Notices

Gas at Border

Old 03-01-2011, 05:32 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Gas at Border

With gas prices already skyrocketing here in Canada [again, for no apparant reason?] I think I will be heading "across the pond" now and then to get gas this season. What are the rules for customs as far as gas docks go? It used to be you could get out of the boat, but, not leave the dock if gassing up, and you didn't need a passport, etc.

I imagine a lot has changed [9/11] and I am not sure what the necessary protocol is, I have a passport and a nexus card, but, sometimes I have people in the boat who dont have those documents [And I rarely carry my passport in the boat, usually just the nexus card]

Also, where in the 1000 Islands can you get gas nearby? I am on Wolfe Island, just across from Millens Bay, I know you can get gas in Alex Bay, and Clayton I beleive, is there any other marina's [small or big] that sell gas?

I would like to make up a list of gas stations along the border and save the GPS co ordinates so I know how far I am from "gas" at any given time. I did this on the "Canadian" side along with the phone numbers and hours of operation, its been really handy.

Thanks guys!
Michael
Old 03-01-2011, 06:17 PM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I boat on lake erie, and every once and I while we will go to Buffalo to get gas. Pre 9/11 we would usually just get gas, and leave, never really a problem. Now we make sure to call customs no matter how long we are going to be there. Most marinas in my area have the video phone and it is usually pretty quick and painless to call into customs.

Not that it is legal, but you could always just pump away, and hope that there are no cops around, and if they pull up on you try to give them the "I am on my way to report in now".
Old 03-02-2011, 10:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Last May I went to Clayton and Alex Bay; I made sure my buddies had their passports before we set out. We checked in at Clayton using the video phone; there was actually a spot to position our passports under the camera. If your crew doesn't have passports you should probably go right to Hart Island, bring all possible ID and check in face to face. What's the worst that could happen, they turn you back across the river, better than getting caught there illegally and risk being denied entry in the future. Easiest thing to do...call U.S. immigration and find out for sure.

Man do I miss A-bay and the Rum Runner, C.P. Romans and all the other fine establishments.

As for fuel...lots of places, premium is the issue. Start googling!

Last edited by Need4SpeedGTCS; 03-02-2011 at 11:03 AM.
Old 03-02-2011, 06:21 PM
Registered

Thanks! I will give that a shot, I tried "Googling", but, I really cant find what I want? which is a list of marina's that sell gas from say Cape Vincent to well East of Alex Bay/Clayton, but, no luck, I can find individual marina's, but, I figured there MUST be a website/map that shows where the Marina's are all along the St Lawrence?

I will keep digging, Thanks!
Michael
Old 03-02-2011, 08:46 PM
Registered

What you need is Lakeland Boating magazine's Ports O' Call directory. Gives info all around the lake (Ont edition) and into the St L. Lots of pictures and places of interest.
Old 03-03-2011, 12:40 AM
Registered

Sounds perfect! I have most of the ones on the Canadian side, but, would like to chart some of the US ones, where can I grab this magazine? Do they have a website?

Thanks for the info!
Michael
Old 03-03-2011, 08:52 AM
Registered

Yes LB mag has a website...I bought my copy some time ago at The Chandlery in T.O.
I'm originally from Trenton and boated Bay of Quinte, Lake Ontario, and the St Lawerance. Been down the river as far as Brockville; did the U.S. side Sackett's, Sodus, Rochester...
Buy the official charts! but the Ports O' Call will give you pictures and info...
Old 03-03-2011, 09:36 AM
Registered

Received 25 Likes on 14 Posts

I am pretty sure west marine stocks all the boating destination books. You can probably order it online and get it sent from the store too.
Old 03-03-2011, 11:22 AM
Registered

would highly recommend reporting @ customs right away or do not even bother stopping!! Things can get ugly quick even if you are just stopping for a fill if you do not report!
Old 03-03-2011, 02:57 PM
Registered

I actually dated a girl from Trenton for years, Frasier Park Marina was nice and Tommasso's restaurant made THE best pasta! Never got used to the smell of that paper mill though, lol

I am buying a chartplotter this Spring. Do the good charts for the plotters list Marinas?

Thanks
Michael

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.