Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > General Discussion > Insurance and Finance
Does Boat insurance cover props? >

Does Boat insurance cover props?

Notices

Does Boat insurance cover props?

Old 05-11-2022, 12:05 PM
Registered

Received 224 Likes on 126 Posts

I always removed my props if not inside a building anywhere, whether in my driveway or a fenced in yard.
Crackhead thieves will break a car window to steal a battery for the five bucks it might bring at scrap.
So no telling.
I guess most fenced in yards are lucky thieves haven't caught on to stainless props, whether scrap or to sell on the black market.
Drives also. But with props no second guy needed.
Socket and a cordless impact and a half hour, probably have the whole storage stripped of props.
Old 05-12-2022, 06:06 AM
Registered

Received 221 Likes on 117 Posts

Yep, If the boat is on shore or I am trailering somewhere the prop is off. It does not take long to remove or install and I don't have to worry about theft or accidental damage. The boat is stored on a lift in front of my house. I do worry about theft on the lift as it sits there totally exposed to anyone in z small boat. I wonder if I am covered by insurance, maybe even homeowners?

Padraig
Old 05-14-2022, 08:43 PM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Padraig View Post
Yep, If the boat is on shore or I am trailering somewhere the prop is off. It does not take long to remove or install and I don't have to worry about theft or accidental damage. The boat is stored on a lift in front of my house. I do worry about theft on the lift as it sits there totally exposed to anyone in z small boat. I wonder if I am covered by insurance, maybe even homeowners?

Padraig
homeowners wont cover it if its on the boat. the boat policy is the only way to get coverage. if it were in your garage and someone broke in thats a different story
Old 05-16-2022, 01:01 PM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 700 Likes on 307 Posts

Remember, a prop cover is a solid investment on many accounts. Thieves don't usually steal what they can't see. That's how simple tonneau covers on trucks work.
Buy a prop lock.
Install it, and then install the cover over the prop lock. You don't have the shiny lure hanging out there attracting attention, and a potential thief won't know what their up against until they spend more time investigating, which they don't like to do.