Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Insurance and Finance (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/insurance-finance-198/)
-   -   How Could This Be (State Farm Quote) (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/insurance-finance/180850-how-could-state-farm-quote.html)

baywatch 02-27-2008 08:15 PM

I also have statefarm coverage. I believe it has more to do with the agent than anything. I had a previous agent (state farm as well) that told me he couldn't get me insurance on a 35' Sonic. This same agent also sent me to an insurance broker for a couple of my rental properties because he said state farm couldn't offer home owners on them.

Come to find out the Sonic in question was insured with SF and my agent was full of BS and cherry picking what he would and wouldn't write regardless of underwriting.

Bad move for him because I found an agent that wanted to be a member of my team and do his job. I moved the vehicles, Primary residence, rental properties, places @ the lake, Jewelery, Condo contents, life insurance, contractors policy, etc. etc.

As a side note: I took the Missouri boater safety course which gave me a discount on the premium and then I inquired about an additional break if I took Tres course as well and they said no. I still want to take Tres Course, but was shocked that SF didn't see the value in an intensive course like his rather than answering some common sense questions on the computer.

sleeper_dave 02-28-2008 07:57 AM

state farm gave me a good quote but they wouldn't bind it. they sent it to underwriting and they wouldn't write the policy.

ended up having to go to progressive.

nordy racer 02-28-2008 10:21 AM

i have SF on 5 cars, 2 motorcycles and my home.. i have been with them for years.. they cover my Baja with a rate under 400 bucks a year.. i went in and asked about coverage on a 35-38 Fountain.. as soon as i stated FOUNTAIN, he was like NOPE sorry.. he didn't even want to know HP numbers..

Sea-Dated 02-28-2008 11:23 AM

Originally Posted by nordy racer (Post 2464209)
i have SF on 5 cars, 2 motorcycles and my home.. i have been with them for years.. they cover my Baja with a rate under 400 bucks a year.. i went in and asked about coverage on a 35-38 Fountain.. as soon as i stated FOUNTAIN, he was like NOPE sorry.. he didn't even want to know HP numbers..

They wouldn't insure my 1990 29' Fountain either and it only had 365hp 454's. I was shocked they covered the Cig with 500's.

Tres 02-28-2008 12:34 PM

All I can say is be prepared for the day it makes it accross the audit desk.

Carder 02-28-2008 12:47 PM

gentleman, I had SF on my previous Fountain ('92 29' w/ 502's) The rate was reasonable, and they didn't ask about speeds... Then it sank, due to rotted caulk around the Thru-hull exhaust. All of the sudden I was treated like a criminal, they tried to deny the claim, saying I sank it on purpose, and then they refused to total it, even though it was underwater for a day... Boat was worth $50K at the time, bringing it back to life cost $60k, and it took a year of my life to resove.
THE POLICIES ARE CHEAP, BECAUSE THEY HAVE NO INTENTION ON PAYING A CLAIM WITHOUT LITIGATION !!
Look elsewhere, and run away as fast as possible.
Carder

omerta one 02-28-2008 12:49 PM

Originally Posted by baywatch (Post 2463429)
I also have statefarm coverage. I believe it has more to do with the agent than anything. I had a previous agent (state farm as well) that told me he couldn't get me insurance on a 35' Sonic. This same agent also sent me to an insurance broker for a couple of my rental properties because he said state farm couldn't offer home owners on them.

Come to find out the Sonic in question was insured with SF and my agent was full of BS and cherry picking what he would and wouldn't write regardless of underwriting.

Bad move for him because I found an agent that wanted to be a member of my team and do his job. I moved the vehicles, Primary residence, rental properties, places @ the lake, Jewelery, Condo contents, life insurance, contractors policy, etc. etc.

As a side note: I took the Missouri boater safety course which gave me a discount on the premium and then I inquired about an additional break if I took Tres course as well and they said no. I still want to take Tres Course, but was shocked that SF didn't see the value in an intensive course like his rather than answering some common sense questions on the computer.

Just FYI State Farm, has insured me for 30 years +/-. My agent is great and he has virtually all my insurance; business, homes, cars, my boys cars, boats, jewelry, etc. It probably doesn't hurt that I'm AARP eligible either.

srl520 02-28-2008 04:29 PM

Thanks for all the response on this topic which seems to always stir up alot of controversy.
I have decided that I am not going to purchase the Fountain that I was looking at until I sell my Formula, but I am going to definatly do some more research with my agent to be sure they don't drop me as soon as they see a picture of it.

I did find it ironic although, that underwriting did ask my agent if the boat was a Quote "cigar or cigarette" type of boat. I did explain to the agent that it was not a "Cigarette Boat" but was in the class of performance boats.

Then asked about some of the eupipment that was on the boat (generator, full galley amdenties, etc.)
Thats when she called underwriting back and they told agent that this boat falls under performance cruiser, not High Performance.

As we can see there is alot of things that State Farm, and other insurance companies look at and may say yes today and no tomorrow.
The last thing I want is to have approved coverage, buy a boat and find out 2wks later they changed there mind.
I discussed this with my agent who I have had all my stuff with for the past 7yrs and been with SF total 25yrs.
She reasured me this would not happen to me as long as she was my agent.
From what I read on here, the agent does seem to be the influancing factor with SF.

srl520 02-28-2008 04:44 PM

One more thing I should add.
I did file a claim of $4500.00 last yr for a stero that was stolen out of my Formula last yr.
I was only going to file if my agent asured me that my premiums would not go up and/or I would not be dropped.

I filed, even with out police report. No appraiser came out and look at the boat. Basically took my word for it and sent me a check.
Still with SF 8mo later and premium is still the same.

nordy racer 02-28-2008 07:46 PM

i hope your agent doesn't retire anytime soon.. good luck :)