Best Boating in the region >

Best Boating in the region

Notices

Best Boating in the region

Old 05-14-2013, 08:52 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best Boating in the region

I'm pretty new to the boating scence, just got my first boat last year and sold it this weekend to get a bigger one (Sold Stingray 220 LX). We usually boat a Brookville Lake in Indiana as it's close and clean but we also did a trip to PIB last year and are going to Lake Norris for Memorial Day Weeked. Aside from that, what are some of your favorite lakes/boating spots in the region that I should check out this season?

I've heard that the shore by Silver Lake Sand Dunes in Michigan is cool but don't really have too many other ideas besides Cumberland (been there when I was younger, it's okay) and Dale Hollow (also been there and really liked it).

Thanks for any ideas!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Heading down to Lake Cumberland this weekend for the Donzi/Cigarette meet, always have a lot of fun there. We love PIB, but my wife gets a little nervous when Lake Erie gets rough. We had a lot of fun running the Ohio River in the Louisville area, there is a gravel pit that filled in on the Indiana side that is kind of a cool hangout. I built a house on our lake property 2 years ago that we primarily hang out at (Jimmerson Lake, part of the Lake James chain in Angola, IN). Depending on what you replaced the Stingray with, you may want to come up. 35' and under is plenty big for this 5 lake chain. there are a couple of 38'ers runnin around, they navigate okay. some goof had a 44' MTI on the chain that looked totally out of place. beautiful boat, but just too big and lake is too crowded to really do anything with it.

I had a girlfriend (my Ball State Days) who used to go to Brookville all the time, but I've never been there. heard it's nice and clean.

tom

Last edited by FISHIN SUCKS; 05-15-2013 at 09:15 AM.
Old 05-15-2013, 09:20 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by FISHIN SUCKS
Heading down to Lake Cumberland this weekend for the Donzi/Cigarette meet, always have a lot of fun there. We love PIB, but my wife gets a little nervous when Lake Erie gets rough. We had a lot of fun running the Ohio River in the Louisville area, there is a gravel pit that filled in on the Indiana side that is kind of a cool hangout. I built a house on our lake property 2 years ago that we primarily hang out at (Jimmerson Lake, part of the Lake James chain in Angola, IN). Depending on what you replaced the Stingray with, you may want to come up. 35' and under is plenty big for this 5 lake chain. there are a couple of 38'ers runnin around, they navigate okay. some goof had a 44' MTI on the chain that looked totally out of place. beautiful boat, but just too big and lake is too crowded to really do anything with it.

I had a girlfriend (my Ball State Days) who used to go to Brookville all the time, but I've never been there. heard it's nice and clean.

tom
I will give a thumb's up to Cumberland...and a thumb's up to a fellow BALL STATER! Go Cards!
Old 05-15-2013, 09:25 AM
Registered

come up to Northern Michigan some awesome lakes to boat on: Torch lake, Elk Lake, Lake Michigan (Just keep an eye on the weather). Also Traverse City is a a great area to stay at with Grand Traverse Bay which will take you out into Lake Michigan and Traverse City is about 25-30 minutes from Torch Lake.

Tom, I will see you this weekend can't wait for the auction.

GO CHIPS!!!

Take Care,
Gregg

22 Yellow Devil
Old 05-15-2013, 09:44 AM
Registered

Thanks, we're likely going up to a 29 foot Baja (292 Islander) as we want a large open bow with a deep vee for a smooth ride so we should be good on most water. Brookville is nice and clean and is decently sized for the Greater Cincinnati Area (about 5k acres) but I would like to go somewhere with some more coves and places to explore.

How is the water level in Cumberland? I've heard it's still down quite a bit. I'm also considering taking a trip to Kentucky Lake/Land Between the Lakes but don't know much about it.
Old 05-15-2013, 10:34 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
I will give a thumb's up to Cumberland...and a thumb's up to a fellow BALL STATER! Go Cards!
Fellow BALL STATER fo sho!!!! Lived and learned a lot there...drank and did other stuff too, haha. Also a founding memeber of the BSU water ski team! Go Cards!!!

@Gregg, Lookin forward to seeing you there!!! Have a safe trip down, Put that Yellow 22 into Beast mode!!!

@aj, from what I am being told, the water level is up right now because of all the rain this spring. check out the link i have attached and look at the Jamestown webcam (where our event is being held this weekend), you can see the water level is not far from its original level back in '05. Maybe we'll see you on the water someday

http://www.lakecumberland.com/lake-web-cams/

tom