Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Ilmor High Performance Marine
Would Ilmor ever build an outboard? >

Would Ilmor ever build an outboard?

Notices

Would Ilmor ever build an outboard?

Old 07-11-2012, 08:32 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Would Ilmor ever build an outboard?

I know this may be out there and I understand alot of you guys are die hard inboard fans and I can understand why.

I feel like there is a void in the outboard market. Lets face it 4-strokes are the future and really there are no true high performance 4 stroke outboards. If Ilmor would build a 300+ hp under 500 lbs 4-stroke outboard that turns a decent amount of rpm I bet it would sell. For one thing it would help keep the cost down of performance boating, even if these were 25 grand a motor.

Again I'm dreaming here but I just wanted to hear others thoughs and ideas.
Old 07-11-2012, 08:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something like these?

http://www.boats.com/blog/2011/02/se...ami-boat-show/
Old 07-12-2012, 12:53 PM
Diamond Member #001
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Ilmor has built many lightweight aluminum engines, but almost all were for auto racing applications. They built this in 1994. It weighed 273 pounds and made 1,012 hp. Unfortunately, it cost about $200k each...

They do build a two-cylinder V-twin bike engine for Viper, and some small aircraft drone engines, but I am sure that they do not see a market strong enough to develop and outboard. They still need to get their recreational sterndrive family going at the moment...
Attached Thumbnails Would Ilmor ever build an outboard?-ilmor500i-tm-drawing.jpg  
Old 07-12-2012, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 37 Likes on 23 Posts

I've seen the 7 marine engine and I think the key to a high performance outboard is weight. Why it may be good on fishing boats, I cant seen two of them doing to well on a 28 skater though.

I know Ilmor has a history of making amazing powerplants and to be honest I was thinking maybe a 3 liter four cylinder or even a v6 would make for a great high performance outboard to fill the void left from mercury 2.5's. again 300+ hp, under 500lbs, and under 30 grand