Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
Any one had to make auto or boat claims with state farm??? >

Any one had to make auto or boat claims with state farm???

Notices

Any one had to make auto or boat claims with state farm???

Old 12-28-2010, 08:44 PM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

We've had state farm for years, one boat claim and they were easy to deal with. A few years ago some friends rented a building to store several boats in......some kids broke in the adjoining unit and started a fire, 3 boats totaled. 2 with State Farm had checks in 8-10 days and were happy with the amounts. 1 had Progressive and settled for 85% of what he thought he was owed 2 YEARS later.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:02 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default claims

Wow, thanks for all the info. Sounds like I need to know how to better play the game!!!
Old 12-28-2010, 09:44 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Have SF for all cars an house. Never an issue with claims on cars. When we were broken into last march they were here 5 mins after the cops and the door was fixed in hours and the rest fixed the next day. Check was cut for all electronics plus some. Very easy to deal with.
Old 12-28-2010, 09:46 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

I've had auto, home and boat claims with State Farm and never had any issues. Claims service has been very good. Alot can depend on the adjuster though.
If you have any problems, you need to have an agent that will go to bat for you and the agent needs to have some pull with corporate SF.
Old 12-28-2010, 10:52 PM
Registered

Received 155 Likes on 71 Posts

Originally Posted by aaronniquette
I have car,truck,boat,life and renters ins. w/ state farm. I just witnessed there claims service on a girlfriends car, that had the wind blow the door open and bend the piller and door.2005 caddy. state farm stood ground on saying this did not happen from the wind and we will only pay X amount when the damage estimate was Z , twice as much. She has comp. and colission and so on. car is fixed for X amount and car has over spray all over and sanding marks in black paint. Body shop sais We were paid X amounrt that is as as far as we sand for X amount . If the insurance wants to pay more than we can go further with these issues. We had to use after market parts also for the door hinges.This was requested by Statefarm.

So my question is this what I can expect if I have a claim?

Do they really know what they are insuring in the boat market???

Who governs insurance to see that thier business is fair???
First, did you take the car to one of State Farm's endorsed body shops? If you do, the body shop actually does the adjustment on what its gonna take to fix it right. If you go to your own place you want, the adjuster will just cut you a check and that's your budget.

Second, if the car was fixed badly, did you sign the release papers and take the car? If so, your screwed cause you signed off on it being done to your liking. This is where if you took it to one of State Farm's endorsed body shops comes into play. If it is, you can call State Farm and have them make the body shop fix it. If the shop isn't endorsed by them, your on your own.
Old 12-29-2010, 12:48 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by haulinvols
Aftermarket parts are pretty common place. In a lot of cases the aftermarket part is just as good or better than the factory piece. As to what you can expect if you have a claim???...pretty much the same type of service.

I was a claimant with State Farm about 3 years ago. A lady that hit me had State Farm and they were horrible to deal with. That said, there are definitely some better claims offices to deal with than others. I have heard good things about them in other areas.

As far as what they know about what they are insuring....well, it would all depend on if your agent underwrote the policy correctly and provided them the correct information about the risk. Most carriers don't deal well with the performance market and most are getting away from it because they don't price adequately for it.

Each state has an insurance commissioner or department that regulates insurance. You should be able to look them up fairly easily on the net for your state.

Many time s after market parts are very much inferior. Take a 1985 GMC or chevy pick up. The gas tank was mounted outboard of the frame rails. As a safety fix GMC and chevy beefed up the inner and outer rocker on these vehicles, they were very solid almost frame like peices from GM Aftermarket sells them in super thin HSS (high strength steel) versions with no reinforcement. How its even legal I dont know but the vehicle would never have passed crash tests with these aftermarket rockers installed.

I wouldnt want to trust my life to after market door hinges in a rollover situation.
If I had that Insurance company Id make them sign off assuming all responsibilty for the safety of thet product for the future before I accepted it. If they wouldnt sign I would accept it.

Insurance companies are like legalized book makers. the ODDS and the laws are always in thier favor.
You have Lobbyists and big campaign contributions to thank for that.
Old 12-29-2010, 04:41 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think the problem is your body shop not the insurance company
Old 12-29-2010, 08:05 AM
www.Bajaboatowners.com
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 30ctsutphen
Many time s after market parts are very much inferior. Take a 1985 GMC or chevy pick up. :

I said in many cases, not all. I agree parts for older cars are rarely as good as the original. That said, modern cars are built out of very thin and sometimes barely adequate thicknesses and materials. This is primarly to save money and weight. Hard to compare an overbuilt mid-80's GMC truck (I own one) to a modern rice box. I respect your opinion though.
Old 12-29-2010, 11:20 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Every insurance company will write the estimates with aftermarket parts. They just have to be "like kind and quality"
That is where the debate comes into play. This has been hashed out in court repeatedly in past years and the insurance companies have always won.
Old 12-30-2010, 01:06 AM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
I've had auto, home and boat claims with State Farm and never had any issues. Claims service has been very good. Alot can depend on the adjuster though.
If you have any problems, you need to have an agent that will go to bat for you and the agent needs to have some pull with corporate SF.
I left State Farm several years ago for cheaper home/auto rates with AAA. However, I have to say that over the years, my claims experience with them was excellent. Oddly enough, I just got a check from them about 4 months ago. About 6 years ago, I had a Comp. claim on my car after it was damaged by a car wash. The car wash refused to pay up to fix the damage they caused and i had to put in a claim and pay my deductible.....the check was a refund of my deductible...took them 6 years but they got their judgment against the car wash and returned my deductible as promised all those years ago.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.