Notices

canada water rules

Old 06-16-2013, 05:16 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by MarkDonzi
Hey Guys,

My wife and I got our nexus cards and want to run over to canada for lunch the back to the US. I see references to checking in via cell but I can't see any phone numbers. Can you help me with this?

Thanks, Mark
1-866-996-3987 going in to Canada. Recommend calling in before you leave...it's just easier
1-800-827-2851 upon return
Old 06-20-2013, 02:54 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

UHG,

BoatUS Reports
News From The World Of American Boating
Edited by Ryck Lydecker
Published: February/March 2013
Boating To Canada? Take A Cellphone

In August 2012, the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) seized two boats and a personal watercraft belonging to two New York men who'd gone to Ontario's Port Dalhousie. Earlier last year, a fisherman in the St. Lawrence River was boarded by the CBSA, which seized his boat as well. The offense in each case was the same — failure to properly check in with Border Services after entering Canadian waters — but their defenses were also similar: The boaters thought they'd done everything they needed to do. In all three cases, the boats in question were seized on the spot, and the men had to pay a $1,000 fine per vessel (including the PWC) to get them back. Senator Charles Schumer of New York has asked for reviews of all three cases, and the CBSA has said they'll look into them.

Crossing Into Canada

"It is no different than if you arrive at the land border or if you arrive by air," says Alex Attfield, CBSA's Director of Traveller Border Programs. "You're expected to make yourself known and allow CBSA to make a determination on your admissibility into the country."

Sailing Canadian waters
You need to call Border Services when you first enter Canadian waters.

For a boater, that means reporting directly to one of CBSA's 439 designated Marine Reporting sites http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/contact/listin...xtype39-e.html. Many of them, located at yacht clubs and marinas, consist of no more than a special telephone, a sort of border-services hotline that will connect you to an agent. Assuming that goes well, that's it. Welcome to Canada.

"Once you enter Canadian waters, there's an obligation to report," Attfield says. "But we appreciate that if someone isn't intending on landing, but just want to enjoy our Canadian waters, enjoy the scenery, we provide a means of making a call by cellphone to the same telephone reporting centers."

So, if you're, say, in the middle of Lake Ontario, tacking back and forth across the international boundary, you need to call Border Services when you first enter Canadian waters and let them know. That requires a cellphone, and more than that, it requires a cellphone that works wherever the border is. If you can't make contact by cell, you'll need to head directly to a reporting site (or, presumably, stay in U.S. waters).

There are a number of programs designed to make it easier on frequent travelers, including the joint U.S.-Canadian NEXUS card. For a $50 application fee, the card requires an interview, as well as approval from both countries, but it enables the bearer to check in by phone when crossing the border.

... And Back Again

For re-entry to the United States, the process is similar to reporting to Canada. If you have a NEXUS card, a phone call will cover it, and Customs and Border Protection's website lists the phone numbers you can call. If you aren't a member of NEXUS (or a similar program), you'll need to report in person to a regular port of entry or to an inspection station equipped with a video phone.

These are the rules as described on the CBSA website, clarified by a CBSA official over the phone to BoatUS, and again in an email from a CBSA spokeswoman. In each of the three boat-seizure cases mentioned above, the boaters say that they thought they were following the rules. So before you go, check the relevant websites and call them if you have any questions.

Chris Landers
Old 06-20-2013, 03:19 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I have NEVER had an issue boating on the Canadian side of Lake St. Clair, Detroit River, St. Clair River or Lake Erie. To go from Lake St. Clair to Detroit requires going through Canada or through a long no wake zone on the USA side. Everyone goes through Canada. I would like to hear more real world input on experiences in this area. I'm planning on running through Canadian waters on July 4th.
Old 06-20-2013, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I have NEVER had an issue boating on the Canadian side of Lake St. Clair, Detroit River, St. Clair River or Lake Erie. To go from Lake St. Clair to Detroit requires going through Canada or through a long no wake zone on the USA side. Everyone goes through Canada. I would like to hear more real world input on experiences in this area. I'm planning on running through Canadian waters on July 4th.
I agree we role thru canadian water all the time, they have the only navagable water threw much of the area,
Old 06-20-2013, 04:05 PM
Registered
Gold Member

