Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
Beware Insurance Surveyors >

Beware Insurance Surveyors

Notices

Beware Insurance Surveyors

Old 02-13-2020, 08:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

BUP are the insurance companies accepting these surveys or are they rejecting them (I would reject)?

I had one for a 39 Image Express cat that was basically 1 page with a picture of the boat sitting in the water in it's covered slip looking fr4om the front. Then page 2 was a general description on the boat (they did at least note the HIN #) consisting of about 2/3 of a page of information of which most was just describing the general condition and the type of engines.

I would have rejected this except the owner is also the landlord that owns the building the insurance company head office is located in. Left it up to them to decide.
Old 02-13-2020, 10:20 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

This is huge issue as your boating claims are being covered by insurance thugs. BoatUS/Geico is a huge player in this field and they consistently use unqualified surveyors.
One of the designations these surveyors use is this https://www.iamimarine.org/IAMI-History they are literally an association designed for the insurance industry. They pretend to be forensic engineers. The are very unqualified.
Matter of fact there are several who are members here and read these posts.
Old 02-20-2020, 11:41 AM
Registered

Received 45 Likes on 24 Posts

Another trick incompetent surveyors will do for insurance companies is miraculously rate engine HP by looks.
Old 02-20-2020, 12:32 PM
BUP
Banned

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Cerberus66
Another trick incompetent surveyors will do for insurance companies is miraculously rate engine HP by looks.

This is an old trick that some play with insurance and selling their boats and or engines. Whomever buys a engine top cover that says for a great example the Mercruiser 496 MAG or HO MAG top engine cover.

I have caught this trick many of times. A scan tool for efi engines tells the model and the calibration numbers. Like I said and this has been going on for years even with carb engines and the hat cover over the carb and or flame arrestor stickers