Notices

Torch Lake

Old 08-03-2008, 09:49 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by SABER28
if your boat is a twin and a butt dragger like mine be carful of the w.w. launch and the torch river. keep the drives WAY up and at least follow someone who looks like they know the way.
He's right the Whitewater Twp boat launch is a very nice launch, but looks a little shallow---although I have had guys tell me they have launched boats larger than mine there (my boat is 32'). I remember getting out of my truck and looking at the launch and was about to launch my boat there for the first time, but I decided not to at the last minute because I was by myself and it was a bit windy and I didn't want to take the chance of launching there that day with the waves bobbing my boat up and down in the shallow water and then coming back in to put my boat back on the trailer without someone to help me with that wind and short dock. I also spoke to the park emloyee and he told me he has had larger boats than mine launch there.

I decided to launch over at the launch in downtown Elk Rapids which is plenty deep enough---the problem is my trailer has 16.5" wheels and I am just barely able to get my boat off the trailer there without my tires going over the ramps edge at the end. I have launched there several times since. Josh aka "Perfectmix" has a 38' Powerquest and says he has launched there many times without any problems...probably because he has a smaller wheel base on his trailer. Josh knows those waters very well around there.

Also, coming from Elk Lake you do not want to go through the stump field by yourself in Lake Skegamog for the first time. Josh can tell you some stories about that as well. I would not let any of this deter you from going, just ask lots of questions from other boaters when you get there or try and have someone with a boat that knows the waters up there meet with you when you launch your boat----especially if you are launching from Elk Lake and heading for Torch Lake via the dreaded stump field in Lake Skegamog. It's ALL FUN though!

Last edited by KAAMA; 08-03-2008 at 09:53 PM.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

we launched a 42 fountain with drive guard over the 4th of july no problems other than the drive guard went into the mud at the end of the launch.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have 42 formula launched several times at state access right next to torch river bridge. Not bad at all just go early to get parking spot. And also you will have to back in off road, very doable and safe. Torch over to lake skembog can be a tuff ride at night. Mark
Old 08-04-2008, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Whitewater is a lot deeper than it looks. I've seen some 36+ footers launch there.

And the stumpfield is marked much better this year. Just cruise between the buoys and you're good.

Now the river does have some shallow spots around a couple of the islands that you have to watch for.
Old 08-04-2008, 06:46 PM
Registered

Received 21 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by SABER28
if your boat is a twin and a butt dragger like mine be carful of the w.w. launch and the torch river. keep the drives WAY up and at least follow someone who looks like they know the way.
Was that your Saber at the Whitewater dock last Sunday(July 27th) morning? Tribal design paint, I think blue and yellow. If so great looking boat!
Old 08-05-2008, 09:37 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 10 Posts

Has anybody gone from Torch, then up Clam Lake, through Grass River to Bellaire? I've done it in a pontoon boat, and passed a cruiser or two - but that was several years ago....
Old 08-06-2008, 05:29 AM
Registered

I have done it a few times. We took a 26ft cruiser thru. Its most shallow point is at the mouth of Bellaire. Its a very long sand bar only a few of feet deep. A twin engine boat might be a bit to deep!
Old 08-06-2008, 09:00 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by onesickpantera
Whitewater is a lot deeper than it looks. I've seen some 36+ footers launch there.

And the stumpfield is marked much better this year. Just cruise between the buoys and you're good.

Now the river does have some shallow spots around a couple of the islands that you have to watch for.
Scott is correct, in general the water is much deeper that it looks on these lakes due to the clarity. It is not uncommon for an occational 43 Black Thunder to launch at White Water, the docks are just a little short. The Stump Field as you call it is marked well with water depths in excess of 4ft. The only problem is when some Jack AZZ takes off in 4ft of water and stirs up a suprise log or stump. You just need to come off plane sever hundred feet before the markers. In the river it has a few shallow spots but they are pretty easy to see. To go into Bellaire can be done but not recommended in any boat other that a small I/O, or Pontoon.
Old 08-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perfectmix
Scott is correct, in general the water is much deeper that it looks on these lakes due to the clarity. It is not uncommon for an occational 43 Black Thunder to launch at White Water, the docks are just a little short. The Stump Field as you call it is marked well with water depths in excess of 4ft. The only problem is when some Jack AZZ takes off in 4ft of water and stirs up a suprise log or stump. You just need to come off plane sever hundred feet before the markers. In the river it has a few shallow spots but they are pretty easy to see. To go into Bellaire can be done but not recommended in any boat other that a small I/O, or Pontoon.
Ya Bubba, U stick down there on the small pond U Wuzzy!! U R already so PUZZ Whipped it is sickening! Get a life & get up here where the real boat'n is!!! Get a life!!!
Old 08-06-2008, 11:33 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

We'll be heading to Torch this Saturday with a group of Donzi Classics. Can't wait!

- Jeff

Quick Reply: Torch Lake

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.