Need Advice - Lake St Clair to Port Huron area trip

Notices

Need Advice - Lake St Clair to Port Huron area trip

Old 07-06-2015, 09:30 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need Advice - Lake St Clair to Port Huron area trip

Hey Everyone,

Ive never traveled on St Clair or up the river. Looking at doing an overnight leaving the metropark in a few weeks and heading up to Port Huron or somewhere in that area. I will have my wife and 2 kids. We will be getting a hotel wherever we end up as the 2yr old is a beast. I have made the trip along the coast via motorcycle a ton of times....but again, this will be the first by boat.

Any advice on a good marina with hotel access or activities etc in that area? Advice on stops along the way? Advice on making the trip? I really dont even know how long it will take to make the run.

Haha, like I said....first trip up so I'm literally open to any and all suggestions. If anybody ever needs anything up north or advice on the Charlevoix area etc let me know and I'll gladly help or share.
Old 07-06-2015, 11:00 AM
Registered

Looks like Ill book a slip at the Bridge Harbour Marina and grab us a room at one of the hotels right there.
Old 07-06-2015, 12:31 PM
Registered

Port Huron is nice. Across the lake is Sarnia Canada. That s one of my favorite Marina's. A few nice restaurants near the marina and hotels within walking distance. The owners are super people and will shuttle you downtown if you ask. There is also a nice pool at the marina for the kids. Obviously, since it's Canada you must have all your paperwork in place.

Metro to st Clair is a nice run and little to watch out for. The channel leading into the st Clair river twists and turn but it's well marked. Once you enter the river you have a decent stretch of no wake --- again, well marked
From there it's a nice easy run to St Clair. There is a large sandbar near the city of st Clair --- it's in the middle of the river and marked well

Once there you have 10 miles or so (just a guess) to Pt Huron. Easy to get in the marina if you're low enough that you don't have to deal with the bridges

If you decide to take a day run to Lake Huron, be ready for a little chop and lots of wakes under the bridge

Have a great time!
Old 07-06-2015, 12:50 PM
Registered

Awesome advice, thanks!

Can you tie up on the wall in St Clair? I seem to remember boats tied up there in the park on the river. I figure that may be a nice stop on the way to let the kids run for a bit.