slingshot questions >

slingshot questions

Notices

slingshot questions

Old 06-10-2013, 12:03 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default slingshot questions

Looking at a 99 slingshot that had been outside for a while and the forward bilge was full of water. Hooked power up to the boat and the forward bilge ran for 10 minutes to clear it all out. Where is this front pump located and where did this water come from (cockpit, anchor locker or somewhere else?) Cabin floor was dry but interior had mildew.

Is there any wood in the stringers, core, bulkheads, seat bases etc? What are these boats made with?

Thanks,

Vance
Old 06-12-2013, 08:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

there is a punp right in front of the steps as you walk down into the cabin you will see a access panel under the carpet
Old 06-12-2013, 10:35 PM
Registered

thanks man!
Old 06-13-2013, 02:53 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

The drain hole in the floor infront of the back seat,if the nose is down or alot of water gets in there,the water can go forward into the front step well,Also water will run under the wind screen and go in there,the cabin door will drain into the front,the water holding tank if leaked will be in the front,the sink,icebox and bathroom drain into the front..

It would have to have a crack to get water from the anchor locker and wouldnt amount to much if closed,also the lite or speaker wires is pretty low in there and can leak in there if the drain hole is stoped up,likley,

did it have a cockpit cover on it?

when the boat looks level or on blocks,all the water will not drain to the back

More than likely the water didn't hurt the structure up front,The moisture and mold might be a prob, the headliner is glued in, it might start coming down,maybe,

TMI

holler if ya need more

Rob

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 06-13-2013, 03:18 PM
Rob
VIP Member

I had my water tank line leak once, that puts water in the floor,usually if it looks full in the pump area,it will not fill up a 5 gall shop vac

[ATTACH=CONFIG]502561[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]502562[/ATTACH][ATTACH=CONFIG]502563[/ATTACH]
Attached Thumbnails slingshot questions-4-16-09-014-large-.jpg   slingshot questions-bildge-10-19-09-100.jpg   slingshot questions-bildge-10-19-09-085.jpg  

Old 06-14-2013, 11:06 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the info rob. It did have a cockpit cover on it, not sure how water proof it was. Are any of the seat bases or floor made of wood? Is there any wood in these boats that I need to worry about being rotted? Bulkheads stringers transom etc?

Thanks

Vance
Old 06-15-2013, 04:44 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Not real sure up front,but by looking at it they look sealed up pretty good,I wouldn't be worried about anything in the cockpit/floor etc.rear bulkhead prob nothing to worrie there,the front bilge step is the gas tank,under carpet step, rear bulk head I don't think it can really get that wet, in the engine compartment ,unless the drain holes were stomped up and water sitting in there, unlikely,I would ck the center stringer, 2 out side ones and transom w/ a moisture meter,unless it was left in the water and held water for a long time,prob unlikely also,

Theres one other place to ck, I cant describe it very well, pm me your # ill try

If its a older cover it prob leaks,again if water ran toward the windshield it will run into the front sump,

did the water have algee? stink,or have fish'es in it,lol

I would look under the dash and look at the wiring panel,see if its corroded looking, if you can pull the cabin side panel and look in there ,that will show signs also,but takes a liitle effort to get in it, thats were the stereo amps are,all the 110 wiring would be and your 12v ascy panel,

Was the nose down or level?

the side air vents usally drain into the bilge, but on some it will hit just behind the rear bulkhead and can run forward,The cockpit side compartments in there under it is that channel that runs past the dash and the same at the 2 drain in the rear cockpit and under seat,

The pick that show went in my picks if under the back seat behind that inspection panel,it will hold water there because of the rear step is about 2 inchs higher,and thats the rear bulkhead also.

Another thing i found was the exhaust tip cut out are not sealed from the factory,when I redid my boat we gel coated it and the transom drive holes, the exhaust is never under water anyway though.

hope all this helps. Hollar if ya need more,

Rob
mycell601259RACE

Old 06-16-2013, 08:47 AM
Rob
VIP Member

Vance which boat are you looking at? on sale here? There are some advantages of a newer model,late 2000-2001, then again in 2003

Like the 2003 Mean streak boat has a pretty aggressive price,it has a known history here on OSO,Eric custom ordered it,Now Chris has it and it still looks like it was very well taken care up,and a reliable Mercury engine package.

Rob

Old 06-17-2013, 10:39 PM
Registered

I'll fill you in if the deal goes as planned. I looked at Chris' mean streak. Super nice guy and a very nice boat we were within hours of making a deal on it. Boat I'm looking at has the older cabin/hull strakes and should be a great deal if all goes well. Its a 1 owner boat.

Thanks for all your help answering questions and the photos have been very helpful. I believe the water came from the leaking cockpit cover.

Do you know what the transom/stringers and bulkheads are made out of?

Thanks,

vance
Old 06-17-2013, 10:49 PM
Rob
VIP Member

There wood, the hull flat surfaces are foam cored,the bottom is about 1in,deck is thiner,side is around 1/2,it has carbonfiber/kevlar thats a b*tch to cut thru

Last edited by Strip Poker 388; 06-18-2013 at 12:05 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.