Need a good set of eyes! >

Need a good set of eyes!

Notices

Need a good set of eyes!

Old 05-31-2017, 11:27 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a good set of eyes!

Looking at a 1996 boat located in Sarasota. I'm in Houston. What is my best approach here? Survey? Inspection? Being a 96 and it has some areas in the glass that may need work, I want to know where to start without wasting my time or the sellers. Any advice or recommendations is much appreciated. Thanks!
Old 06-04-2017, 01:25 PM
Registered

The only real choice is to pay for a survey. I'm currently looking at boats in other states too. But, ask for some detailed pics, then decide if you like it enough to spend the $$ on a survey. Done. Then, ship it!
Of course, the alternative to a survey is to buy a plane ticket and inspect it yourself. Seems like the costs will be about the same either way. I just can't keep taking time off to go look at boats, so a survey is going
to be my remedy if I buy a boat out of reasonable one day driving range.
Old 06-04-2017, 03:33 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamin05
Looking at a 1996 boat located in Sarasota. I'm in Houston. What is my best approach here? Survey? Inspection? Being a 96 and it has some areas in the glass that may need work, I want to know where to start without wasting my time or the sellers. Any advice or recommendations is much appreciated. Thanks!
IMO, survey is only as good and the guy doing it. Personally, if I was real serious about it, I would jump on a Southwest flight to Tampa, rent a car and go look at it myself. Not that expensive and you can lay your own eyes on it. I have made several boat looking trips in the past and it's always been better for me to see it in person. It's cheap enough that if you don't like the boat, it won't break you and you won't make a bad decision. If you like it, assess what you think it needs, glass work, interior, trailer, etc., and then pay a mechanic or have it taken to a respected marine shop (on your dime) to inspect boat and motor(s) and do a compression and/or leakdown test. You can then get some recommendations for a GOOD surveyor while you are there if you choose.
Old 06-04-2017, 06:18 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Inspection

Steve berlin ,great surveyor in that area !
Old 06-04-2017, 06:54 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,118 Likes on 469 Posts

Insist on lots of CURRENT photos first. Ask for specific pics of any potential problem areas. if you can't get them, move on to something else.

With good photos, if you like it, jump on a plane but if you're not confident you have the knowledge to pick any faults yourself, stay home and pay a surveyor with the travel money instead. You've got a good recommendation above from a trusted member. (Sy Goldberg)

It is possible to buy a boat unseen if you have good photos and a reputable surveyor who checks the boat and backs up the photos as current. I've done it before and been very happy.

Good luck shopping.

RR
Old 06-06-2017, 09:51 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 65 Likes on 37 Posts

Originally Posted by Dreamin05
This is the guy you want if your looking a performance boat in Fla; hands down!
Performance Marine Surveyors, Inc. - HOME - Boca Raton, FL
Old 06-06-2017, 12:02 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Rhythm and Blues
This is the guy you want if your looking a performance boat in Fla; hands down!
Performance Marine Surveyors, Inc. - HOME - Boca Raton, FL
+1
Old 06-06-2017, 03:40 PM
Offshoreonly Advertiser
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts
Default surveyors

I agree on using Ed Cozzi and he has done many surveys for TOTAL DOLLAR,but he is a distance away and that is why I mentioned Steve Berlin because his is local and well qualified also.
Old 06-20-2017, 11:47 PM
Registered

Ed Cozzi is the man hands down! excellent work ethic and very thorough.