Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Boating by Region > Great Lakes and Canada
Anybody Boat in Lake Erie's Central Basin?? >

Anybody Boat in Lake Erie's Central Basin??

Notices

Anybody Boat in Lake Erie's Central Basin??

Old 04-12-2012, 05:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Anybody Boat in Lake Erie's Central Basin??

I have been to Erie's Western basin more times than I care to think about, but I live south of Ashtabula (Columbiana). The girlfriend and I seldom come across performance boats around Geneva and Ashtabula. Is there any life up there?? Saw an old tour boat turned into a bar on the Ashtabula river, but not much else. Was afraid of tying up to it for fear it would sink and take my boat with it.
Old 04-14-2012, 02:19 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Go to "greatlakesoffshoreonly.com"

There is a section there that is devoted to that area and there are lots of guys with Scarabs, Fountains etc etc etc that boat in that area.

There is also information on stops such as restaurants etc and great mooring areas. Kelly's Island, Put-in-Bay etc.

The only downfall of that area is that is is shallow in a lot of places so take care and if the wind is blowing from the south west, your boat may end up beached! Lots of cool pictures posted there of boats lying on the sand.

Also don't forget about "Pottohawk" second weekend in July. It's one of the biggest events on Lake Erie as some years there are over ten thousand boats that attend!Quite a party...I have been in the past and will be there this summer too. That is one event I make the effort to get into Erie, as I am usually a Lake Ontario boater...
Old 04-14-2012, 03:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Stinger390X
Go to "greatlakesoffshoreonly.com"

There is a section there that is devoted to that area and there are lots of guys with Scarabs, Fountains etc etc etc that boat in that area.

There is also information on stops such as restaurants etc and great mooring areas. Kelly's Island, Put-in-Bay etc.

The only downfall of that area is that is is shallow in a lot of places so take care and if the wind is blowing from the south west, your boat may end up beached! Lots of cool pictures posted there of boats lying on the sand.

Also don't forget about "Pottohawk" second weekend in July. It's one of the biggest events on Lake Erie as some years there are over ten thousand boats that attend!Quite a party...I have been in the past and will be there this summer too. That is one event I make the effort to get into Erie, as I am usually a Lake Ontario boater...
Hey Stinger, the area that you are referring to is actually the Western Basin and yes, I've boated there plenty. You are dead on, you had better know the water or you could find yourself hitting rocks, sand bars and/or trashing that prized labbed prop (done it). I enjoy boating there, but it takes a lot of 93 octane gas for me to launch at Geneva and drive to Sandusky. By land, it is about a 3 hour tow up the turnpike to Catawba Island. That is why we are trying to develop some friendships with boaters between Geneva and Conneaut since that is directly north of us. So far lots of fishing boats and 25 MPH cruisers when we are there.

Saw the sand bar party a few times. Looked like fun. Also looked like a magnet for the ODNR.
Old 04-14-2012, 04:38 PM
Registered

Skramer used to be out of Mentor Lagoon, but haven't seen him post in awhile.
Old 04-15-2012, 12:14 AM
Registered

Received 365 Likes on 209 Posts

Most everyone has headed west towards the islands...........