Notices

Chicago

Old 07-18-2013, 09:34 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Chicago

So, this is kind of a follow up to my boating in Chicago thread back in March....

I've been living in Chitown for 4 months now and I have the itch to get my 25 Active Thunder Tantrum out on Lake Michigan in front of the city, watching the boats in the playpen from Oak Street Beach is not doing it for me. I live in Lincoln Park and do not have a tow vehicle, so there's my problem.

Does anybody have suggestions on where to keep a 25 offshore in Chicago for August/September? I've thought about finding a storage facility and renting a tow vehicle when I want to use it. Not sure if chicago harbors pro-rate there slip rates, I know its very expensive for an entire season.

I see a lot of smaller boats out there, just wondering how people do there boating in the city.
Old 07-18-2013, 10:03 AM
Registered

Uhaul Cube Van all have Trailer hitches and cheap enough Just Get extra Insurance.
Leaving hardware in storage compound always has it risks .Bite the Bullet and leave in transient slip at Marina for the extended time.
Old 07-19-2013, 12:26 AM
Registered

You could go with in out service much cheaper. North of you is North Point Marina, then south of you there are a few places on the chicago river. Chicago Park District charge an arm and leg to rent slip from may15 to oct15. I assume you have a car to get around or are you using the ELL and metra.
Old 07-19-2013, 05:15 AM
Registered

Received 71 Likes on 39 Posts

You can try these guys. They do in/out service. They are about a 30 minute ride from Lincoln park, on the mouth of the cal sag river. From there to oak street, about a 20 minute boat ride. Theres a couple good beaches right around the corner from crowleys.

http://www.crowleys.com/storage1.html
Old 07-19-2013, 05:22 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Cigar Boat
Uhaul Cube Van all have Trailer hitches and cheap enough Just Get extra Insurance.
Leaving hardware in storage compound always has it risks .Bite the Bullet and leave in transient slip at Marina for the extended time.
Transient slips in the city range from $85 to $120 per night. Might not be the most financially sound idea...

I'd give Crowley's a try...its actually quite a good location compared to your other options. Although I'm not sure how long it would take you to get from Lincoln Park to Northpoint (which is a very nice facility)... It'd definitely be closer to the city itself by water to use Crowley's.
Old 07-22-2013, 08:45 AM
Registered

We checked out Crowley's last night. Took us 45 min to get there and an hour to get back with traffic. The area seemed sketchy as hell too, and I'm from the Detroit Area. I dont think the Fiancee would feel safe driving down there to meet up. I'd like to do most of my boating in front of the city, and a 14 mile boat ride is a long one if the weather kicks up, especially in a 25' boat. I'll have to check out North Point as well. Its in Ludington MI right now, I guess I'll keep it up there for the rest of the season and consider a star dock/scatting the bottom next year.

Does anybody have any details on the gray Cat I keep seeing in front of the city? Its got a #5 on the side and is loud!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:25 AM
mgh
Registered

Sell the 25 and get a cruiser. Speaking of bad neighborhoods, I was in Royal Oak over the weekend!!!
Old 07-22-2013, 11:28 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

sounds like speed racer. saw it out at wells st beach a couple weeks ago, along with an MTI cat. i read that he changed the rudder out for #6's, so this is an older pic.

Old 07-22-2013, 01:18 PM
Registered

Thats it! I can hear him from my Apartment on Belmont! I think he may have taken some of the graphics off too? I dont remember the cartoon on the side...