Notices

Lake MI Warren Dunes

Old 07-05-2012, 04:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake MI Warren Dunes

Hello, I am thinking of heading over to camp in Warren Dunes State park. Does anyone know if it is ok to beach a boat there or anywhere along the Southern MI coast? I have never been out that way.

Thanks
Old 07-05-2012, 07:01 PM
BL6
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 13 Posts

Mostly sand beaches and dunes, some rock. Most anchor in 2-4' water. Lake can change overnight. Ports of New Buffalo and St Joseph closest.
Old 07-05-2012, 08:16 PM
Registered

Beaching a boat on park protected waters will get you in trouble. DNR and park rangers patrol frequently and will warn/ticket you depending on the mood. It's mostly jetskiers that get the tickets but boats will get a pass if you're cool. Like others mentioned, pay attention to the wind and wave forecast. Weather can change fairly quick and if you are sleeping and anchored shallow, you may be in for a rude awakening... enjoy your trip!!!
Old 07-06-2012, 07:51 AM
Registered

Thanks guys. We will be camping on land and pulling the boat out for the night. I was just thinking if we cruise the coast a bit and see a nice beach, we may hang out for a bit. I think I will play it safe and anchor if the opportunity presents itself.

Any state park ramps in that area?

Thanks
Old 07-06-2012, 10:12 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by BADS335
Thanks guys. We will be camping on land and pulling the boat out for the night. I was just thinking if we cruise the coast a bit and see a nice beach, we may hang out for a bit. I think I will play it safe and anchor if the opportunity presents itself.

Any state park ramps in that area?

Thanks
Launch in New Buffalo, nice ramp, head north. Or Launch in St. Joseph, nice ramp, head south... your call.
Old 07-06-2012, 12:48 PM
Registered

Thanks
Old 07-08-2012, 01:14 AM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Whenever I launched my boat from St. Joseph, I would usually head south towards either Grand Mere or Warren Dunes. That's where you'd usually find me and has always been one of my favorite hang outs over many years. As long as you anchor outside of the swim buoys you will be fine---I think the law is 50' from the swim bouys, but I cannot quite remember....but just be a cool customer and come in at idle speeds as you near those bouys and I don't think you will have a problem----OR...

....OR, you can go down on either end of the designated swim area (again, as marked by the swim bouys) and bring your boat as bout as close as you want to shore and toss an anchor. I usually did that on the North end. In fact, there is plenty of BEACH that car going beachers cannot get to without a long walk just North of Warren Dunes---and you'll think you have your own private beach.

WARNING! Just be careful you do NOT bring any alcoholic beverages on the beach from your boat even if you're in knee deep water or the [B]DNR[/B] will take you to jail---they will watch you with binoculars and radios and then sneak up behind you---and they are very GOOD at catching people that way. I have watched them do it several times over the years. They will come right out of the tree line with 4-wheelers out of no-where even in those remote areas of the beach that you least expect it----and the State owns a LOT of remote land/beach North of Warren Dunes.

Here's a small piece of history for you----I used to be a Life Guard in 1976 for an old remote Chicago owned church camp site about 1-2 miles North of Warren Dunes, but the State has owned the property now for probably at least 20-25 years or so....and the only thing left standing now is the brick cylinder shaped pump house just inside/along the tree line. For the most part you can still easily see the Pump House from the lake, from a boater's view point as you drive along the shoreline. It'sabout a 1 mile dirt road to drive from Red Arrow Hwy all the way back in to the camp site that has long since been closed off. The main lodge and one other large dorm and all the other cabins have all been torn down for many years. I would always anchor my boat on the sand bar there---very remote spot but still patroled by DNR with 4-wheelers and there are trails all thru the woods. The sand bar would usually average about 4-6 feet---and nothing but endless ripples in the sandy bottom as you looked over the side...If you walk into the tree line from where the Pump House is located, you will see many of the ruins of the main lodge and large dorm. It's one of my favorite spots and brings back many thoughful memories.

Last edited by KAAMA; 07-08-2012 at 01:20 AM.