Notices

Boat Show?

Old 12-06-2008, 02:36 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Boat Show?

Just curious if anyone is going to the Toronto Boat show in January, I usually go mid week when its not as busy, usually a good show, hope this year is too!

Michael
Old 12-06-2008, 06:56 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

not sure how good the Toronto show is but the Detroit show has been getting so bad the vendors dont want to go
Old 12-06-2008, 08:38 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 372 Likes on 250 Posts

it's gonna be tough this year to have a crowded boat show IMO. who would want to pay big dollars (manufacturer / dealer) knowing economy is down that bad, specially in the U.S.... who would want (customer) to jump and write a check for a new boat???? not as many as usual I'm sure!

But it at least feels good going there and see boats in winter!!!
Old 12-06-2008, 09:23 PM
Registered

Well, attendance may be down, but, I am sure there will be people shopping and maybe more than usual just "Browsing"?, there are people from many walks of life who aren't affected [directly] by the economy who are looking for a great deal because of the bad economy, a close friend of mine is going and looking to buy if the right deal is there, he works as a correctional officer at a provincial level, so, he is somewhat "recession proof" and there are others that are looking to buy as well, personally, the less people the better!!!, a few years back I went to the Toronto show midweek in a BLINDING snowstorm, it was AWESOME, you could have shot a cannon through the place and not hit anyone!, we ended up hanging out on a 60ft Sea Ray and chatting with a salesman, he was SO bored that he was just glad to have someone to talk to the boat about. I hope its a good show, but, I understand the economy will probably dictate attendance, for most people.

Michael
Old 12-12-2008, 01:33 PM
Registered

Received 99 Likes on 47 Posts

It'll be interesting to see which manufacturers are there. Porsche has pulled out of the 09 Toronto Auto Show.
Old 12-13-2008, 12:40 AM
Registered

I had heard that on the radio myself, apparantly a few other companies have pulled out as well, on the other hand, I went to the Bike Show tonite at the convention centre and was suprised to see displays and booths from all the major manufacutuers and alot of dealers as well, hopefully the same holds true for the Boat Show in a month!,

Michael
Old 12-13-2008, 07:06 PM
Registered

I will be going probably on Wednesday of the week of the show. I have Wednesday afternoon off so I'm there like flint!

I agree that attendandce may be down overall but the TO Show is still holding it's own (sort of) I was disapointed last year as no big offshore of sport boats were present. Chris Craft was there promoting their new lines, especially because of the Matt McConnoughy and Kate Hudsom Movie "Fools Gold" (lots of CC's in the movie) and flogging a single cabin cruiser that they no longer make and the poor salesman almost followed me around like a lost puppy? (I did not want it though)

Two Years ago Fountain, Cobalt, Formula and Baha had nice displays and cool boats and I almost bought the 42 Formula but I gave my head a shake before I signed on the dotted line!

Really nice boat though.............. and the best part they were practically giving it away at 125k. It was regular 185 I believe??? (or so I was told?) I thought a buck and a quarter was a good deal?
I think the days of the big dollar boats are gone from the shows as they pander to the family guy with two kids who want to go tubing in a littel open bow runabout. SAW LOTS OF THOSE!

I'll still go because its BOATING!

Last edited by Stinger390X; 12-14-2008 at 09:29 PM.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:52 AM
Registered

I think Mid Week is the best time to go as well, sounds like a REAL nice Formula!, might have been a good deal?, I hear they make a real nice boat!, last few years I have gone I seem to remember a [small] display with a couple of Donzi's, Double R was there one year, and Jim Earle usually has a couple of Baja's there, seem to remember him bringing the SAME boats to the show each year, guess no one was interested in paying 125K for a 3 year old 25 Outlaw?. Thats about all the high end sport boats I saw, I can understand the logic behind bringing the small runabouts to the show, they take up less space and they probably sell 20 of them for every one 200K offshore, besides, tubing behind a runabout can still be fun, as long as your not the poor SOB in the tube!!!, ha ha.

I also enjoy checking out the displays and seeing whats new in the way of accessories, ropes, docks, toys, stuff like that, you see some pretty cool stuff, and like they say: "costs nothing to look". I am anxious to see how the economy affects the show, kind of a "barometer" for the state of boating. I was at the bike show on the weekend and talked to a salesman who said they hadn't sold as many bikes as previous years, but, sales hadn't fallen off as bad as they had thought they might, however, he did say that NONE of the sales he made where financed, in other words, the only ones buying where the guys with enough money to write a cheque or pay cash for the whole price.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:33 PM
Registered

I like the displays too! I usually grab some ropes and stuff and an extendable dicking arm. I bent mine this past summer so its a new one again!!!

I like the indoor lake too! Two years ago they just parked boats in it, but last year they were using it for displays. I sat down to rest the old dogs and watched an interesting seminar on manouvering with singles and twins. I already knew it but it was neat to see the guy dock the boat in such a small lake! The best part were the wind surfers as they had six HUGE fans blowing air and it was enough to get them mobile across the arena area.

If your going Wednesday for sure then we will have to meet for lunch or something inside the complex. (bring pics of your boat!)
Old 12-20-2008, 11:34 PM
Registered

I will definately let you know when I am going Stinger, be good to see yourself and any other board members at the show!, thanks for invite, looking forward to the show

Quick Reply: Boat Show?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.