I gotta find it but I was under the impression that if you are originating from a US port and navigating to a US destination via Canadian waters and you remain underway you did not have to call. Otherwise for areas like border rivers and lakes where the navigation channels runs back and forth you would have to call 3 or 4 times.
Old 06-20-2013, 04:31 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by 88242LS
UHG,

BoatUS Reports
News From The World Of American Boating
Edited by Ryck Lydecker
Published: February/March 2013
Boating To Canada? Take A Cellphone

In August 2012, the Canadian Border Services Agency (CBSA) seized two boats and a personal watercraft belonging to two New York men who'd gone to Ontario's Port Dalhousie. Earlier last year, a fisherman in the St. Lawrence River was boarded by the CBSA, which seized his boat as well. The offense in each case was the same — failure to properly check in with Border Services after entering Canadian waters — but their defenses were also similar: The boaters thought they'd done everything they needed to do. In all three cases, the boats in question were seized on the spot, and the men had to pay a $1,000 fine per vessel (including the PWC) to get them back. Senator Charles Schumer of New York has asked for reviews of all three cases, and the CBSA has said they'll look into them.

Crossing Into Canada

"It is no different than if you arrive at the land border or if you arrive by air," says Alex Attfield, CBSA's Director of Traveller Border Programs. "You're expected to make yourself known and allow CBSA to make a determination on your admissibility into the country."

Sailing Canadian waters
You need to call Border Services when you first enter Canadian waters.

For a boater, that means reporting directly to one of CBSA's 439 designated Marine Reporting sites http://www.cbsa.gc.ca/contact/listin...xtype39-e.html. Many of them, located at yacht clubs and marinas, consist of no more than a special telephone, a sort of border-services hotline that will connect you to an agent. Assuming that goes well, that's it. Welcome to Canada.

"Once you enter Canadian waters, there's an obligation to report," Attfield says. "But we appreciate that if someone isn't intending on landing, but just want to enjoy our Canadian waters, enjoy the scenery, we provide a means of making a call by cellphone to the same telephone reporting centers."

So, if you're, say, in the middle of Lake Ontario, tacking back and forth across the international boundary, you need to call Border Services when you first enter Canadian waters and let them know. That requires a cellphone, and more than that, it requires a cellphone that works wherever the border is. If you can't make contact by cell, you'll need to head directly to a reporting site (or, presumably, stay in U.S. waters).

There are a number of programs designed to make it easier on frequent travelers, including the joint U.S.-Canadian NEXUS card. For a $50 application fee, the card requires an interview, as well as approval from both countries, but it enables the bearer to check in by phone when crossing the border.

... And Back Again

For re-entry to the United States, the process is similar to reporting to Canada. If you have a NEXUS card, a phone call will cover it, and Customs and Border Protection's website lists the phone numbers you can call. If you aren't a member of NEXUS (or a similar program), you'll need to report in person to a regular port of entry or to an inspection station equipped with a video phone.

These are the rules as described on the CBSA website, clarified by a CBSA official over the phone to BoatUS, and again in an email from a CBSA spokeswoman. In each of the three boat-seizure cases mentioned above, the boaters say that they thought they were following the rules. So before you go, check the relevant websites and call them if you have any questions.

Chris Landers
Looks pretty obvious they want us to call in....so we should call and call and call

I was in Abay for the run and somebody there had been calling in every time they hit Canadian water they were told to stop cause they were getting overwhelmed with calls....did they forget who made the rules?????
Old 06-21-2013, 08:15 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts

I've never seen or heard of anyone being stopped on the Detroit River for driving on the U.S. Side or Canadian side of the river so far. Not to say it hasn't happened but I just haven't seen or heard of it. I have a Nexus Card and call in when I'm going to the U.S. side of Lake St. Clair and have never had a problem. For $50.00 for a Nexus Card which is good for 5 years and it can be used when crossing the Border by car and you don't have to have your Passort. I can't see what the problem is, times have changed and this is a part of boating now whether you like it or not.