Thinking about a boat trip this Summer >

Thinking about a boat trip this Summer

Notices

Thinking about a boat trip this Summer

Old 01-15-2013, 10:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Thinking about a boat trip this Summer

From Lake ST. Clair to Mackinac Island. Looks like about a 250 to 300 mile trip. Has anyone ever made this trip? and what would be the pro's and con's? I know fuel will be a B!*** but I think it would be a cool trip. Any cool places to stop over night along the way? Depending on weather go all the way. Let me know what you think.
Old 01-16-2013, 05:21 PM
Registered

So I'm guessing bad idea?
Old 01-16-2013, 06:24 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

i would say the biggest issue would be the water levels and fuel. that coast line is pretty cool all the way up.
Old 01-16-2013, 07:39 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

if i was going to do something like this i would definately spend the $50 for a year of boat us tow isurance even though your boat is brand new i have it and i am only 3 or 4 miles from land at any given time on Lake Erie definately worth the money and i do the trailer tow insurance as well for another $14 they will tow your truck and boat / trailer up to 100 miles money well spent if you trailer your boat like i do
Old 01-16-2013, 07:40 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Water levels are NOT a problem. The problem will be proper planning. Lake Huron is a huge lake and weather is the problem. That is a huge trip by recreational boat. You need to plan well for gas stops and overnight stops at transient/marinas wells. Plus if the weather gets bad or you have a mechanical problem you need to plan for extend stops at transient wells/marinas. (don't tell work Friday afternoon that you will be back by Monday morning) plan a few extra days. My In-laws used to do that trip about once a year in their 32 SeaRay Sundancer before they retired and gas was cheap. It is a journey on a rec boat. If you are serious I will give you my father In-laws number and I'm sure he will give you some great advice for that trip.

(I personally make that trip too many times a year on a 225 foot long ship)
Old 01-16-2013, 07:45 PM
Registered

I know some people that do it Ryan. Plan it well and it shouldn't be hard. It will be pricey for sure!
Old 01-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Registered

Guy's, That is why I'm asking, I'm trying to plan and would like to know as much as possible, Gas not a issue, I have boat U.S. tow ins, and trailer ins, ED. The info that Sunrocket gave is more the issue. Time is not the prob, but weather and water is my main concern. Jay I will do big planing. I'm planing on giving my self 2 weeks, I think that should be good. Other info would be great, Thanks guy's
Old 01-17-2013, 06:14 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by rfgonzo
Guy's, That is why I'm asking, I'm trying to plan and would like to know as much as possible, Gas not a issue, I have boat U.S. tow ins, and trailer ins, ED. The info that Sunrocket gave is more the issue. Time is not the prob, but weather and water is my main concern. Jay I will do big planing. I'm planing on giving my self 2 weeks, I think that should be good. Other info would be great, Thanks guy's
Get ahold of Chris Campbell. His parents do it in their BT every year. I have his cell # if you need it.
Old 01-17-2013, 07:30 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Would be a nice trip! Plan on some bad weather and multiple day stays waiting it out. Let me know if you are going to do it, I would run some of it with you on your way through here. We ran my dads cruiser from Marblehead OH to Bay City when I was in high school, was quite a trip. Planning is key, as discussed above. Set up stops for a good weather day, plus possible intermediate stops if you have issues or the weather turns bad. Remember, there are a lot of spots where you are 40 miles or more betweeen possible stops.
Old 01-17-2013, 09:00 AM
Registered

Wink

Not so sure I would go 40miles out without having twins,I remember the feeling of being out half that far in a storm with the single Maybe if you had a couple of boats doing the trip it may be safer . Also wondering where you would store enough booze on the Sunny for that length of trip

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.