Notices

small boat insurance

Old 07-11-2021, 11:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default small boat insurance

Is there more to it than liability? I just have that on our small Bayliner. just curious.
Old 07-26-2021, 12:12 PM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by [email protected]
Is there more to it than liability? I just have that on our small Bayliner. just curious.
Yes. Just like car there is collision, comp, etc. Depends on being in a no fault state or not, but what happens in a at fault state in a collision? are you protected without collision, possibly under liability but thats an insurance question.

Logically it depends on your risk factors and what you do and then what you want to risk and how much to want to pay to mitigate risk. Keep in mind that boat is insured as by your auto as long as its hooked to the truck, dont let anybody tell you elsewise, your boat sitting or stored at home may or may not be covered under your home owners. Typically home owners will only cover up to a certain amount and you may need an umbrella policy to cover it.

Anyways whats your boat worth and whats your risk, maybe having collision and having a bare bones policy is what makes sense. Just me with a boat, liability is a must, some states might require it. Depending on your insurance company your boat sinking might be under liability or another line item. Boats arent just sinking all the time, but if your boat does sink between fines and recovery the bill could be tens of thousands of dollars if not more.

People are often bad with insurance. They look for the cheapest without understanding the coverage the other end of the spectrum is they over insure.

Last edited by soldier4402; 07-26-2021 at 01:35 PM.