Notices

Milwaukee

Old 06-10-2012, 07:56 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Milwaukee

I boat mostly on Lake Michigan from Chicago to Door County and across to the Michigan side. For some reason I have never stopped in Milwaukee. I stayed there for the first time this weekend. What a great experience. McKinley marina is great- very clean and well-maintained.
The city is very boater-friendly. There were many places to dock on the river and the overall state of repair of the river and bridges was phenomenal.
Chicago has so much to offer but is completely inaccessible to boats on the river. I wish they would take a lesson from Milwaukee.
Old 06-10-2012, 08:55 AM
Registered

The last 10 yrs with addition of the RiverWalk has greatly improved the Milwaukee cruising grounds.
Old 06-14-2012, 10:58 PM
Registered

For sure!
Milwaukee lakefront and especially the Milwaukee River has really improved, a great destination even from distances.

There are a good number of restaurants with docks on the river, with two major branches to explore into the city.
It is pretty clean now too, for a river in a good sized industrial city.
The bridges, with several different eras of design, are great to look at all by themselves.

Going to the Milwaukee Ale House or The Horny Goat to dock up, eat, drink and check out the scene (and get checked out ) is a great weekend activity!
Never disappoints...

We like to go Saturday, so in case not feeling "up" to driving back home toward/at night, we can sleep (off) on the boat at the aforementioned dock and drive home Sunday AM.

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
Old 06-14-2012, 11:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Horny Goat!
Old 06-15-2012, 05:18 AM
Registered

My son lives out in Milwaukee, always wanted trailer the Baja out and run to the Horny Goat and Barnacle Buds, how are they on noise running around on those channels?

Originally Posted by xwing
For sure!
Milwaukee lakefront and especially the Milwaukee River has really improved, a great destination even from distances.

There are a good number of restaurants with docks on the river, with two major branches to explore into the city.
It is pretty clean now too, for a river in a good sized industrial city.
The bridges, with several different eras of design, are great to look at all by themselves.

Going to the Milwaukee Ale House or The Horny Goat to dock up, eat, drink and check out the scene (and get checked out ) is a great weekend activity!
Never disappoints...

We like to go Saturday, so in case not feeling "up" to driving back home toward/at night, we can sleep (off) on the boat at the aforementioned dock and drive home Sunday AM.

"It is so choice. If you have the means, I highly recommend picking one up."
Old 06-15-2012, 05:48 AM
Registered

I never really gave it much thought to make a run to milwaukee with the boat. This thread has got me thinking otherwise now!
Old 06-15-2012, 07:01 AM
Registered

I've never had any police or coast guard even mention boat noise, nor heard of anyone having such troubles. The river from entrance under the big Hoan Bridge is slow/no wake, so pretty much just off idle 5mph so no screaming through...but doing a "007" or "Gator McCluskey"--speeding down the river like a maniac-- is hard to get out of my mind LOL!

Got to change the seawater pump on the 454 (cracked plastic housing, go figure) Saturday AM, hoping to get it out there Saturday afternoon!
Old 06-15-2012, 10:08 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by xwing
The river from entrance under the big Hoan Bridge is slow/no wake, so pretty much just off idle 5mph so no screaming through...but doing a "007" or "Gator McCluskey"--speeding down the river like a maniac-- is hard to get out of my mind LOL!
there are so many rivers and inlets I would love to do that to, I wonder how long you could get away with it?lol
Old 06-16-2012, 06:36 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by ajfisher
there are so many rivers and inlets I would love to do that to, I wonder how long you could get away with it?lol
You can go as long as you want until someone says no....
Old 06-24-2012, 11:28 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

Great town on Lake Michigan!

Ricardos RIVERFRONT Pizza has some of the best pizza in the country! Pull the boat up and enjoy.

Safehouse is a cool "hideout"

Points East pub has the best Grilled Wings

Glad to hear you enjoyed it, we always do also!