Boating Tragedy Lake Michigan

Notices

Boating Tragedy Lake Michigan

Old 05-14-2014, 10:38 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Boating Tragedy Lake Michigan

I saw this on the Hull Truth

"WHITE RIVER TOWNSHIP, MI – Authorities have confirmed the body discovered on the Lake Michigan beach near Eilers Road in Muskegon County is that of the missing Grand Rapids boater, Muskegon County Sheriff Dean Roesler said.

The body has been confirmed to be that of the missing 53-year-old Grand Rapids man discovered by a beach walker Tuesday morning, May 13, on the Lake Michigan shoreline just south of the end of Eilers Road in White River Township, Roesler said.

A person walking along the beach there discovered the body, Roesler said.

The family of the deceased man is traveling from Detroit to identify him and, until that occurs, the name of the victim will not be released, Roesler said.

According to police, the boat the man was on had been found empty on Monday, May 12.

The 26-foot Sea Ray the man was using was located adrift about two to three miles out into Lake Michigan off of Eilers Road.

A resident of Eilers Road noticed the boat in the lake around 7 p.m. while viewing through a telescope. It was reported "erratically circling in Lake Michigan," according to a Muskegon County Sheriff's Office press release.

The man last seen in the boat had launched it from Armstrong's Marina in Whitehall intending to got to Pentwater by boat around 1 p.m. on Monday, May 12, police said. A friend was meeting him in Pentwater by vehicle and when the Grand Rapids man never showed up, he contacted police."

The Current water temp in Lake Michigan at Holland is 40.8 F
http://www.ndbc.noaa.gov/station_page.php?station=45029

Be careful out there.

I ordered 2 Mustang auto inflate vests to try out.

Wannabe
Old 05-14-2014, 12:02 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Sure would like to know what happen, a lot of unanswered questions.
Old 05-15-2014, 12:33 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 1 Post

Don't know that a life jacket would have even helped...40.8 degrees is COLD. You wouldn't last long in that.
Old 05-15-2014, 01:13 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by sommerfliesby
Don't know that a life jacket would have even helped...40.8 degrees is COLD. You wouldn't last long in that.
10min max with no vest before drowning, 45min before hypothermia sets in.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KDUUyC34ZTA not the vid i was looking for, but basically in 10min you lose control of muscle movements and drown, long before hypothermia will take over.

Last edited by downforce137; 05-15-2014 at 01:15 PM.
Old 05-15-2014, 02:11 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 344 Likes on 115 Posts

Originally Posted by s022mag
Sure would like to know what happen, a lot of unanswered questions.
My guess would be that he was taking a piss and fell overboard. I heard somewhere that a large % of drowning victims have their zipper down when found...