Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
How do I handle a claim from ky lake? >

How do I handle a claim from ky lake?

Notices

How do I handle a claim from ky lake?

Old 06-20-2010, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default How do I handle a claim from ky lake?

On the way back during the poker run I seem to have struck something with my port drive...was running about 3 grand when I felt a hard jerk and then my rpms hit 6 grand. Stopped immediately. Got the hatch up and the motor was fine but noticed drive fluid was empty. Looked out back and drive fluid was everywhere. Seems to me I broke the coupler and the drive is junked. I called my insurance company and they have a rep contacting me tomorrow. He said I had great coverage options. I was just curious what the best way to handle this is? If I have a shop quote me do I just fax that in usually. Do they send the check to me or the company? I have never been in an accident that required me to file a claim so I am not real sure what protocol is for an individual.
Old 06-21-2010, 12:56 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

It is really going to depend on what the adjuster says and how your company handles claims. Just wait and see what the claims rep or adjuster says to do.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:49 AM
Registered

Thanks griff. My stomache is in knots today....Could be the difference between boating in a few weeks or next season depending on if insurance will cover this. Not sure if they request info from the mechanic or just want me to send them a quote on what it is to fix and they send me a check.
Old 06-21-2010, 08:57 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

First of all I assume you mean on the way back "from" the poker run (in case your insurance has an exclusion for poker runs-some do). You will need to see what the adjuster says but most companies will want an estimate from your repair facility first, outlining the damage and what they propose to repair it. Depending on the amount and they could just cut a check, since it will probably not be cheap the next stop will be to call your repair guys and discuss what he thinks happened. Of course he should be truthful because if they are not satisfied they will send an adjuster to the boat to look over the damage and verify or dispute what your repair shop is saying. If everyone agrees as to what happened and it is a covered repair (debris strikes usually are assuming that's what happened) then they will likely write a check to you and the repair facility. Many insurance companies are now avoiding writing a check to the owner only since so many people are just keeping the cash and not repairing the boat, thsi becomes a problem if the lender goes to repossess it and it is broken.
Old 06-21-2010, 09:38 AM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

I hate to be the evil sayer, but you implied the cost of the drive is going to be a major financial setback, what effect will a claim have on his rates and future insurability? I would find out and balance this equation first.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:36 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Who is your Insurance company????

The accident should be covered without any real issues. This is probably the most frequent type of claim that insurance companies have on boats.

I had a claim for hitting a submerged object about 8-9 years ago for about 7k. They did not increase my rates at all.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:38 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I think u meant to say while boating around the KY dam i must have hit a submerged log ... mention POKER RUN and get your checkbook out Beautiful Lake but have to watch where ya'll go
Old 06-21-2010, 10:39 AM
Registered

Yes I am also waiting on that....Just talked to the insurance guy and he said if there is not major damage to the outershell then I probably didn;t hit anything but something just let loose mechanically. I have never seen and metal in the fluid when I changed them and not had any problems so this is a little hard for me to beleive. Repair shop also said he is kind of a dick and fights estimates and claims hard all the time. Makes me wonder why I even have insurance. I will just pull her back in to the garage and start shoveling back money. bummer of a f'ing year.
Old 06-21-2010, 10:41 AM
Registered

I never mentioned the Poker Run
Old 06-21-2010, 10:45 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

No need to go there yet. Any good hit on a prop blade will also indicate a submerged object, as would a bent prop shaft. The case could be fine and may not show a mark. Believe it or not, most adjusters will not turn down claims unless they have no other choice. It requires a LOT more work for them to turn it down and most are just too lazy to do it. But if there is no physical evidence he doesn't have much choice.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.