Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Jaguar
35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both??? >

35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both???

Notices

35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both???

Old 03-17-2009, 01:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both???

I recently purchased a 1991 35' Jaguar hull. I have talked to some of the other Jag owners on here regarding this hull. Thanks for all the help guys. I am turning this old race boat into a pleasure boat. I own a 28' Eliminator daytona that was in an accident. The hull is not worth fixing and I got a good deal on the Jag. I am going to rig the Jaguar with the running gear from the Eliminator. This hull is the multi colored one that belonged to the chevy dealer. You can see a pic of it in the Misc. Jag pictures thread. As I am working on this thing I am wondering actually which hull I have and the history of it. I'm totally confused now. I was looking at the pics of #4 Jag and figured from the grey and purple hints i could see that is the boat I have. The reason for this is there is purple and grey under the white which i have to sand to get to the fiberglass. Well the Myco trailer I have does not have a plate on it. The Vin tag is barely readable. I called Myco and they sent me a replacement tag so I could goto DMV and register it. When I was on the phone the lady asked me if I wanted a copy of the original invoice. I said "sure". Well when it showed up I looked at it and the original owner was the American Express race team. Now I was looking again and in post #179 shows a 1991 Jag American Express. My boat is a 1991. I am plugging the small holes on the side of the boat where bilge water would come out. The paint and/or gel coat there is about 1/8 thick and a few different colors. Im beginning to think that this boat may have changed hands with both of these teams. Who knows. Its a mystery to me. I tried to call Jack Clark to maybe get more info, but he never returned any of my calls. Anybody with any info would be greatly appreciated.

Last edited by bobsbillets; 03-17-2009 at 05:26 PM.
Old 03-17-2009, 07:05 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Bob-
Congratulations on your purchase. The Jags are some of the strongest hulls available, in my opinion. I don't know the history of your boat, but someone on OSO probably does. Try posting a short question and a link to this forum on the general forum.
Best of luck
Due
Old 03-17-2009, 09:01 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

Your boat was originally American Express D 19 , a 1991 hull . I ran '91 as an APBA "D" class boat and then OPT open class in the Hudson race . It became #4 Shooters , then Heavy Metal and from there I don't know .
Good luck with your project .
Old 03-17-2009, 09:53 PM
Registered

Cool. Thanks for the info. Explains why the paint/gel coat is so thick. Nobody sanded completly before repaint.

Last edited by bobsbillets; 03-17-2009 at 09:56 PM.
Old 03-18-2009, 03:25 AM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Congrats on the Jag, nice hulls. Can you post some pics?
Matt
Old 03-18-2009, 08:04 PM
Registered

Look at post #7 in the Misc Jag Photos. At this time that is what it looks like. I will post photos once I get a resonable amount of work done. Probably in the next couple of weeks. I am going to leave the multi colors on the side for this summer. I am just trying to do all the glass work and have this thing on the water this summer. Summer is getting here too quick
Old 03-19-2009, 08:39 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Looking forward to your posts!
Due
Old 03-21-2009, 12:07 PM
Registered

Since you guys want to see pics I thought I'd post a couple of what the boat looked like when I first brought it home.
Attached Thumbnails 35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both???-new-boat-004.jpg   35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both???-new-boat-001.jpg   35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both???-new-boat-024.jpg  

Last edited by bobsbillets; 03-23-2009 at 02:26 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 02:21 PM
Registered

We all know weight = performance. We have also herd how heavy these hulls are. I have talked to Doug (Jag #1) and AEX (which was the original owner of my hull)about there hull weights. They both say that there boats weighed in at 11,000 pds. That is off the trailer. Well I have weighed mine with minimal rigging and about 1/2 the interior I will be using and it came in at 8100 with the trailer. I talked to Myco and they said the trailer weighed about 3000 pds. I am lucky I have a scale about 5 min from the house. Anyways at the last weigh in I did nt realize I had about 25 gallons of water in the nose of the boat from the recent rains. So I figure ok I sucked out about 150-200 pds of water with the shop vac. Well I got a wild hair up my ass today and I wanted to weigh the trailer by itself. Well I'm glad to say that Myco is wrong on the trailer weight. It weighs 3400 pds. So take 8100 - 200 for water and -3400 trailer you get 4500 pds hull weight. I am putting in aluminum tanks 75 gal ea so I will have 1000 pds in gas when full. How in the hell do motors, drives, and gas weigh 6500 pds? I am shooting for 8500 pds running weight. I figure 1000 pds for gas, motors drives 2500 pds, and 500 pds for other half interior and batteries, wiring ,ect. So 500+2500+1000+4500= 8500. Anybody agree or disagree with my weight estimates? Boat is safely back on the trailer too!
Attached Thumbnails 35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both???-boatofftrailer-001.jpg   35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both???-boatofftrailer-003.jpg  

Last edited by bobsbillets; 03-23-2009 at 02:30 PM.
Old 03-23-2009, 04:54 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

All I can tell you is anything we didn't need to run was ommited . It came with 150 gal fuel cells just ahead of the cockpit and that sucked , ran like **** with a fuel load .( We never did fill them either ) Mount your tanks directly under the cockpit , and reconsider the 75 gal capacity , with rad motors buzzin' that won't get you too far .
BTW our Merc power pkgs were 1500 lbs per side exactly and for sure , not including , tailpipes , steering system , plumbing , wiring , controls and a bunch of other stuff you do need .
I don't see any rear shots , is the aluminum tunnel extension still there ? Jack said we had to add it after we rigged the boat because the tie bars hang close to the tunnel area and would snap while running .
Maybe someone glassed a lead weight in it when I first got it ! After the surprises I got on that project it wouldn't shock me . Also what was Doug's Jag originally raced as ? I'm glad he confirmed the weight , I know I didn't imagine it , I used to call her " too fat to fly " after the 50 Express stored at Fort Apache .
Good luck kid , I'll send you some photos this week .

Quick Reply: 35' Jaguar #4 or American Express or both???

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.