Notices

Lake Michigan Trip

Old 07-31-2012, 04:09 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Lake Michigan Trip

My wife and I are contemplating a week or so touring the "west coast" of lake Michigan from around Benton Harbor to Traverse City. I used to travel the area when it was my sales territory so I know a little of the area but would like input from the folks on the forum.

Coming from indianapolis where is a good place to start?
What are the best marinas?
What restaurants are within walking distance?

Basically any information would be appreciated.

Dave
Old 07-31-2012, 06:00 PM
Registered

Received 731 Likes on 328 Posts

I can help with the northern portion of your trip. Frankfort, Leland, Northport, Suttons Bay and Traverse City all have excellent private and/or state run Harbor of Refuge marinas. They also all have nice business districts and good restaurants within walking distance. Slightly north of there is Elk Rapids, Charlevoix and Petoskey with similar facilities.
ed
Old 07-31-2012, 07:19 PM
Registered

Received 277 Likes on 96 Posts

are you coming by boat or trailering to each destination seperate?

If you are looking for a home base Traverse City is perfect. Clinch marina is downtown and everything is in walking distance. Launching at Elmwood is easiest. Have a buddy that would run with you in his 2007 292!

From traverse city you could make day trips by boat to everywhere Interceptor mentioned. Pull up a map and check it out. Pretty cool how we are on lake Michigan but also protected by the grand traverse west and east bay.
Old 07-31-2012, 08:08 PM
Registered

What he said^^^^
Old 07-31-2012, 09:39 PM
Registered

If I were you I would travel north on the trailer and use one of the Northern ports as a home base. The lake can get really rough without much warning. If the lake kicks up you could be stranded at port for a few days, most of the Nothern ports in Michigan are connected or close to awesome inland lakes incase the big pond kicks up. A couple labor days I was stranded in Sturgeon bay Wisconsin for 2 days, waves on the big lake were running 16'.

My .02
Old 08-08-2012, 08:56 AM
Registered

I would say check out South Haven. Marinas are nice clean bathrooms and showers. Can walk to everything nice shops. All bars are close together Captin Louis, Idlers,Yorks,Black River Tavern and Joes Bar all good places all within walking distance
Old 08-08-2012, 09:37 AM
Registered
Platinum Member

My wife and I are contemplating a week or so touring the "west coast" of lake Michigan from around Benton Harbor to Traverse City.
I hope you don't get lost...all those places are on the east coast of Lake Michigan