Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Jaguar (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/jaguar-129/)
-   -   35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both??? (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/jaguar/205050-35-jaguar-4-american-express-both.html)

bobsbillets 03-17-2009 01:47 PM

35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both???

I recently purchased a 1991 35' Jaguar hull. I have talked to some of the other Jag owners on here regarding this hull. Thanks for all the help guys. I am turning this old race boat into a pleasure boat. I own a 28' Eliminator daytona that was in an accident. The hull is not worth fixing and I got a good deal on the Jag. I am going to rig the Jaguar with the running gear from the Eliminator. This hull is the multi colored one that belonged to the chevy dealer. You can see a pic of it in the Misc. Jag pictures thread. As I am working on this thing I am wondering actually which hull I have and the history of it. I'm totally confused now. I was looking at the pics of #4 Jag and figured from the grey and purple hints i could see that is the boat I have. The reason for this is there is purple and grey under the white which i have to sand to get to the fiberglass. Well the Myco trailer I have does not have a plate on it. The Vin tag is barely readable. I called Myco and they sent me a replacement tag so I could goto DMV and register it. When I was on the phone the lady asked me if I wanted a copy of the original invoice. I said "sure". Well when it showed up I looked at it and the original owner was the American Express race team. Now I was looking again and in post #179 shows a 1991 Jag American Express. My boat is a 1991. I am plugging the small holes on the side of the boat where bilge water would come out. The paint and/or gel coat there is about 1/8 thick and a few different colors. Im beginning to think that this boat may have changed hands with both of these teams. Who knows. Its a mystery to me. I tried to call Jack Clark to maybe get more info, but he never returned any of my calls. Anybody with any info would be greatly appreciated.

Dueclaws 03-17-2009 07:05 PM

Bob-
Congratulations on your purchase. :Score-101010:The Jags are some of the strongest hulls available, in my opinion. I don't know the history of your boat, but someone on OSO probably does. Try posting a short question and a link to this forum on the general forum.
Best of luck
Due

aex 03-17-2009 09:01 PM

Your boat was originally American Express D 19 , a 1991 hull . I ran '91 as an APBA "D" class boat and then OPT open class in the Hudson race . It became #4 Shooters , then Heavy Metal and from there I don't know .
Good luck with your project .

bobsbillets 03-17-2009 09:53 PM

Cool. Thanks for the info. Explains why the paint/gel coat is so thick. Nobody sanded completly before repaint.

fobes 03-18-2009 03:25 AM

Congrats on the Jag, nice hulls. Can you post some pics?
Matt

bobsbillets 03-18-2009 08:04 PM

Look at post #7 in the Misc Jag Photos. At this time that is what it looks like. I will post photos once I get a resonable amount of work done. Probably in the next couple of weeks. I am going to leave the multi colors on the side for this summer. I am just trying to do all the glass work and have this thing on the water this summer. Summer is getting here too quick:eek:

Dueclaws 03-19-2009 08:39 AM

Looking forward to your posts!
Due

bobsbillets 03-21-2009 12:07 PM

3 Attachment(s)
Since you guys want to see pics I thought I'd post a couple of what the boat looked like when I first brought it home.

bobsbillets 03-23-2009 02:21 PM

2 Attachment(s)
We all know weight = performance. We have also herd how heavy these hulls are. I have talked to Doug (Jag #1) and AEX (which was the original owner of my hull)about there hull weights. They both say that there boats weighed in at 11,000 pds. That is off the trailer. Well I have weighed mine with minimal rigging and about 1/2 the interior I will be using and it came in at 8100 with the trailer. I talked to Myco and they said the trailer weighed about 3000 pds. I am lucky I have a scale about 5 min from the house. Anyways at the last weigh in I did nt realize I had about 25 gallons of water in the nose of the boat from the recent rains. So I figure ok I sucked out about 150-200 pds of water with the shop vac. Well I got a wild hair up my ass today and I wanted to weigh the trailer by itself. Well I'm glad to say that Myco is wrong on the trailer weight. It weighs 3400 pds. So take 8100 - 200 for water and -3400 trailer you get 4500 pds hull weight. I am putting in aluminum tanks 75 gal ea so I will have 1000 pds in gas when full. How in the hell do motors, drives, and gas weigh 6500 pds? I am shooting for 8500 pds running weight. I figure 1000 pds for gas, motors drives 2500 pds, and 500 pds for other half interior and batteries, wiring ,ect. So 500+2500+1000+4500= 8500. Anybody agree or disagree with my weight estimates? Boat is safely back on the trailer too!

