
I have to confess, our 37' Hatteras with 671 detroits is louder than a lot of goat fast boats, But we have more chance of being stopped in the scarab, remember the exhaust is just the reason for being stopped, they can then look for the open can of beer.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:21 PM
Registered

Received 367 Likes on 211 Posts

Originally Posted by Horsepowercollector
Just got pulled over yesterday in my Cig w/ Zul power for loud exhaust on my way for lunch at Crabby Joe's and was made to take my boat back and put it in the rack and told never to boat in Ohio again with exhaust exceeding 90 DB and silent choice is illegal. Anyone else been harrassed? Any suggestions?
Sorry to hear. I cant beleive they said to tow that boat back to PA and dont come back.. The ODNR are the biggest kiddie cop a-holes around. Most of them know nothing about there boat or power. They couldnt even fix a fuel gauge problem! My pops has been saying that they even been pulling over cruisers. Good old Ohio trying to increase revenue.... I heard you might be heading back to the cheasepeke. I was hopping to see the new ride this past weekend.
Jr.

Quick Reply: Loud Exhaust Lake Erie Islands

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.