Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Jaguar
Bob's Jag >

Bob's Jag

Notices

Bob's Jag

Old 09-07-2010, 01:49 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have to agree that that i think the diameter would help alot.
Old 09-07-2010, 03:42 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
The Jags are great in the rough ! Hammer down and go !
I was fortunate enough to own one of the last Chris Cats built . The later ones were still slopily built but foam cored so the core was a lot lighter and couldn't absorb the resin they gratuitously slobbered evrywhere during construction .
I had all the wood ( bulkheads , stringers , transom ) removed and replaced with foam / epoxy vaccum bagged replacements . They also ground all the excess slop from inside and cleared the entire inside with awlgrip . It's a sight to behold . I haven't weighed it yet but the builders estimated we shed almost 800 lbs . These guys are real artisans whose resumes include everything from America's Cup winning yachts to aircraft parts . I'm very fortunate to have close ties with these huys otherwise they would never even consider a project like this .
My Chris ( race hull w canopies ) ran low 120's with 1500 horses and I know this for sure . We dusted the video chopper at one race and the pilots told me they could run 115 max with the doors open and couldn't catch us . At that race we also set an average course speed record of almost 118 mph for the 90 mile event . Those were the days !
I to this day can't figure why my Jag was so hefty . I've always liked the Jags 'cause they look like missiles and have clean sharp lines .
I used to rev my motors to the wood , Bob's boat with blowers should make significant torque and propel him to high speeds without pushing the rpm .
I'm very impressed with his project and glad to see how well it has progressed .
You Jag guys got it goin' on . I'll keep an eye here to monitor progress .
PS , I was around when Gifford's Jag was brand new , what a vessel that was .
Best wishes and luck to you all .
Jim
Jim-
That sounds like a lot of work and you removed some serious weight! Let us know where you post the photos.
Thanks!
Old 09-07-2010, 08:21 PM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

First off let me say it took some coyones to flip that 35 Jag and I know because I've done it several times .
My Chris is in finish primer ready to rig . Presently motors and misc parts are being prepped . I've dogged it because my family , work , other projects and my 42 Fountain keep me occupied . I really want a high quality authentic restoration and am doing it in it's original livery . This is my favorite boat ever .
I actually knocked the Chris off and called it a 31 Rodeo ( sorry George ) in the early 90's . The hull weighed nothing , ride and speeds were asolutely ridiculous . Unfortunately fast potato chip hulls crack and with a local bank crisis / rebounding local economy I pulled the plug and sold the company . We at Rodeo actually built little boats ( 8' 13' 16' 19' ) so the cat was just an ego thing .
The good thing about being in the boat business here in Rhode Island is I made lifelong uber talented contacts who would dare take on a crummy restoration job like this and provide NASA quality .
Check out the my last few posts you'll see some shots of the finished structure . My first few shots show all the rotted wood , what a mess . One interesting point , if this hull wasn't foam cored I would have scrapped it , Jags are all foam as mine is now so these hulls should linger long after were gone .

http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/c...project-2.html
Old 09-07-2010, 08:39 PM
Registered

Actually flipping the boat was very easy. I laid out a bunch of old carpet and used the forklift and straps. No surprises and like i said was very easy. Had the forlift boom out and as was booming back in lifting at the same time rolled it right over. I actually have video of it. I can email if you want to see how smooth it was. I have a hot boat magazine test where they tested the 35 Jag and they claim that they have 750 N.A. H.P. and had it at 118 MPH. I dont see hows that possible given the speeds im seeing with 725 supercharged H.P. Have any ideas?
Old 09-08-2010, 11:04 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Jim-
I looked at you resto postings: awesome job!
And I love the M-2.

Also saw this photo of your Jag and Gifford on your resto page.

Thanks
John
Attached Images  
Old 09-08-2010, 09:33 PM
aex
Registered

Originally Posted by Dueclaws
Jim-
I looked at you resto postings: awesome job!
And I love the M-2.

Also saw this photo of your Jag and Gifford on your resto page.

Thanks
John
Thank You .
Unfortunately the M2 was a failure . Construction done in South Africa was questionable , boat too heavy , motors too small . I was involved in concept , design and testing . Once the big money guys , idiot architects and charlatan builders got involved it became a cluster F .
The following renderings depict what I designed and lobbied for , the Andromeda , but she never made it off the drawing board in pure form . They took a sleek luxury racer and made it look like every other yacht , added a 2nd bathroom etc. The boat morphed way off the initial design/concept .
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...andromeda1.jpg
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/a...-andromeda.jpg
The M2 60" presently sits in Ft Lauderdale for sale at a fraction of it's initial cost . Had that boat been done by my boys in Bristol I'm sure the end result would have been much , much different .
Old 09-09-2010, 08:30 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by
[url
http://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/attachments/classic-offshore/365732d1225037490-my-resto-project-andromeda1.jpg[/url]
http://<br /> http://www.offshoreon...-andromeda.jpg
The M2 60" presently sits in Ft Lauderdale for sale at a fraction of it's initial cost . Had that boat been done by my boys in Bristol I'm sure the end result would have been much , much different .
Jim-
I forgot to add that I liked the Andromeda design more than the M2's original: too bad it didn't work out for you.
Please let us know when your Chris is running.

Bob- I know they're pricy, but have you considered the Hering 6 blade props? Since diameter is not an option for the Bravos, an extra blade might help.
John
Old 09-09-2010, 07:32 PM
Registered

I have a set of 32P 5 blade maximus props. They have a better cruise speed than the 36P, but are about 2-3 MPH slower on the top. I would think 6 blades would be even slower.
Old 09-10-2010, 07:39 AM
aex
Registered

Bob , on my pleasure boat ( V hull ) I definitely go for cruise efficiency and sacrifice the top end . We all know high speed props lack in lower speed efficiency , however if you run nuts out always it may not be a consideration .
G&G will do prop exchanges as well as B Blades ( I think ) give them a shout . You are in uncharted waters here and just need to keep testing , you've probably got the only Jag ever with Bravos .
What did they use for props on the center console ? That data may help out .
Old 09-11-2010, 10:31 AM
Registered

Yes I probably have the only one with bravos. Actually the cruise speed between the 32 and 36 are about the same. Its just that one is a 5 blade 32 and one is a 4 blade 36. Just goes to show the difference between 4 and 5 blades. I think the 4 blade may be a little easier on the drive (more slip) so I am using those. Maybe I will contact brett and give him all my info and see what he has to say. My problem is im looking for 10+ mph and I dont think a prop change will do that without changing the setup some way. I.E. more engine power, ect.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.