Jim-
Looks like it was a sweet ride in 1991!
John
Old 09-16-2010, 09:00 AM
aex
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 3 Posts

And still a sweet ride bro .
Notice that mofo was right on top , still we only got a buck out of it .
Old 09-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Boat weighs 7200 pds. dry ready to run...The only place i saw anything black leading me to believe there was carbon was the transon when i was pluggin the drive holes. I saw 1 layer that looked like carbon fiber. I did all the glass work and modifications to the boat. Unless you saw them place carbon in the mold, I think its another one of those surprises you were talking about. All the other glass I worked on throughout the boat looked like any other type of standard fiberglass material.
Old 09-16-2010, 09:09 PM
aex
Registered

Good weight , we were almost 11000 lbs fueled . Our drives were heavier , driveshafts , gear boxes , canopies etc. One thing I'm positive of is the strain that bare hull put the lifting mechanism that hoisted my previous race boat with ease . Also I saw core samples during rigging there was carbon in the reinforcements and I remember carbon ringed openings but hey , that was many years and many boats ago .
Is the inside transom still skinned with 1/4" aluminum plate ? Jack had us put it there for fear bolts would pull through the Airex .

Last edited by aex; 09-16-2010 at 09:13 PM.
Old 09-17-2010, 05:49 PM
Registered

Nope not any more. I took all that stuff out. Actually never saw a aluminum "skin" on the transom. I did put 2 layers of 1708 on the transom on the inside once i plugged all the holes up to help it a bit. Boat has a very solid ride to it. My eliminator would flex a tiny bit when in big water, but this boat can take a beatin and keep on tickin....
Old 09-18-2010, 08:15 AM
aex
Registered

Yes , the Jag is rugged . The bottom is about 2" thick and the entire hull is well reinforced .
Like anything common sense goes a long way . When I ran that boat my one and only race partner ever Anthony was and is a great guy but not very mechanical , so in the interest of peace we did follow Jack's guidelines much to my chagrin . I didn't have the nuts to veto a couple of things 'cause if we suffered a failure due to my descision the consequences would have been very expensive . We even had a full aluminum engine frame around the entire engine bed which I felt was unnecessary added weight .
I always thought outside the box . My experience with muscle cars and exotics shaped my thoughts . In 1988 when I built my first set of marine race engines , where most guys ran 496's with 4.25" cranks at 6000 revs I used big bore Bowtie blocks with 3.9 strokes , titanium valves and spun 'em 7200 + revs . Back then you could only buy 1150 Dominators so I had a guy in the Midwest modify them to like 1270cfm or something like that . In our class you could only run a single carb and 1000 CI max . This was all a well kept secret .
Finally in '92 or '93 Merc and Sterling introduced 7200 rpm motors injected motors for Open Class .
Anyway with the weight you shaved and the additional torque your blowers add to the equation the hull speed should increase significantly . I know you are presently wrestling with prop selection , but time , work and patience your project will garner significant gains .
Right now it obvious to me you've created a turn key reliable package .
Keep at it .
Old 09-18-2010, 09:43 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by aex
We even had a full aluminum engine frame around the entire engine bed which I felt was unnecessary added weight .Keep at it .
My Jag had this too, but removed it along with much of the other "stuff". Note: mine also has carbon reinforcement in some areas.

Bob- Have you dyno'd the engines?
Best
John
Old 09-18-2010, 11:01 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

wasn't the aluminum frame set up design to be able to move the motor forward and aft before the race, depending on water conditions.
Old 09-18-2010, 04:16 PM
Registered

My engines dynoed 720 H.P. and 790 TQ.
Old 09-20-2010, 12:26 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by CIG3
wasn't the aluminum frame set up design to be able to move the motor forward and aft before the race, depending on water conditions.
I didn't see any extra holes in the frame that would allow relocation of the engines: don't know if that was the plan. There was extensive gusseting throughout the engine compartment. Jack Clark told me that Gifford had planned to try and break the NY to Miami record, but Gifford never made the attempt.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.