Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Great Lakes and Canada (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/great-lakes-canada-219/)
-   -   Bay City to Caseville (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/great-lakes-canada/258944-bay-city-caseville.html)

98Fever27 07-26-2011 06:18 PM

Bay City to Caseville

Has anybody gone from Baycity to Caseville out in the bay? Heading there for cheeseburger fest in a few weeks. Wanna make sure I dont run into anything.

catman01 07-26-2011 10:15 PM

Nice run but when you get to sand point there is a huge sandbar that you have to navigate through and there is a very small slot you can go through that is marked by a bouy. The sandbar goes out about a mile from sand point. We were there a couple weeks ago and watched a boat hit it a pretty good speed as I am sure they had no idea it was that far out in the water. Other than that I have never encountered a problem. When you are in caseville if you decide to go out towards the charity islands be careful as you cannot go between big charity and little charity island. I would suggest that you get a chart so you can see the sandbar that I am talking about. It is a great place to hang out if you know it's there. Rob

hotjava66 07-27-2011 07:15 AM

Ran out there last year, will be going out again this year. As said above, it is a bit dicey, especially with the water being low. If you have a good charting GPS you can run the slot off Sand Point, but it is way less than a mile wide, so be carefull. The other options are to run a bit farther out, which still only puts you in 4-6 feet of water, or follow the channel straight out past the Charities on the north side and swing back in to Caseville. If you go around the Charities give them a WIDE berth, lots of rocks that go out a long way. If you are going out Friday afternoon/evening for the second weekend we will be heading out it you want to run with our group.

prostock3 07-27-2011 10:29 AM

just went there, dont go over to port austin we hit rocks by the light house oh yea good time...anyways caseville you want ot make sure you have gps to show you the depths its very shallow over there

98Fever27 07-27-2011 05:19 PM

Thanks guys for the info. We are heading out friday morning august 12 which is the first weekend. I think heading out just past the charities is going to be the best bet. Just want to play it safe for the first time.

bill63 07-27-2011 05:39 PM

I have boated out there for years great area as already said watch out for sand point if you dont have a good gps there are apps for smartphones that will show the area well. When coming into caseville make sure you stay in the channel were the breakwall is it get's very shallow. Boy i miss boating around there.

98Fever27 07-28-2011 07:07 PM

Nice Nor-Tech!!!

bill63 07-29-2011 07:24 AM

Originally Posted by 98Fever27 (Post 3464721)
Nice Nor-Tech!!!

Thanks.... just took delivery in june

[email protected] 09-15-2017 02:33 PM

Vaudeville 9/16/2017

This will be our first time going to caseville by boat we have a 25ft bayliner with 9'6 beam. Is anyone heading there from Saginaw river area that we could follow over to caseville so we can learn the route? We like to leave very early Saturday morning.
thanks,
brenda