32 Hustler SS project >

32 Hustler SS project

Notices

32 Hustler SS project

Old 07-01-2007, 11:54 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 32 Hustler SS project

Ok, So I won this boat on Ebay. I own a automotive Performance/fabrication shop and have been looking to get into power boats. I have always had a love for the water and cruising on the parents 03 rinker 270 viesta vee isnt cutting it anymore.

I went to go check it out yesterday for the first time in person. It needs alot more work than I thought. The Gel coat on the deck half is cracking in a bunch of places and for cosmetic reasons should prob get a full recoat. The cabin is pretty clean but the upper deck will need the most work, reupholster, wood trim pieces replaced, New flooring. The captain and nav buckets developed fractures which someone had began repairing and did a piss poor fiberglass job. I dont like the way the seats are anyway so instead of redoing to repair they will prob be cut out, Patch the holes and run twin floor mount rotating buckets in their place. The wiring is all there and doesnt appear to be cracking etc but rather than dealing with the mess I will rewire. Outdrives appear to be in better condition than the one on my parents 03 boat and the transmissions oil/power steering has no leaks and fluid looks mint. Props are good as well. Hydrolic actuators are prob all shot and im assuming will not be in good working order. The hull itself is free of stress cracks and looks clean aside from a scuff in the front and the usual blemishes from objects in the water and docking over the years.

I am not afraid of a project and will enjoy doing a restore on the boat but it has been sitting uncovered and there is alot of water under the cabin floor. The fiberglass does not seem to be effected but being i know next to nothing about the actual hulls of boats this worries me. Is this an ok, and a common thing on boats that I shouldnt worrie about? What is the worst i should prepare for? Should I run for the hills before i give up my money?

Also, I was wondering if anyone on here knows of this boat and anything about it? Oh and whats the diff. between the 1982 hustler packages SS,LE etc?

Thanks,
Nick

Pics:

Last edited by 32HustSS; 07-01-2007 at 12:24 PM.
Old 07-01-2007, 12:07 PM
Registered

Here is some pics of the water:

Its hard to see the water but in the third picture you can see its up to the top of the right support.
Old 07-02-2007, 09:52 PM
Registered

Congrats on your boat. I saw the boat on Ebay and as long as the hull is sound it seems like a good deal.I would not be concerned with the water as long as the wood under the fiberglass is not wet.If it is, then you have some big problems.Just wet vac all the water out and let it dry out.You have to get it completely dry or you may get mold and mildew in the cabin later on down the road.You might want to have a marine surveyor do a moisture test on the hull before you start the project.I believe they have some sort of scanner or machine that detects moisture trapped in the hull.You have a lot of work ahead of you but in the end it will be worth it.Those hulls are built very strong, and you should be able to run hard in some nasty water. Just take your time and do it right the first time.If you try to cut corners you will be sorry in the end.I would change the boat over to Bravos if you can afford to do it.The TRS drives with transmissions can be a pain the rear sometimes.Just my opinion based on friends who have had them in the past and present.Give me a shout if you have any other questions.Best of luck and enjoy.Patience!!!!!!

Jay
Old 07-03-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

Thanks Jay, For the vote of confidence. I build race cars and the same rules apply as far as doing it right the first time! I guess at this point im crossing my fingers for no rot and im very uneasy about it! Im actually trying to get the price dropped down a bit because I was not informed of the water and if all goes well I will be going back with the truck this weekend to pick her up. I will post again once I get it to the shop and pump the water out so I can really see whats going on.

Oh , I read somewhere that in 82 these hulls were vac bagged? Is this true? If so im assuming it would increase my chances that the stringers are sealed up tight?
Old 07-03-2007, 09:58 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

i doubt that they vacum bagged those hulls back then. the 32 is a very fast hull. i would get the boat surveeyed before goin threw with it just to make sure.
Old 07-04-2007, 10:08 AM
Registered

I doubt that is vacum bagged also.If you want to know for sure try calling Paul Fiore at Outerlimits Offshore Powerboats.He owned the company at that time and is a real nice guy.I am sure he could answer any question you have on that hull and be an invaluable resource for you in your restoration.He is an incredibly intelligent man that knows his boats and is very nice to talk to.I know Outerlimits has a ton of things going on right now, but if catch him at the office I am sure he could answer some questions for you.The telephone number is 401-253-7300.I hope this helps.Let me know how you make out.If you want to you can pm me and I will give you my cell# if you need any other help.Good Luck.

Jay
Old 07-08-2007, 07:34 PM
Registered

This particular 32 has been bought & sold a couple times over the past 5 years. In '03 boat was in Kansas, then went to CT. Boat had 454/330 with TRS's. Hope you're buying it for right $'s.
Old 07-11-2007, 06:37 PM
Registered

Paying 7200. I figure between the 03' Aluminum Concept tripple axle trailer and the drives/trannys etc If things really go that sour with the hull I could part it out and make the money back or maybe put some in my pocket? What do you think?

Nick
Old 07-13-2007, 01:24 PM
Registered

hey nick its C.J. from the shop next door. welcome to the board man...... and good luck with the hustler
Old 07-13-2007, 01:54 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I would NOT use the rotating buckets..those kind of seats are built for about 50mph and no big water.. To many moving parts. Id get a fourpoint floor mount drop out bolster seat for it. The last thing you want is to be sittin on the floor when you land off a big 4'er...I think you got a good deal if the hull tests out dry. Project boats are a blast. Hell, you could make half back on what you spent for just that trailer.. Congrats and keep us updated on new pics.

Quick Reply: 32 Hustler SS project

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.