Grand Haven exhaust noise >

Grand Haven exhaust noise

Notices

Grand Haven exhaust noise

Old 08-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Grand Haven exhaust noise

We finally made it out for the first time yesterday. Decided to go to Grand Haven and while coming back in to watch the fireworks the sheriff pulls us over for excessive exhaust noise. We've never been checked before anywhere. I thought we were close to the limit. So he sets his boat approx 4 feet behind ours while tied up to the side of us. I watched the meter dance between low 92 to mid 93. He writes us a ticket for 93.5. My wife states to him we never had a problem and he says "You were lucky". Real nice. I couldnt believe how few boats there were out there. They even posted signs the full length of the sea wall in front of the stores and bars "No Mooring". That makes a boat owner feel welcome in town.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:12 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 814 Likes on 373 Posts

The late Todd hartigh fought with them over this quite a lot if I remember, cops there are pricks and you have a bunch of hoddy toddy homeowners who think they got the world by the balls and own the lake too and YOU are infringing on them. This does go back to the AZZHOLES who run dry open 118 DB exhaust on their boats because they love the noise and think everyone else does. Laws get passed and then enforced because of the stupid loud boats and then normal guys who are 1 db over the limit even using mufflers get hammered, it happens with Snowmobiles too, straight pipe/loud "CAN" guys get all the landowners pizzed off and next thing you know the fish police are handing out tickets for snowmobiles that are slightly louder than stock that no one would have ever gave 2 shiits about, sucks, Smitty
Old 08-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

I went out togrand haven 4 times this year before I lost my engine but was never checked...but I saw on Facebook that a lot of my friends were pulled over for exhaust this weekend. Not sure if they were trying to make up for lost summer or what. It was a real problem a few years ago but it seemed like they had laid off a little the last couple years due to the drastic decrease in weekend performance boaters because they scared them off. Sounds like they are back at it. They don't realize how much revenue we bring to them every weekend...a hell of a lot more than the noise tickets that they write!
Old 08-04-2013, 04:20 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Those dicks hosed the fireworks on the riverfront so bad with the fireboat we didn't even know if those bundles would fire for the event or not. Guess thats what you get when you give a cop a firehose...
Old 08-04-2013, 07:16 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I made it 50 feet this weekend before getting pulled over. He just had to run the numbers to make sure I was under 26 feet.

I got pulled over last year for noise trying to reset the anchor and was told mine was 112db with a stock 454. This is when I went and looked up the law. Most of the cops are doing the test wrong from the ones I have seen. The test is 3 meters back and one up from the exhaust. The meter also needs to be zeroed out for surrounding noise and you must be 50 meters from a wall or other sound reflecting structure. I am sure you have room to fight the ticket and I would.
Old 08-04-2013, 09:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Yep test was done wrong. There can not be any reflecting surfaces behind the boat. They have to use a wand off the back of your boat for it to be a legal test. Fight the ticket. Don't go to grand haven is what I do.
Old 08-04-2013, 11:15 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We would go to Grand Haven all the time before this BS started....mmm I wonder if all the Harley's rolling through town would pass the same test
Old 08-04-2013, 11:53 PM
Registered

Received 234 Likes on 81 Posts

if they keep this chit up, i'll be changing my venue of choice for sure!
Old 08-05-2013, 04:34 AM
Registered

Received 97 Likes on 41 Posts

They ruined it for me years ago, the jackass in charge of the marine patrol at that time lived on spring lake and hate loud boats. To bad, it's a fun town.
Old 08-05-2013, 11:33 AM
jus roamn
Platinum Member

Received 13 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Drock78
I went out togrand haven 4 times this year before I lost my engine but was never checked...but I saw on Facebook that a lot of my friends were pulled over for exhaust this weekend. Not sure if they were trying to make up for lost summer or what. It was a real problem a few years ago but it seemed like they had laid off a little the last couple years due to the drastic decrease in weekend performance boaters because they scared them off. Sounds like they are back at it. They don't realize how much revenue we bring to them every weekend...a hell of a lot more than the noise tickets that they write!
Yep, that suks when they intentionally harass the performance boaters and let the irresponsible idiots with people on the swim platform or bow with no rail slide by. Looks like they're going back to their old ways of being aggressive with the go fast boater.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.