Notices

Insurance Gods

Old 11-20-2007, 10:25 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Insurance Gods

I have a quick question for the insurance gods.I had a little incident about 7 weeks ago when a boat hit my boat causing some damage while I was anchored.The other party did not stop to see if there was any damage or to see if the kids on the boat he knocked over were ok,but I know who he is and we communicated via e-mail after the weekend was over.Without getting into a lot of details he agreed to take care of the matter without getting the insurance companies involved.Well its been a few weeks and it seems like Im getting the cold shoulder.So, my question is-Is it to late for me to call my insurance company and report the incident? Or should I handle it differently and if so how?

Thanks Nordic95
Old 11-21-2007, 02:42 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Do not talk to him any more
have your lawyer do the talking for you
he had his chance

enjoy
Old 11-21-2007, 05:43 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

File a police report. Today.

Before you go, sit down and write out in the best detail possible all you can remember about the incident as well as all the detail on conversations since then with dates, times, etc. Witnesses? Have them do the same. Then contact your local prosecutor's office. If you have phone bills, attach copies showing the calls to his number. Cell phone companies can give you detailed billing on request.
Old 11-21-2007, 06:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
File a police report. Today.

Before you go, sit down and write out in the best detail possible all you can remember about the incident as well as all the detail on conversations since then with dates, times, etc. Witnesses? Have them do the same. Then contact your local prosecutor's office. If you have phone bills, attach copies showing the calls to his number. Cell phone companies can give you detailed billing on request.
I saved the e-mails we sent back and forth,never had a phone conversation.He never ever came over to see the damage the whole weekend.I have three estimates and one was from the factory and very high,then two were local repair shops and i agrred with him the repair shop would be ok to save him a ton of money since he wanted to do it out of pocket.Well If I dont see any check by Friday at noon I will take the next step.And I do have a ton of witnesses also.What about just calling my insurance company??

Thanks Nordic95
Old 11-21-2007, 06:54 PM

Originally Posted by nordic95
I saved the e-mails we sent back and forth,never had a phone conversation.He never ever came over to see the damage the whole weekend.I have three estimates and one was from the factory and very high,then two were local repair shops and i agrred with him the repair shop would be ok to save him a ton of money since he wanted to do it out of pocket.Well If I dont see any check by Friday at noon I will take the next step.And I do have a ton of witnesses also.What about just calling my insurance company??

Thanks Nordic95
The first question your insurabce company will ask you is "did you file a report with the police?" If you read your policy's language, you are required to do so immediately. Every minute you wait casts suspicion on why you haven't. Do you honestly expect anything from this fellow that you won't get once he's arrested and charged with a crime?

Why are you being nice to a hit-and-run scumbag?
Old 11-21-2007, 09:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Get The Bat Out!!!!
Old 11-21-2007, 10:21 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,824 Likes on 909 Posts

If you file a claim with your insurance company, most likely they will pay to fix your boat and then go after him. It will go against your insurance.

Laws vary from state to state as far as when a police report MUST be filed. Insurance companies like reports filed because it makes there job easier.

Contact the law enforcement agency that is in charge of the lake you were on and ask them what you can do. Then, email the guy who hit you and tell him to either pay up or turn it into his insurance. Tell him he's got 24hrs before you file the report with the proper authorities.
Old 11-22-2007, 06:27 AM

Someone explain the logic behind not calling the appropriate LE agency and filing a report right now?

Second, when it finally does all go down the drain, what explanation will you provide to your insurer as to why you didn't call that moment- why you didn't take steps to protect yours and their interests immediately?

Either I'm missing something or there's more to this...
Old 11-22-2007, 08:56 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Someone explain the logic behind not calling the appropriate LE agency and filing a report right now?

Second, when it finally does all go down the drain, what explanation will you provide to your insurer as to why you didn't call that moment- why you didn't take steps to protect yours and their interests immediately?

Either I'm missing something or there's more to this...
I didn't report it immediately because the event where this happened almost didn't happen this year due to some issues with speed and what the marine police called reckless boating from last years event.So since it was minimal damage and I didn't want to have the police involved at that moment to tarnish the event I left it alone till after the weekend.Then Monday morning is when I was asked to get estimates and that took me a couple of weeks to get three estimates together.My issue is with the way the matter has been handles on his part,maybe I'm different but if I hit any thing in my boat or car I would be going out of my way to make sure I did the right thing to make it right.I guess it shows the caliber of some people.Plus he is a long time OSO member and I figured I could trust him with this.
Old 11-26-2007, 08:34 AM
GLH
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 19 Likes on 13 Posts

Your $450 check that was agreed to to fix the bent front hook on your pontoon boat has been mailed, pardon the delay I have been busy.

Quick Reply: Insurance Gods

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.