adding batteries

Notices

adding batteries

Old 06-25-2010, 01:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jonyb
Optima batteries are junk. I do lots of boat installs in my area and everyone that brings in the Optima's come back later for something different. There's a guy with a Supra wakeboat similar to mine that has 7 yellow tops, and still can't play the stereo all day long, and he's only got 5 JL amps....

I use Stinger batteries in my installs. In the new 39' Rockit I just worked on, I added 1 Stinger SPP2150 to power the stereo. I used a 150A relay that only connects the stereo batteries to the starting batteries when the owner flips a switch. The relay is supposed to be wired to the ignition switch, but I do it a little different. This way, the owner can start the boat, have it idling, then open the circuit so the stereo is connected to the motors. The motors won't charge the batteries, just maintain them at the voltage they're at. Alternators aren't chargers.

Reserve time is not a problem with these batteries if they're maintained right, and you don't need 2 unless the stereo is huge., after all that does make a difference.

Check out www.stingerelectronics.com and check out the Pro series batteries. Note the prices, and PM me if interested. I sell them considerably cheaper than the retail price listed on the site.

You are correct!!!! Optima Batteries are JUNK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! As mentioned earlier, I replaced the Stbd. battery in October ('09) and it tested bad this morning. I'm pulling them out and putting new trays and new batteries in. What an overpriced POS Optima is!!!!!
Old 08-05-2010, 04:28 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

More often than not when there's a "weird" electrical issue it seems that a battery is usually at fault. I had a die hard battery test positive (12.5 volts) at the beginning of the year, but I couldn't figure out why I always had to throw my boat on the charger (and why it would BARELY start when I went to leave). After ONE outting the thing tested 5.5 volts, and the damn battery was so dead that it was killing the other battery and I couldn't open the engine compartment.

To get the engine compartment open I had to have the new 975cc amp battery hooked up WITH a 900cc jump pack and the hatch BARELY creeped open. Swapped out the battery and the hatch goes up and down faster than it has since I bought the boat, and starts every time too, even after running the radio and accessories for 12 hours!
Old 08-06-2010, 09:54 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Lake Rat
My Starboard battery was replaced last Oct. The Port tested fine at that time. I need to test the port battery again. I'm with you, I would think it should be fine for several hours with just the radio on moderate volume.
mine will play for hours on the 2 batterys and has never even strained to crank

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:18 PM
Registered

Rob
Do you mean the 2 factory installed batteries, or did you install 2 batteries for your stereo.
Old 08-09-2010, 02:20 PM
Registered

If I install 2 batteries in parallel (say each battery has 100 min. R/C) will my R/C be about 200 min.
Old 08-09-2010, 05:04 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by NEVERSATISFIED
Rob
Do you mean the 2 factory installed batteries, or did you install 2 batteries for your stereo.

I just added one battery to the existing battery, run parallel

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.