Private Party Sale & Sales Tax >

Private Party Sale & Sales Tax

Notices

Private Party Sale & Sales Tax

Old 10-21-2011, 01:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Private Party Sale & Sales Tax

I live in CA and may purchase a boat from a private party in AZ. I will register the boat in AZ as I have an address there, will store it there, and will use it there. It has been my understanding that proof of paid sales tax is required to register a boat when registration is due, however, I believe AZ does not require sales tax to be paid on a private party purchase. Can anyone verify that this is correct?
Old 10-22-2011, 01:00 PM
Registered

Private party sale on a boat reg in AZ has no tax
Old 11-29-2011, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

But yes if you bought the boat in another state and trying to register it in another state, you will either need proof you paid tax in the other state, which would only be applicable if you bought from a store/marina, and your receipt would work. But if you bought from a private party you paid no tax so you would have to have a bill of sale where then the state would calculate the sales tax.
Old 11-29-2011, 08:14 AM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by DCB F32
Private party sale on a boat reg in AZ has no tax
Ditto no Az tax , keep that Arizona address

ROCK ON !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
ITS A SKATER NATION !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Old 11-30-2011, 03:08 PM
Registered

Location: Northern, KY (Cincinnati) Lake St Clair, MI Norris Lake, TN
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Kentucky is the same way. Private party - private party = no sales tax. BUT the registratration sticker will cost 1% of the boat's value annually as a "property tax."

My guess is if AZ doesn't charge sales tax, they'll get you somewhere else??????

Last edited by Baja_342; 11-30-2011 at 03:14 PM.
Old 11-30-2011, 10:58 PM
Registered

Use Yacht registry in Delaware. No taxes and you don't need an address in DE.
Old 12-01-2011, 07:10 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Baja_342
Kentucky is the same way. Private party - private party = no sales tax. BUT the registratration sticker will cost 1% of the boat's value annually as a "property tax."

My guess is if AZ doesn't charge sales tax, they'll get you somewhere else??????
yup its always true. My guess would be higher registration rates.

Like NY we pay sales tax but registration is like 40 bucks for three years.
Old 01-05-2012, 08:34 PM
Registered

Has anybody tried to register there boat with the us coast guard rather than a state? Just wondering I bought a used boat in KY last yr. I live in pa. I bought from a dealer and had boat shipped with a commercial shipping company so the KY dealer didn't charge sales tax. If I register in pa I gotta pay 6% tax. I have looked at the Coast guard registration online and it only seems to ba asking for copy of Title which I have and a bill of sale which I have. Just wondering if I send the coasties $200 will the Feds be after some sort of taxes?
Old 01-05-2012, 08:36 PM
Registered

Has anybody tried to register there boat with the us coast guard rather than a state? Just wondering I bought a used boat in KY last yr. I live in pa. I bought from a dealer and had boat shipped with a commercial shipping company so the KY dealer didn't charge sales tax. If I register in pa I gotta pay 6% tax. I have looked at the Coast guard registration online and it only seems to be asking for copy of Title which I have and a bill of sale which I have. Just wondering if I send the coasties $200 will the Feds be after some sort of taxes?
Old 01-05-2012, 09:04 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by aroraborialis
Has anybody tried to register there boat with the us coast guard rather than a state? Just wondering I bought a used boat in KY last yr. I live in pa. I bought from a dealer and had boat shipped with a commercial shipping company so the KY dealer didn't charge sales tax. If I register in pa I gotta pay 6% tax. I have looked at the Coast guard registration online and it only seems to be asking for copy of Title which I have and a bill of sale which I have. Just wondering if I send the coasties $200 will the Feds be after some sort of taxes?
Good question. I believe its not the feds but your state. Check into the regs. If it was really that easy I would imagine more people including myself would reg with the coast guard. I do have a buddy that skipped taxes and reg his in Delaware. Deal there is you have to be incorporated and have an address there. He also has to pay x amount every few years and after so long without selling and buying a new boat it doesn't make financial sense. From what I've read here if you bought in Az and have a residence in Az just reg it there no tax. I do have a buddy that bought in Az and lives in OH. Left it reg in Az and now 10yrs later no tax no problem...

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.