aex 03-23-2009 04:54 PM

All I can tell you is anything we didn't need to run was ommited . It came with 150 gal fuel cells just ahead of the cockpit and that sucked , ran like **** with a fuel load .( We never did fill them either ) Mount your tanks directly under the cockpit , and reconsider the 75 gal capacity , with rad motors buzzin' that won't get you too far .
BTW our Merc power pkgs were 1500 lbs per side exactly and for sure , not including , tailpipes , steering system , plumbing , wiring , controls and a bunch of other stuff you do need .
I don't see any rear shots , is the aluminum tunnel extension still there ? Jack said we had to add it after we rigged the boat because the tie bars hang close to the tunnel area and would snap while running .
Maybe someone glassed a lead weight in it when I first got it ! After the surprises I got on that project it wouldn't shock me . Also what was Doug's Jag originally raced as ? I'm glad he confirmed the weight , I know I didn't imagine it , I used to call her " too fat to fly " after the 50 Express stored at Fort Apache .
Good luck kid , I'll send you some photos this week .

bobsbillets 03-23-2009 08:10 PM

The tunnel extension is there but removed at this time. Your mercury setup with the speedmasters probably did weigh that much. I am going to a XR setup on this boat. The reason is I have everything. Before I got this hull I wanted a 33 Daytona. Well I could nt find an empty hull I could afford. They claim 8500-9000 running weight for that hull. Almost all I have seen are XR boats. Im not saying that I wont break them, but like i said it is all I can afford at this time. So I figured since I am boating on a budget and I have everything I'd rig it that way. That is also why I am trying to keep running weight as low as possible. The 28 Daytona tall deck is a very heavy boat. After weighing I figured that boat had about a 7500 pd running weight. It came with standard bravos when I bought it and it ran for a few summers like that with my whippled 502s. Well after running the piss out of it one drive let go. I got a good deal on the XRs and i have nt had a problem since. Also 150 gal of gas was a decent amount of fuel. Not too much, but not enough either and since this is going to be a river/lake boat that amount of fuel is fine. I also have Imco stand off boxes in which the steering linkage is mounted to the box, therefore I wont need to run that ugly extension. Fuel tanks are being mounted about 8 feet further back then those fuel cells were. Im sure when I'm done it will be a night and day difference than when you ran it.

aex 03-24-2009 07:49 AM

Sounds like you've got it under control .
You'll enjoy the boat immensely . Best of luck with it !

bobsbillets 03-24-2009 09:34 AM

Thanks! Yes this is not my first project boat or doing fiberglass and gelcoat work. I am not a pro, but know enough to keep myself out of trouble. :rolleyes: Looking forward to those pictures.

Dueclaws 03-24-2009 10:25 AM

Jack told me the same thing about the aluminum tunnel "extension": that it was there to protect the tie bar, but it didn't provide any "lift:. Regardless, I removed it (to help reduce weight) and haven't had any problems with the tie bar.

Unfortunately, I haven't weighed my Jag; maybe this year there will be time. IMHO, Doug's boat is somewhat heavier than yours because he has an upholstered cabin and cockpit. I believe they all have double cored bottoms and thick-cored sides. No wood though, which is good.
Due

27daytona 03-24-2009 09:13 PM

Bob, Show up at desert storm and I'll take you out in my Jag. Hope to see you there. Post some pics of your build. Can't wait to see them. Doug

Dueclaws 03-25-2009 09:30 AM

Doug-
Please post photos of your Jag at Desert Storm. At least you're having fun:drink:.
Due

SS930 11-04-2010 06:34 AM

How does the old girl look these days, any update?

Edit: sorry, I just found a more recent thread...

PowerboatsNW 06-22-2017 12:08 AM

For sale without power, drives and gimbals. Joe 253-606-2816